Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bottom Dump trailer

My Super Bee Trucking fleet is in need of a bottom dump trailer so I’m going to build them one. I’m still researching some of the details but I’ve started with using the rear suspension from the AMT Fruehauf tanker kit. I’m looking to use the Load King trailer design for my trailer. I’ve started on the rear suspension so far. Lot more to come. As always your comments are always welcome and appreciated. 

22DC303A-8C6D-4C96-BAAC-33D9D63C37B8.jpeg

CD8098D2-18CA-41E0-9E33-69891F40AAB4.jpeg

14BE28AD-BBBF-4BB3-9659-1F39D9183C85.jpeg

A463DCE6-3C30-452A-98DF-868CD8651790.jpeg

Edited by Mopar - D

Nice, I like the solid sides! I have one on the bench now, and one I built over 10yrs ago. Current one is referenced off a Brazos, don't recall what the older built was referenced from!

20220504_105354.jpg

20220504_105627.jpg

Screenshot_20220430-124343_Google.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Real interesting project Dan.  What are the belly dump trailers used for?  To spread the load over a distance?

Thanks Carl I’ve seen them used on highways and also for land development. Just up to street from me there’s a new subdivision going in and they have been raising the hole area a couple feet and they have been using these bottom dumps to bring in the fill dirt. They were running about 30 or more trucks for months 6 to 7 days a week. 

5 hours ago, yh70 said:

you can do it...

Thanks Dave. 

4 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

I see your feeding your squirrels frosted flakes again !! Looking forward to your belly dump trailer FB_IMG_1650930149004.jpg.95915bf23d6754a3115ad05f1831c6d0.jpg

lol! 

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Very kool, can't wait to see more!!!

Thanks Kerry. 

1 hour ago, Jhill said:

Nice, I like the solid sides! I have one on the bench now, and one I built over 10yrs ago. Current one is referenced off a Brazos, don't recall what the older built was referenced from!

20220504_105354.jpg

20220504_105627.jpg

Screenshot_20220430-124343_Google.jpg

Nice bottom dumps Jim. Do the bottom gates open up. I’m going to try and make mine to open up. There’s a lot of angles on theses trailers. Lol. 

This trailer has so many different angles I decided that I needed to draw it in scale before I just started cutting evergreen plastic pieces lol. My progress is on paper but I’m about ready to start cutting some plastic but after making the drawings I will need to go out and get some more evergreen plastic to be able to finish it. Here’s my drawings so far. 

37104E53-579C-49B3-B4B7-414B051BD139.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Thanks Carl I’ve seen them used on highways and also for land development. Just up to street from me there’s a new subdivision going in and they have been raising the hole area a couple feet and they have been using these bottom dumps to bring in the fill dirt. They were running about 30 or more trucks for months 6 to 7 days a week. 

Thanks Dave. 

lol! 

Thanks Kerry. 

Nice bottom dumps Jim. Do the bottom gates open up. I’m going to try and make mine to open up. There’s a lot of angles on theses trailers. Lol. 

They do!

20220504_105818.jpg

30 minutes ago, Jhill said:

They do!

20220504_105818.jpg

Thanks for sharing Jim I’m planning to do something similar with mine so that they will open up. 

4 minutes ago, Warren D said:

Interesting build.  Not sure but I think Doug Wagner at Keystone/AITM makes one but maybe not this same manufacturer.

Warren your correct Doug Wagner at Keystone has one but I’m looking for more details than what I see in his pictures plus I’m not into sanding the 3D parts smooth. 

10 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Warren your correct Doug Wagner at Keystone has one but I’m looking for more details than what I see in his pictures plus I’m not into sanding the 3D parts smooth. 

I hear you on that!  I have yet to find a way to get the nooks and crannies smooth.  It seems to require filler primer and lots of sanding.  While I often curse resin, it's actually easier to work with.

Thanks Jeff it’s going to be the first time that I’ve drawn up what I want to build. In doing so I’ve been able to identify different parts that I would of had to figure out how to make during the build and could of caused some reworking. 

I’ve found that there’s not very many square angles on this lol. I now have the main shell together with the dimensions that I was looking for. I did go through 3 paper cut outs for the front and back panels. Now to start on all the bracing and gusset plates. 

840A4063-CC9A-4DEB-9402-64B062843F1D.jpeg

B695D9D8-30C7-4FFE-B5D8-8B88ACB6312F.jpeg

3382599F-317D-4E33-B7D9-E69C7BA68904.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Man that shell looks grrrreeaaattt ! 

Those trailers really don't have as much structure overall like id assumed , very interesting 

Are the square sides evergreen box tube 

Thanks Jeff Yes I used evergreen square tube #254 it’s 1/4” and evergreen plan sheet #9030. 

8 hours ago, slusher said:

wow, impressive work Dan, you made a lot of progress!

Thanks Carl I think I think I have as much time in drawing the plans up as I do in building it so far.