Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy Rescue Van

Has anyone built this mess of a kit? I'm attempting to build it now, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get through it without tossing it against the wall! I was doing OK, in spite of the poor fitting parts, no mounting points, and insane instructions, but then I got to installing the engine, and it's like they put the wrong engine in the kit. once I did tear apart most of what I had built, and crammed the engine into the frame, the drive shaft is way too long. The front suspension is a nightmare too. I would already tossed it back in the box, and moved on to the next kit, but the two tone paint job on the body looks pretty good. Is it just me, or is this kit really as terrible as I think it is?

Yes, this kit can test your patience. Lots of fit issues that required “adjustments” along the way. The front suspension has, to me, been the biggest issue. It has spent lots of time just sitting, so it won’t end up meeting the wall at high speed. Hoping I can get mine done sooner than later. 

I built the first Round 2 reissue (the Dirty Donny custom) and didn't have any issues with the engine fit.  I don't recall any trouble with the front suspension either.

Dummy here wired the engine though, and even though I cut the hood open (as the early issues of this kit had it) you can barely see the front of the engine, let alone the wiring.  I've got a couple more planned, on those the hoods will stay shut and I'll only put in as much of the engine as is needed when seen from below!

• Like 1

Yeah, I only did the bottom half of the engine, and after disassembling most of what I had done, I finally got it to fit (sort of), but if you follow the instructions, it is not going to work. The fact that this is an old kit doesn't fly with me. I've built a lot of AMT's kits, like the 53 Ford PU, 40 Fords, 58 Impala, 59 El Camino, etc. that are a lot older than this worthless kit, and they all fit together great. 

I've built it twice, once in its current "Recue Van" release and once many years ago when it was essentially the same kit in A-Team trim. Not sure I used the full engine on either one, I think I put together enough to fake it from underneath and tossed the rest in my parts box.