Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '70 Mustang restoration

Can-Con

Almost ready for paint. Just need to fix that A-pillar. I think the 1/4 panels will need a bit more work too but just minor final smoothing out.

I really should do something about that rear pan though. I'm pretty sure I'll be using the rear bumper from a Revell '69 Mustang or Shelby so the kit pan, which is molded to the chassis plate , will be too short for the new bumper.

The repairs on the rocker trim at the rear wheel openings turned out OK. I was dreading that part.

And I think I should sharpen up the lip on the rear wheel openings to match the fronts. The rears look quite "soft" compared to the fronts.

IMG 3310

IMG 3311

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

And I think I should sharpen up the lip on the rear wheel openings to match the fronts. The rears look quite "soft" compared to the fronts.

I'd say, just take out the roundness of the inside of those flares. Run a tube with sandpaper around it and carefully open the rear wheelwells slightly bigger. That should be all you'll need to sharpen the flares. 

Looking good so far. 

14 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'd say, just take out the roundness of the inside of those flares. Run a tube with sandpaper around it and carefully open the rear wheelwells slightly bigger. That should be all you'll need to sharpen the flares. 

Looking good so far. 

You may be right about that Patrick. I'll give it a try anyway. 

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Close up of the gluebomb I restored.

78D3430E-C6A3-41B5-AD6D-B05A7FBFA868.jpeg

942259DF-5597-475E-9B8A-5D2BFAD23FCB.jpeg

Yea ,, looks like some cowboys had their way with those wheel openings too, Rex.

Hogging out those wheel openings for big drag slicks must have been pretty popular back then.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Finally found my gluebomb 70 Mach1 that was hiding in storage for 9 months.  The rear fenders on this one have not been messed with.

BEA2DB0B-E3F1-482A-9240-FA632B9832DD.jpeg

8B136970-DBF0-42ED-B4ED-9EC129ADD9CC.jpeg

Pretty sweet Rex. Looks like it's very restorable. 

You wouldn't happen to have a grille insert would you? If so, maybe I could borrow it to cast a couple resin copies from? 

I'm planning to cut up a Monogram 1/24 grille and make the insert from that but It would be easier to just make a couple copies.

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Pretty sweet Rex. Looks like it's very restorable. 

You wouldn't happen to have a grille insert would you? If so, maybe I could borrow it to cast a couple resin copies from? 

I'm planning to cut up a Monogram 1/24 grille and make the insert from that but It would be easier to just make a couple copies.

I think so - I will take a look.  The grille and rear taillight panel are the hard to find pieces of those kits.

6 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

I think so - I will take a look.  The grille and rear taillight panel are the hard to find pieces of those kits.

Thanks. I know it's a longshot but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Finally got some paint on this body.

It's Tamiya French Blue. I compared it to a bottle of Testors Grabber Blue I have and it's just a touch lighter. Seems to be the correct shade to me but I don't have a real car to compare it to.

A couple coats airbrushed on last night and wet sanded tonight and another 2 coats airbrushed. Then one good wet coat strait from the spray can after it started to set up.

It seems to be a very hard color to get to look correct in photographs but I'm happy with it.

2v2aN1645x2A694.jpg

2v2aN16V8x2A694.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the interior and engine.

Interior bucket and dash are original to the kit , front seats are from the MPC '69. 

They look pretty close, just the number of pleats is off. I don't think most people will notice that though. 

The engine is also from the MPC kit and is the 428.  ,, and I did drill the plug holes in the correct places. 😉

IMG 3350

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Made some more progress over the last week or so.

Paint's polished out and trim is foiled and detail painted. 

I also took a crack at painting the black strips on the hood. Not perfect but I think it came out OK. 

I also flocked the floor and started detail painting the interior.

IMG 3387

IMG 3388

IMG 3389

IMG 3390

IMG 3391

• Like 4

Got brave and painted the black on the trunk panel last night. Not perfect but not too bad.

2v2azQ4bUx2A694.jpg

Also, here's a couple pics of a mockup with the AMT Gatorbacks and widened Magnum 500s. It will sit a bit higher than this when finished.

2v2azQ4K9x2A694.jpg

2v2azQ41ux2A694.jpg

2v2azQ4pJx2A694.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a few pics of the finished interior. I wanted to keep it simple and use as much of the original kit parts as I could. 

The seats and are from an MPC '69 Mustang and the shifter is from the parts box, the rest is original.

Actually, I could have used the better dash and steering wheel from the Monogram 1/24 Mach 1 as it surprisingly fit the interior tub quite well.

IMG 3405IMG 3406

IMG 3407

IMG 3408

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more progress shots. Kelson lent me an original grille to cast a copy from. Looks better in black then bare white plastic. 

I also tinted the glass and glued it in with minimal glue smears over it. 😒

The shaker scoop and interior are just taped in place to see how it'll look.

IMG 3417

IMG 3418

IMG 3420

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

As with a lot of these older kits, the engine bat leaves a bit to be desired.
I did use the firewall and radiator wall from the MPC donor kit and closed it in with some plastic sheet.
2v2eUhpW9x2A694.jpg

2v2eUhpFox2A694.jpg

Then I made a couple simple shock towers from sheet.

2v2eUhpjux2A694.jpg

,, And glued them in using the brace from the Monogram kit as a guide for placement.

2v2eUhcH2x2A694.jpg

2v2eUhcevx2A694.jpg

Thinking about it earlier today, I should have used the brace from the 1/25 Revell '69 Mustang I'll be pirating the back bumper from. 
I haven't painted the assembly yet so I may change it before I'm done.

• Like 1