Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Malibu hardtop

dino246gt

Good morning modellers, I'm starting a new project, '64 Malibu!

1: It's a resin kit, repop of the AMT original, so I won't be using much, mostly kit bashed.

Here is the front grille/bumper and what I've done to it.

2: Cut the bumper separate.

3: Drilled out the headlights.

4: Made divets in scrap styrene with the Dremel bit shown. After I washed the grille with Tamiya black panel line wash.

5: Foiled over the divetted scraps and installed them from behind.

6, 7:Parking lights are Tamiya acrylic "Clear Orange", of course, you already knew that.

Cheers

Grille 1.JPG

Grille 2.JPG

Grille 3.JPG

Grille 4.JPG

Grille 5.JPG

Grille 6.JPG

Grille 7.JPG

• Like 4

The body is a re-pop of the annual AMT, from "Missing Link"

The chassis is Revell's beautiful '65 kit.

The wheelbase IS the same on a real car, but AMTs old kit compared to Revell's much more detailed kit have slightly different wheelbases.

1: First I removed the Revell inner fenders.

2: Then I fit the Revell chassis into the body, and saw how the inner rear fenders are too far back.

3: After cutting (picture in above post) and sanding, then building up the joining frame rails, it fits much better!

I DID have to modify the back of the rear seat and the front of the wheel tubs to get the interior to sit far enough back to line up with the body, no problem though, I love doing those little mods.

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

• Like 1

Nice work Dennis! I'll have to remember your reflector trick. Looks much easier than trying to find a set or make them separately. 

One suggestion: since the hood is separate, I would cut the trim from the grille, glue it to the hood and foil it once it's painted. 

One suggestion: since the hood is separate, I would cut the trim from the grille, glue it to the hood and foil it once it's painted. 

Roger, I saw that but decided it would make a mess of things, so sadly it'll remain as is, not realistic, but it IS only a model after all!  LOL

Edited by dino246gt

On this Malibu I'll be using 15" wheels, but I want 4 wheel disc brakes! I do have a lot of cool ones, but they're for larger diameter rims, so......................

1: I found these rotors from Revell's Acura kit.

2: I opened up the center to fit over the rims I'm using.

3: Then I snipped off all the "stuff" from the backside and sanded them smooth, flat.

4: I made ONE circle the size of a rotor from Evergreen .010 sheet styrene.

5: I cut that circle into 4 pieces.

6: Then I shaped those into somewhat of a caliper look.

7: I painted the "calipers" red, rotors silver and the wheels XF-66 light grey, all Tamiya acrylics brushed one.

They're definitely not great but they'll hardly show behind the mags, so good enough and a ton of fun!

Brakes 1.JPG

Brakes 2.JPG

Brakes 3.JPG

Brakes 4.JPG

Brakes 5.JPG

Brakes 6.JPG

Brakes 7.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, slusher said:

I have too agree that’s a beautiful color and finish. Going to be a  gorgeous Chevelle!

I also have to agree the wheel and tires you chose are very well suited for the Malibu Dennis. I will be following this one.

Jerry

I'm using the excellent Revell '65 Chevelle interior, with the original '64 dashboard.

1: The Revell kit does have rear quarter "glass" so the interior side panels are too short for me.

2: I wont have rear quarter glass so I added a bit o styrene.

3: I've decided to match the interior to the exterior as was common back then, so here's where it's at so far, cheers!

IMG_3583.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

• Like 4