Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Ferrari 275 GTB

This is a Vroom brand 1/43rd resin kit.  The body is pretty thin and feels a bit delicate and somewhat brittle.  Overall it's a good casting with moderate to mild surface texture and has that aromatic smell that some people hate.  (It sparks fond memories for me.)

The flash in the windows is not even paper thin on the left, but heavier on the right side so that will have to be addressed when fitting the glass.

C3hvuwT.jpg

There is also a fissure along the right front fender by the louvers, (most likely from a worn or cracked mold).  It may sand out, but it could need filler to retain the shape of the nicely rendered body.

WgWSliQ.jpg

There were several skinned over holes on the bottom of the body.  Rather than risk them being an issue later I "popped" them, shaved out the edges and filled the holes with CA. 

IOFOk52.jpg

A coat of primer just on the bottom shows those issues are close to fully fixed and I will move onto cleaning up the top sides of the body.  It also shows another one of those fissures in the right side rocker…

PI4sqes.jpg

• Like 2

Turns out this resin actually is quite nice to work with; not as brittle as it first seemed.  It is relatively hard, but it takes scribing well. 

I had to remove a good amount of material from the insides of the right window area to get the windows the fit properly.

dwwZxFJ.jpg

All the panel lines, louvers and trim were scribed in.  The little fissures were sanded out with no need for filler.  I also drilled holes for the wipers and the filler caps. 

One of the caps is missing from the kit parts, but I have an extra from the TR250 I just finished that will fit perfectly.

P8pKGqd.jpg

The B pillar was so thin on the left side that the louvers became open when I cleaned them up.  I put a piece of thin Tamiya tape on the inside to close them.

Y8Kpff9.jpg

The windows were vacuum formed as one piece.  I cut the rear window off and was able to make the sides and windshield fit as one piece. 

The four headlight covers are molded in the piece on the right.

Mfw9OMB.jpg

The headlight covers are less than a quarter inch at the largest point, the driving lights are less than a tenth of an inch.

dl0rFj6.jpg

I decanted and airbrushed Tamiya TS-47 Chrome yellow for the color.  I built it up in four light coats spanning two days to get an even but not heavy finish.  I'm not worried about the orange peel on the left front fender; it looks worse than it really is, and it will get cut and buffed before clear coating.

KBM7XjN.jpg

• Like 1

The interior is fairly simple.  The seats are molded to the chassis.  I used some old Testors for the blue on the seats.  The shifter is a straight pin cut down to fit; provided by the kit.

3valqey.jpg

The dash has some nicely molded in detail, so I hand painted it with silver and gray and used clear gloss for the gauge faces.  I didn't see the need to make gauge decals since visibility is limited through the windows.  Getting the dash to line up with the windshield opening was fun.  A tiny drop of 5 minute epoxy was used to tack it into place while the body was on the chassis so I could slide it around until it was properly positioned.  Then it was reinforced with CA after it was dry enough to remove.

NZda84Q.jpg

I did the wood grain on the steering wheel a bit heavy to show up through the windows when it is assembled. 

ZRN1UP2.jpg

I started doing the chrome trim.  I blacked out around the windshield and rear window to look like the rubber seals.  As you can see the front fender no longer has orange peel…

8kTVBNu.jpg

The headlights are Mylar backed lenses.  The pressure sensitive glue had lost its stickiness so I cemented them in.  I had masked off the hood scoop opening with liquid mask before painting the yellow to retain some detail.

AqNuWjF.jpg

I installed the clear headlight covers too.  The recess they fit into is about as deep as the covers are thick.  Installing them after clear coating would make them not fit flush at all.  Hopefully the clear will help make them flow with the body even more. 

Ce2Lnzj.jpg

I drew up new artwork and printed a set of the 24 w/roundels. 

I had hoped that sealing the Ecurie Francorchamps fender scripts in clear would make them usable, but no such luck.  They disintegrated too as soon as they made it to the body. 

So I drew and printed new ones of those too.  At least the Ferrari badge I cleared as heavy as if it was a cloisonné survived the application.

ZIZxvSO.jpg

QhRppF5.jpg

Excellent build of one of my favorite Ferraris!

I intend to replicate this in 1/24 in grafting a modified 250 GTO-nose onto an Italeri 275 GTB/4 which also needs to be heavily modified in the back - we'll see.

I'll be definitely watching your build !

• Like 1

Despite all my test fitting during the early stages it took the better part of an hour to get the chassis and interior parts to fit all the way inside the body and the wheels to be in their proper places.  But it was worth it…  The vents have been shaded and the filler caps installed.

xcrGnrs.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master
  • Like 3

The wipers are PE, and they get "origami'd" with a half dozen bends/folds into decent looking 3D parts.

The one in the foreground is before bending it into form.  Fine tuning is needed for each one during the actual installation to fit the windshield; after the wiper blades are painted on…

tvnrKLs.jpg