Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for '71 Plymouth satellite

throttlejockey

I've been trying to find the mid 80's release from monogram of the '71 Plymouth satellite. The one I had back then was molded in black, had the 340 in it. Any help is appreciated. I've scoured that internet auction site we all know and love, but the prices I'm seeing are a deal breaker for me. 

47 minutes ago, throttlejockey said:

I've been trying to find the mid 80's release from monogram of the '71 Plymouth satellite. The one I had back then was molded in black, had the 340 in it. Any help is appreciated. I've scoured that internet auction site we all know and love, but the prices I'm seeing are a deal breaker for me. 

The engine is a '440' in that kit; 440 Six Barrel in the subsequent GTX issues.

Be patient in your search. Those 1971 Satellite kits pop up often, usually in clusters, and can be had for a reasonable price. 
I scored one in mint condition some 6 months ago -- $40.00 shipped. That's right online with current kit prices.

The 71 GTX that's out now as the Fast and Furious car has the hood from the Satellite kit and the base single four barrel intake. I don't know if the interiors are different between the GTX and Satellite kits, maybe someone who knows can chime in. Then you can use a Model Car Garage photo-etch set so you can trim the center out of the GTX grille.

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

The 71 GTX that's out now as the Fast and Furious car has the hood from the Satellite kit and the base single four barrel intake. I don't know if the interiors are different between the GTX and Satellite kits, maybe someone who knows can chime in. Then you can use a Model Car Garage photo-etch set so you can trim the center out of the GTX grille.

The GTX body has the Satellite Sebring and GTX rocker panel embellishment, 'gTx' emblems, and a different interior tub (Sebring/GTX door panels; 'GTX' dash emblem).
The single four barrel intake represents an aftermarket model; the air cleaner, incorrect.

Yes, the new F&F edition has the standard Road Runner & GTX bonnet (not the Air Grabber model) and the aforementioned A.G. piece. I don't recall if it also has the base steering wheel from the Satellite issue -- but it does have the Tuff-Grip tiller for sure.

10 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The GTX body has the Satellite Sebring and GTX rocker panel embellishment, 'gTx' emblems, and a different interior tub (Sebring/GTX door panels; 'GTX' dash emblem).
The single four barrel intake represents an aftermarket model; the air cleaner, incorrect.

Yes, the new F&F edition has the standard Road Runner & GTX bonnet (not the Air Grabber model) and the aforementioned A.G. piece. I don't recall if it also has the base steering wheel from the Satellite issue -- but it does have the Tuff-Grip tiller for sure.

Okay, that's what I wanted to know, if there were different interiors. I have an older version of the GTX and the F&F kit, I'll compare the interiors and see if they're the same or not. 

13 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I'll compare the interiors and see if they're the same or not. 

They're not the same, in respect to door cards. The original from c.1984 has the Road Runner door cards,( first image) whereas the c.1995 modified-reissue has the Satellite Sebring/GTS door cards (second image):

1971-RR-door-panel.jpg.3180df3c8ef8c57d7ff94b85b8d2215b.jpg1971-plymouth-gtx-thumb.jpg.893add03aed93e421c457151b67ba32a.jpg

On 5/3/2022 at 2:52 PM, throttlejockey said:

This is the version I had back then and was hoping to recreate...thank to all for the shared input....I had looked at the f&f version and considered it....then thought better of it. 

Factory-sealed-Monogram-1971-Plymouth-Satellite-124-scale-model-kit-2213_1600444828_636.jpg

10 hours ago, afx said:

I believe I have a previously built example - would that interest you?

Here is what I have, its complete and the body is un-painted.

DSCN8266

• Like 1