Model Cars Magazine Forum

You can kiss testors goodbye!

19 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Where did you purchase them? It would seem that they're not available in not only California , but the U.S. as well (according to Tamiya's website).
Please give a name and/or a link.
Thanks. 

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/tamiya-enamel-paint/

https://www.super-hobby.com/catalog/Tamiya-100818.html

I had ordered mine from sunwardhobbies while back.  I can't speak on super-hobby, but you got ebay too even though there super over priced on there. He's how i found out where to order them from.  On sunwardhobbies make sure to change from CAD to USD dollars to see actual price you'll be paying.  They have low stock too.

Edited by Dpate
  • Thanks 1

It’s not just Testors fellas.

We’re just going to have to suck it up and get used to it.

Either that or go back to assembling them without paint like we did when we were kids.

Just checked the Scale Finishes website, and their prices on a 2oz. jar of paint has increased from $9.99, to $12.99.

No changes at MCW at the moment, but I expect it’s on the way.

But, with the amount of time and expense that I generally put into a project, I doubt that a few dollars increase here and there is going to stop me.

I’m going to continue building, and I’m not going to change the way that I do it.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It’s not just Testors fellas.

We’re just going to have to suck it up and get used to it.

Either that or go back to assembling them without paint like we did when we were kids.

Just checked the Scale Finishes website, and their prices on a 2oz. jar of paint has increased from $9.99, to $12.99.

No changes at MCW at the moment, but I expect it’s on the way.

But, with the amount of time and expense that I generally put into a project, I doubt that a few dollars increase here and there is going to stop me.

I’m going to continue building, and I’m not going to change the way that I do it.

Steve

I just checked scale finishes and most are still $9.99 for basecoat and $11 for enamel.  Most are gone up to $11.99 for basecoat, even though before all this most were that price anyways depending on the the year make.  Even if all of the basecoats go up too $11.99 that's not that big of a increase for 2 oz of paint - especially considering gravity colors is $5-$6 for 1 oz and MCW always costed more than scale finishes.  I'd gladly pay $12 for 2 oz of factory color airbrush ready paint than pay for a cr@p can of rust o at wally world lol.

EDIT: Def depends on make and year.  1960 chevy colors are $12.99 instead of $11.99 All engine colors are $12.49 and basecoats $12.49

Edited by Dpate

On 5/5/2022 at 8:46 PM, Dpate said:

I just checked scale finishes and most are still $9.99 for basecoat and $11 for enamel.  Most are gone up to $11.99 for basecoat, even though before all this most were that price anyways depending on the the year make.  Even if all of the basecoats go up too $11.99 that's not that big of a increase for 2 oz of paint - especially considering gravity colors is $5-$6 for 1 oz and MCW always costed more than scale finishes.  I'd gladly pay $12 for 2 oz of factory color airbrush ready paint than pay for a cr@p can of rust o at wally world lol.

EDIT: Def depends on make and year.  1960 chevy colors are $12.99 instead of $11.99 All engine colors are $12.49 and basecoats $12.49

HI!

This week, paid 13.99 CDN $ for a 100ml can of Revell's spray clear, and 23 CDN$ (!) for a large (180ml) spary can of Mr.Hobby clear.  Granted, my LHS is a bit on the pricey side, but at least,  is well stocked and offers brands that he is the sole provider for locally. Oh well...

CT

At the end of the day does it really matter? While no one like price increases, we will buy the product anyway. All the other manufacturers will follow suit in time. This hobby is still low cost compared to other hobbies. 

Edited by Mike D
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mike D said:

At the end of the day does it really matter? While no one like price increases, we will buy the product anyway. All the other manufacturers will follow suit in time. This hobby is still low cost compared to other hobbies. 

Hobby or not it does matter on all fronts.  Same thing happened with wood and people still bought all the trash and said nothing about the crazy price increase. If no one speaks up every company out there will continue to charge what they want because" gas prices, covid, yada yada". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike D said:

It’s not going to change my habits at all.

As you said, it’s still a heck of a lot cheaper than a new fishing boat, or green fees every weekend.

Most of my neighbors have spent more on snowmobiles and ATVs in the past few years than I’ll spend in a lifetime of modeling.

Steve

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Hobby or not it does matter on all fronts.  Same thing happened with wood and people still bought all the trash and said nothing about the crazy price increase. If no one speaks up every company out there will continue to charge what they want because" gas prices, covid, yada yada". 

Maybe you’re right, but “speaking up” only works when you do it with your wallet........along with a couple million other people.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Maybe you’re right, but “speaking up” only works when you do it with your wallet........along with a couple million other people.

Steve

Yeah i know it's just fruitful thinking.  But i do know my hobby will change no so much with paint, but with kits.  I'm not gonna $45-$50 for basic AMT kits that are sub par.  Regardless if I'm one in a million. But i continue to buy hasagawa, tamiya, and the like because quality reflects the price.

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Yeah i know it's just fruitful thinking.  But i do know my hobby will change no so much with paint, but with kits.  I'm not gonna $45-$50 for basic AMT kits that are sub par.  Regardless if I'm one in a million. But i continue to buy hasagawa, tamiya, and the like because quality reflects the price.

It’s all about interests and expectations.

just from my perspective, I wouldn’t give 2 cents for a Tamiya kit.

That says nothing about quality, but everything about subject matter.

The subject has to interest me, or I have no interest in building it.

So, I’ll spend some money on a kit if it will hold my interest, even if it is subpar.

I can make it what ever I want to make it.

That decision is mine to make. 

Just my thoughts.

Steve

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It’s all about interests and expectations.

just from my perspective, I wouldn’t give 2 cents for a Tamiya kit.

That says nothing about quality, but everything about subject matter.

The subject has to interest me, or I have no interest in building it.

So, I’ll spend some money on a kit if it will hold my interest, even if it is subpar.

I can make it what ever I want to make it.

That decision is mine to make. 

Just my thoughts.

Steve

I don't do tanks from tamiya just there cars and bikes.  I do a bit of everything from every company.  Just I'm not gonna spend days and weeks and waist my time and materials if i know a kit is gonna be barely subpar or janky.  I understand subject matter, but quality is important to me too.  I don't like wasting money on trash.  Subpar is fine too because there are great subpar kits, but the price doesn't reflect the product regardless of subject matter.  I've spent over $100 dollars on alot of kits, but there fantastic kits especially alot of the big rigs i own.  Like i hesitate when i buy a AMT kit, but i don't hesitate when i buy a tamiya, hasegawa, aoshima, mobies, trumperter, meng, and few others.  Like i just bought the atlantis release of the 57 chevy bel air, but i heard it was complete trash.  So i'm currently trying to sell it because i don't wanna open it and waste my time with it when i already know it's bad because of what i've been told.  I guess my expectations are higher than most in the hobby, but if you go into it with low expectations it wouldn't be so bad i suppose lol.

Edited by Dpate

13 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Like i just bought the atlantis release of the 57 chevy bel air, but i heard it was complete trash.  So i'm currently trying to sell it because i don't wanna open it and waste my time with it when i already know it's bad because of what i've been told.  I guess my expectations are higher than most in the hobby, but if you go into it with low expectations it wouldn't be so bad i suppose lol.

It's not trash.

It's a challenging kit that an accomplished builder who can deal with fit issues and overcome them can make an exquisite model from.

That kinda limits the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's not trash.

It's a challenging kit that an accomplished builder who can deal with fit issues and overcome them can make an exquisite model from.

That kinda limits the field.

As I said, there's no such thing as a "trash" kit in my opinion.

They are what you make of them.

I understand the desire to want something that puts itself together straight from the box, But I believe that when you limit yourself thusly, your restricting yourself from a whole world of really interesting subjects.

I personally don't care in the least what the kit looks like in the box.

It's what "You" can make it look like sitting on the shelf that matters.

image.jpeg.ad3915927c0d59f04badc32f97c4ecd2.jpeg

image.jpeg.875c42fcdfc35b026ca85f9d3f26df3f.jpeg

Steve

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I understand the desire to want something that puts itself together straight from the box, But I believe that when you limit yourself thusly, your restricting yourself from a whole world of really interesting subjects.

If I may just so we can move on. 

Some builder can make an amazing build with nothing more then a sheet of styrene like @StevenGuthmiller while Japanese brands don’t cater for his older American car taste.

While others prefer a kit thats 80% there out of the box so they can practice and hon their skill in sanding, prep, paint, etc etc.

My point is everyone has their own requirements, taste and skill level. We can’t compare Johan to Aoshima because they are different subjects from different parts of the world which cater to different skill levels.

Let’s just build what we find fun. Understanding that for some fun is the challenge while others fun is the creative process while a kit falls together OOB

Peace

Edited by Sandboarder
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sandboarder said:

...My point is everyone has their own requirements, taste and skill level. We can’t compare Johan to Aoshima because they are different subjects from different parts of the world which cater to different skill levels...Understanding that for some fun is the challenge while others fun is the creative process while a kit falls together OOB.

No disagreement there.

But hearing a kit called "trash" because it doesn't practically self-assemble gets old to those of us who can deal with a little difficulty.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

No disagreement there.

But hearing a kit called "trash" because it doesn't practically self-assemble gets old to those of us who can deal with a little difficulty.

This was my objection as well.

We all proclaim to want to help fellow builders who may be newer to the hobby, or not as experienced as others, and while it may be helpful to make recommendations in that respect, I don't think it's particularly helpful to impugn an entire segment of the hobby because they don't meet our particular standards.

Offer descriptions of what the modeler can expect for a particular kit, and avenues to deal with the issues that might arise.

That seems to me to be far more constructive than turning people off to an entire company's product line because you may have found personal issue with some of it. 

Steve

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...That seems to me to be far more constructive than turning people off to an entire company's product line because you may have found personal issue with some of it. 

Yup...and as most of us who have been in this hobby for any length of time already know, the Revell kits from the period in question are often referred to as "fiddly" and "difficult", and are dismissed by a lot of builders for that reason.

And that's unfortunate, because many of them are also rich in scale-accurate detail, and are the only game in town for some very interesting subjects.

Frankly, in many ways I prefer Revell's kits from that era to what they're making today...kits I feel have been dumbed-down to an extent to appeal more to those who view the hobby as "something to pass the time" rather than "scale modeling".

And that's OK too...but allow those who want to develop their skills and dive into something that takes a little more effort to get a fair and balanced idea of what they're in for with the old tool offerings.

I've been heartened to see several builders on this forum begin working some of the older Revell kits with a degree of trepidation, having heard all the horror stories...and then to their surprise, find they're really not so bad, and end up turning out very respectable models.  

There ARE kits that probably aren't worth trying to build nice models from, like old Palmers (with awful lines and proportions that look almost nothing like the subject), buy some guys even seem to enjoy getting the best out of those.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dpate said:

i just bought the atlantis release of the 57 chevy bel air, but i heard it was complete trash.  So i'm currently trying to sell it because i don't wanna open it and waste my time with it when i already know it's bad because of what i've been told.

You’re not even going to open the box and see if you agree with what you heard?  

Don’t believe everything you hear or read…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

You’re not even going to open the box and see if you agree with what you heard?  

I have to agree. I mean my Father and I build this kit when I was 10 years old with nothing more then a vegetable knife and glue. I still have the build somewhere.

I bought the Ed Roth edition to build my own way. I got up the painting the body before I ran out of good weather and just haven’t had time to revisit the build. With a bit of test fitting the kit was building up great.

• Like 1

Of course, he might open the box, decide it IS ‘trash’ (in his opinion) and wish he hadn’t…but I’d rather make my own mind up rather than just believing whatever some dude on Facebook or Youtoob or whatever said…

Back on topic, where I work we use a lot of automotive paint, usually custom mixed to some not-off-the-shelf color.  We’ve been having real difficulty sourcing paint for the last few months due to a nationwide toner shortage (according to multiple vendors that we deal with).  Without the primary toners, you can’t mix the paint.

That said, I’m sure the companies who are big enough to get preferential service (eg; the HUGE paint manufacturers and distributors) will be able to get what they need, but this is definitely an issue we’re seeing lately.

Maybe i just get unlucky with alot of kits and get lemons lol.  I'm not trying to sound whiny or anything like that cause trust me i LOVE this hobby (Can easily show proof of that).  It's just i expect good detail and fitment etc if i'm paying $35+ for a kit.  I don't mind little clean up here and there or cutting here and there or filling and sanding etc - but if the kit has horrible fitment issues, and hardly any details, and more flash than parts than yes I'm gonna be annoyed and probably trash it.  I know every company has there amazing kits, good, and bad kits. 

Like this one tractor kit i own.  Beautifully detailed  etc worth all $90 i paid for it. 

71AwofzrbaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.025a1654bfdb621f7bae5e9632653b6a.jpg

But than you have this trash lol that i went into with high expectations and was disgusted with.  Misaligned parts, fitment issues, etc maybe i got a lemon? But for $36 there shouldn't be ANY issues at all far as fitment goes.  Drive shafts were either to long or too short, and had some parts molded wrong.  

81Tl0t2isoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.b08fc6180a85c67ecf4e15080616ceb9.jpg

Edited by Dpate