Model Cars Magazine Forum

You can kiss testors goodbye!

Never used them, but this is bad news for folks that do use them as there main line.  I think this is rust-o-cr@p's way of trying to kill off the brand instead of just out right killing it. So is anyone still gonna buy any?

Edited by Dpate

Another non-question.

Word meanings are hard. 

Must be as hard as understanding a 46% increase isn't "double".

Only thing I'll miss is the buffing metalizers, but their demise is ancient news anyway.

And...ummm...what was the question?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Haha 2

I didn't view the video (I'm not going to watch a 6 and a half minute video for a two paragraph story). I was told by a LHS owner yesterday that price of Tamiya paint is going up by 40% soon, so I'm not sure this is any effort by Rustoleum to kill off Testors.  I'm no expert, but I would expect many paints to take a sharp rise in price in the not too distant future. 

I it’s just the global economy at the moment.

Here fuel and full produce price have doubled in the last month. Everything moving my rod transportation has seen an increase to cover their fuel cost. A good time to ditch the rattle cans for an airbrush. That’ll significantly reduce the price cost. 

Maybe. The owner said it affected all Tamiya paints, including bottles.

I do agree that the economy is the cause. I'm paying more for a single bottle of paint now than I paid for an entire kit and several bottles of paint (Pactra, 19 cents) when I first started modeling. 

I noticed Dupli-Color paints almost doubled in the last year and a half. From $8-$9 a ten ounce can to $12-$15 currently. And it looks like the price hasn't stopped yet.

So I don't think it is just Testors, but probably EPA regulations and the price of oil dictating the current trend. 

I  stocked up on Testors jars a long time ago I have more jars then he did.  As far as sprays I only use Testors one coat clear and Dulcote.  The last jars I bought. Was Mr Hobby and Tamiya fir the colors. We all have paint put back so like everything else we have to deal with it according too our needs.  Hobby lobby has sales on paint at times..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I noticed Dupli-Color paints almost doubled in the last year and a half. From $8-$9 a ten ounce can to $12-$15 currently. And it looks like the price hasn't stopped yet.

Anybody noticed the prices for mayonnaise, or eggs, or meat, or everything else recently?

Can you say "ram-pant  in-fla-tion" boys and girls?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well, that clinches it.

Now I have an excuse to never buy anything from Rustoleum again.

Like I needed an excuse not to buy the garbage anyway. 😁

Steve

Kinda hard not to buy something made by Rust-O, this is just there leading brands, who knows what else they have aquired... Stops Rust, High Performance, Painter’s Touch, Krud Kutter, Universal, EpoxyShield, Varathane, Zinsser, RockSolid, MultiSpec, Testors, Modern Masters and Watco.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Anybody noticed the prices for mayonnaise, or eggs, or meat, or everything else recently?

Can you say "ram-pant  in-fla-tion" boys and girls?

After paying upwards of SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS for 138 gallons of heating oil in March, you betcha that's what's going on. That was the reason I held off on buying a second larger 3D printer around that time. That set me back on my heels, and I can tell you without letting this get to where the thread will get zapped, it has everything to do with a collapsing dollar.

Folks can look up the reasons why if they're interested.......I won't name them here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vintage AMT said:

Kinda hard not to buy something made by Rust-O, this is just there leading brands, who knows what else they have aquired... Stops Rust, High Performance, Painter’s Touch, Krud Kutter, Universal, EpoxyShield, Varathane, Zinsser, RockSolid, MultiSpec, Testors, Modern Masters and Watco.

It's easy for me.

I use Duplicolor , MCW and Scale Finishes.

Steve

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's easy for me.

I use Duplicolor , MCW and Scale Finishes.

Steve

Word! That's all i  use really is MCW, Scale finishes, tamiya, mr color, and some others.  I actually own a can of testors that i got cheap but never used lol.

47 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Word! That's all i  use really is MCW, Scale finishes, tamiya, mr color, and some others.  I actually own a can of testors that i got cheap but never used lol.

I still have some Testors, and will use it until it’s gone, but aside from that, there’s no reason to continue using a product that even the company that produces it has no respect for. 
I don’t know why they don’t just ditch the whole line now and get it over with, rather than dragging it out and giving it’s faithful false hope.

Steve

• Like 1