Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene to bondo?

I typically use a slow curing epoxy (30 minutes minimum, though what I use takes 24 hours to full room-temp cure) plus cotton-flock to adhere dissimilar materials. 

Lotsa people think my approach is overkill, but my stuff never cracks and falls off...or cracks during sanding, polishing, etc.

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I typically use a slow curing epoxy (30 minutes minimum, though what I use takes 24 hours to full room-temp cure) plus cotton-flock to adhere dissimilar materials. 

Lotsa people think my approach is overkill, but my stuff never cracks and falls off...or cracks during sanding, polishing, etc.

Thank you Bill.

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Interesting. Never heard of this technique, but I'm gonna have to try it. Does the cotton flock allow the epoxy to be sanded like filler?

37 minutes ago, jaymcminn said:

Interesting. Never heard of this technique, but I'm gonna have to try it. Does the cotton flock allow the epoxy to be sanded like filler?

Yes...but it cures much harder than the surrounding material, so something like a Dremel has to be used to rough-shape it.

Here's an application similar to what the OP is asking about. The blue hood surround section was bonded in with epoxy/flock, shaped, then the grille section was put in, and more epoxy/flock used to form the fender cheeks below the headlight sugar-scoops.

DSCN7724.jpg

DSCN0224_zps0fdfo7j3.jpg

DSCN0232_zpsbvwytb9v.jpg

DSCN0246_zpsiyodjimm.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yes...but it cures much harder than the surrounding material, so something like a Dremel has to be used to rough-shape it.

Here's an application similar to what the OP is asking about. The blue hood surround section was bonded in with epoxy/flock, shaped, then the grille section was put in, and more epoxy/flock used to form the fender cheeks below the headlight sugar-scoops.

DSCN7724.jpg

DSCN0224_zps0fdfo7j3.jpg

DSCN0232_zpsbvwytb9v.jpg

DSCN0246_zpsiyodjimm.jpg

Geez Bill….you’ve got some really interesting and awesome builds going on.👍👍 Would you please😬finish some so we can get the full effect!😜 Or….box em up and send them to me to finish…...you’ve done all the hard work already. 🤪

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 1