Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 3rd quarter

Mr mopar

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I watched HPI Guy's review-build of the new issue, and I didn't see the JL2 bonnet. 

I know that the 1969 [phantom] COPO Nova and the Yenko Nova include stock exhaust manifolds, but those kits have a newer-tooling Mark IV; witness the separate oil pan and different belts/pulleys (including the A.I.R. Pump-sans-plumbing). 
I haven't tried to see if they interchange between the c.1990 tooling 396-427-454 and the newer (c.2010?) BBC.

While the Chambered Exhaust doesn't bother me (my planned build of the COPO Camaro is of a SS/DA car -- open headers is all it'll have), it truly is a rare/unusual option for the X-bodies (likely the F-bodies as well).

The Yenko kit was a small block, as was the Nova SS. The Revell 68 El Camino may have the correct  big block stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust can be modified to fit. The Revell 66 Chevelle wagon has stock BB exhaust manifolds.

Edited by mikemodeler

22 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The Yenko kit was a small block, as was the Nova SS. The Revell 68 El Camino may have the correct  big block stock exhaust manifolds. The exhaust can be modified to fit. The Revell 66 Chevelle wagon has stock BB exhaust manifolds.

The Yenko Nova was a big block.

shopping.webp.10991b57768913cf898bf1b4d05e6557.webp

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I stand corrected! I thought it was the LT-1 version, my bad.

You're thinking of the 1970 Yenko Deuce Nova -- that had the LT-1. 
Now... when is someone going to make a kit of the 1970 COPO Nova? 
C;mon, Revell, you already have the 1969 as a starting point...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

You're thinking of the 1970 Yenko Deuce Nova -- that had the LT-1. 
Now... when is someone going to make a kit of the 1970 COPO Nova? 
C;mon, Revell, you already have the 1969 as a starting point...

Just remove the fake front fender gills on the '69 COPO Nova and you would be very close. That kit has both a bench seat and buckets so you could make a 396SS also.  

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

What are the differences between the Yenko and COPO besides the wheels?

The fake COPO has all the parts you need to build an actual Yenko Nova. Non-SS grille and rear trim, flat hood, bench seat, poverty wheels, etc. Then the parts left over from the two, and the decals included with the COPO kit you can make a reasonably accurate SS396 Nova.

Actually if you wanted to do that, the cheap and easy "trick" - so you don't lose any parts moving stuff around - is to swap the decal sheets between the two kits. *Poof* Yenko Nova and SS396 Nova. Now with the ice cube tray Camaro coming along you could have both Yenko and SS396 versions of both cars display together (along with SS350 ones)

Edited by niteowl7710

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the new kits. The 442 seems interesting. I work at a Chevy dealer and this young kid comes up to me and says he wants to restore a old camaro. So I’m thinking .. maybe a 67 -70. But he said a 1986. At first I was shocked but to him 1986 was a long time ago. So what I think is a old classic, it’s different in a young persons eyes. So I believe revell hit the mark with their kits. These are old classics in a young persons eyes. Do you really feel old now? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I guess I'll stick this here since no Future Revell thread manages to survive around here. But today my LHS received into the joint -

'67 Corvette Coupe

'70 Buick GSX

'37 Ford P/U

'66 Malibu Street Machine

'69 Camaro SS396

Glad to hear the '37 trucks are finally hitting the shelves.  Seems like that one has been in the pipeline forever.  Maybe its just my perception since that's the main one I'm intersted in.

Edited by Robberbaron

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Glad to hear the '37 trucks are finally hitting the shelves.  Seems like that one has been in the pipeline forever.  Maybe its just my perception sine that's the main one I'm intersted in.

I’ve been excited for that one too - good news! 

1 hour ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

They're starting to pop up online, but the prices are wallet hurting.

LHS is priced at $29.50 for all of the above. That's a $1.50 more than stuff that came in back towards the Winter, but is still less than pretty much everything else coming in other than the 2022 Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ Tamiya kits which are $29 even...

3 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Ask yourself the following question:

- how many parts need to be added?

1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

Grill & Bumpers and interior ? 

Also hood (though they look similar with the W-30 scoops, the 71/72 hood was revised due to the grill redesign)

I'm looking forward to getting the old '66 Malibu Street Machine! I want to build it like the original box art. I have the flame decals in the stash. I never have understood why Monogram called it a Malibu instead of a Chevelle. They did the same thing with the '70.

• Like 2