Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Guilty Pleasure" Music?

Do any of you guys listen to anything that you don't really tell people that you like? Of course you do! You just don't tell people.... I like a bunch of stuff that may would raise eyebrows with some folks. One such group is The Cardigans. I can't get enough of Nina Persson's voice. This song in particular has kind of a dreamy ambient tone..... I like it a bunch....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCWHWDU6HM

Edited by JollySipper

My sister thinks it's funny that with all the hard rock and punk stuff I love, I really like the early stuff from the Bee Gees. Listen to the stuff the recorded in the 60s before they hit in the states. The harmonies are phonminal.  Same goes for the early Beach Boys. It seems like when brothers harmonize its kind of magical. The later stuff made them all millionaires but the early stuff was the good stuff. I wouldn't dream of listening to the later music of either one.

• Thanks 2

I don't consider the early Bee Gees or the Beach Boys "guilty pleasure" because I grew up with them and liked the music then and still do today. Same with the Four Seasons or anything similar from back then.

Yes, I like the hard rock and similar rock music but what comes to mind is hearing the Go-Go's or Abba. Something about Belinda Carlisle's voice does it for me and I just enjoy hearing the voices of the 2 women blending together with Abba. Don't really like the songs but the voices I can appreciate. 

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I just enjoy hearing the voices of the 2 women blending together with Abba.

I like to think of the Cardigans as an "ironic" Abba....... They're even both from Sweden.

The Cardigans have done a couple of Black Sabbath covers! Iron Man, and sounding really good in Ms. Persson's coo'ing, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath!

I also like the first Black Sabbath album. Nobody seems to like that one. As for the Bee Gees and Beach Boys. The old stuff and the newer stuff sounds like 2 different bands. Like most people immediately think of Saturday night fever when they hear Bee Gees. I think fondly of the early stuff. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, JollySipper said:

Here's another one I enjoy a lot. Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose"....... There's a bunch of really good guitar in this one!

Being Canadian, that's not a "guilty pleasure", it's more "background noise". 

Now, don't get me wrong, I do like Loverboy but if you live somewhere in Canada where you can get a few rock stations, you can hear one of their songs pretty well any time you like on the radio. 

Loverboy, Glass Tiger, Triumph, April Wine, BTO, The Guess Who, Steppenwolf [yes, the band's Canadian] Thanks to Canadian content rules you can't get away from them.

That said, my fave Loverboy tune is "Love'n Every Minuit Of It" 

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I also like the first Black Sabbath album. Nobody seems to like that one. As for the Bee Gees and Beach Boys. The old stuff and the newer stuff sounds like 2 different bands. Like most people immediately think of Saturday night fever when they hear Bee Gees. I think fondly of the early stuff. 

I've always LOVED Black Sabbath, especially The Wizard and Behind the Wall of Sleep; the title track is wonderful -- that outro kills! Ice T sampled a loop of it on The Iceberg / Freedom of Speech... Just Watch What You Say [1989] on the opening track (spoken word by Jello Biafra called A Word from Our Sponsors) .

Here's how the Bee-Gees appeared in 1967: bee-gees-1967.jpg.33e515971ab98da837bc5028f9d2ba09.jpg

While I am 61, my guilty pleasure is female pop from 2000 and on. Especially if the engineer utilizes a sub-octavizer. I have a killer 12 speaker stereo in my StreetMachine for the express purpose of listening to it LOUD! JoJo, Allie X and and a few select Taylor Swift tracks. Some others are Tove Lo, Ariana Grande and Dua Lipa. In fact I plan on going out for a 3 hour jam session this evening.

Installed amps 2.JPG

DAP and iPad charging.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

Block diagram Rev 3.JPG

• Confused 1

I don't really have guilty pleasure music. I like all types of music, and I'm not embarrassed to discuss any of them.

Back in high school though, different story! I hid every musical pleasure that wasn't metal. It just wasn't cool to admit you liked pop or dance music. Admit that I loved Depeche Mode or The Police or New Order or Duran Duran? While wearing ripped jeans, high tops, and an Exodus t-shirt? No way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1