Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '70s Short Body R.E. Dragster (05/22/2022)

Apparently, my next project has found me. A few weeks back, I saw the attached photo of the Warren, Coburn, Miller "Rain For Rent" dragster (I borrowed this from "Fuel Dragsters-We Did It For Love"), without any "streamlining". The photo kept tugging at my imagination, as I was finishing the Supermod. As with most of my models, this won't be a replica, but, an impression of that car. I'm using the Wynn's Charger chassis, rather than the "Woody"(?) W-C-M ran.

I have some Bear Paw rear wheels I got from Don Fahrni. I believe they are from Chuck at Altered States. I reshaped the sidewall of one of the MPC slicks. I mostly just eased the transition between the sidewall and the tread. I think it looks better, this way. I'll need to find some lettering, for them.

I will build the body from flashing (this one should be a breeze!). As you can see, I have already cut the front bulkhead. I am replacing the frame rails, from just behind the bulkhead, forward. I will turn a Moon tank for it. The engine is a casting of an early Donovan 417 I built. I had some Donovan valve covers in my parts bin. The blower manifold from Miss Deal will be used. I will build a set of front wires, for it, or, I am considering a set of Mr. Raitz's wheels. They really are pretty! As always, comments, questions and critiques are welcomed. Thanks for looking! 

midi.jpg

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

7 hours ago, CabDriver said:

This is really interesting - never saw one of these ‘short bodies’ before - but I like it!  Way cool!  

Garlits' first R.E. car had the short body, at first. They weren't all that common, and, as in the case of Garlits and Warren, Coburn and Miller, were often transitional. That photo just really got my attention, so, you're right about the "cool" factor! I'm not nuts about the Woody Gilmore chassis, though.

• Like 1

Great start and cool project Daniel!  You did a great job on the slicks, I did the same kind of treatment for the same tires on one of my old builds and the visual effect is much more realistic, the finish looks much more like real tires.  Another good subject where your skills will be highlighted, I'll be back to see your progress my friend!

14 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great start and cool project Daniel!  You did a great job on the slicks, I did the same kind of treatment for the same tires on one of my old builds and the visual effect is much more realistic, the finish looks much more like real tires.  Another good subject where your skills will be highlighted, I'll be back to see your progress my friend!

Ah! Glad to see you, my friend! The sidewalls on these old MPC slicks are thinner than I expected. I rubbed right through one of them. Fortunately, I have a ton of them! 

I've bent the "rain gutter". It needs to be cut to shape, and fine-tuned. I also made a pair of torsion arms, and bent and soldered a front axle. I'll make some tabs to solder to the axle, then drill them and the torsion arms, so that they can be "bolted" together. As always, questions, critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

9 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Daniel, here's a couple of pic's in case you don't have them.

Thanks, Edgar. Those are nice shots! I'm not doing a replica, however, just something inspired by it. Mainly because I don't want to build a Woody Gilmore chassis.😃

58 minutes ago, David G. said:

Excellent work so far!

This brings back fond childhood memories of lazy Sunday afternoons watching the rails race on TV.

BTW, what kind of wood are you using for your building jig?

David G.

Thanks, David. It's balsa. It's what I've always used. I've soldered on it, and everything. It's always worked, well.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:25 PM, bytownshaker said:

Daniel, here's a couple of pic's in case you don't have them.

381135_2143247422405_1704801379_n.jpg

OMS71BW_130.jpg

It's interesting to note the two different fuel tank locations, in these photos. I have read some pretty wild stories about "The Last Drag Race" at Lions! Tom West was a great guy. He's truly missed. Thanks again for sharing these!

I've gotten the body farther along. I also turned a Moon 2 gallon dragster tank (8.5" diameter by 15" long). I had to use a file on one end, because the tank, once parted free, was too short for my radius tool to reach the second end. I think it will be okay. I got the rain gutter shaped, and made a cowl. The cowl will have more work performed, to make a greater flare, around the opening. Next, I'll see about getting it on the wheels.

I need to build and cast a pair of breathers, and two different sets of valve covers, and "Donovan-ize" a set of 392 heads, and mold and cast those, as well. Anyway...questions, comments and critiques are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

2DSC_0002cr.jpg

2DSC_0004cr.jpg

2DSC_0005cr.jpg

2DSC_0008cr.jpg

2DSC_0012cr.jpg

2DSC_0013cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to AMT '70s Short Body R.E. Dragster (05/22/2022)