Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just got this Tbird delivered yesterday, bought it Saturday and had a friend flatbed it to me. Only pic I have now is fresh off the trailer covered in dirt. It's a 1986 Turbo Coupe, 73k miles, no rust survivor. Needs some TLC but otherwise great shape. Need to wash it for sure ...........

DIRTYBIRD.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on a very cool acquisition!  😎 . I love this  body style and owned an '84 (not a turbo, though) that I bought right off the showroom floor for 10k! It looks like that car is going to clean up nice. It doesn't look like a 36 year old car. Great find!

This one is an automatic. Has period correct front mount intercooler, adjustable boost valve, and aftermarket boost gauge. I think the previous owner had some fun with it?

Gave it a bath late yesterday, will get some better pics soon.

9 hours ago, Zen said:

This one is an automatic. Has period correct front mount intercooler, adjustable boost valve, and aftermarket boost gauge. I think the previous owner had some fun with it?

Gave it a bath late yesterday, will get some better pics soon.

It's a very cool car to have gotten! If I'm not mistaken, these have dual rear shocks and 4 wheel disc brakes. Also, the 8.8 rear! When the turbocoupe was first debuted (in 1983) they raced one against a contemporary BMW on Laguna Seca......... The Bimmer could barely keep up.

While not big on the T-Birds in general, I still appreciate when a manufacture produces something along these lines. This should be both practical to own and fun to drive. The previous owner must have loved their music. The paint looks like a good going over with some clay magic and some of the new nano wax products. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zenon!

Wow, great find, bravo!

I had an 85, manual, and it was a blast. The intercooler came only in 87 from the factory. You can increase your boost by piercing needle holes in the wastegate sensor hose. Start with one or two, and progress as you fancy. You WILL feel the improvement, believe me! Just don't hit it full blown for too long...

CT 

Would be nice to swap an Eco-boost into this one but I'm keeping it period correct. Still haven't really driven it far yet, had to put a new radiator in it yesterday, hopefully soon?

19 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Lookin' good there Zen. What products did you use to spiff it up??

Nothing special yet, just gave it a bath. It will go in for an exterior detail hopefully soon.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:47 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Zenon!

Wow, great find, bravo!

I had an 85, manual, and it was a blast. The intercooler came only in 87 from the factory. You can increase your boost by piercing needle holes in the wastegate sensor hose. Start with one or two, and progress as you fancy. You WILL feel the improvement, believe me! Just don't hit it full blown for too long...

CT 

Now that is funny. I used to use fish tank air valves. That way I could "Dial-in" the amount of boost I wanted. It was a controlled way to bleed off the signal going to the waste gate. 

10 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Now that is funny. I used to use fish tank air valves. That way I could "Dial-in" the amount of boost I wanted. It was a controlled way to bleed off the signal going to the waste gate. 

Hi Scott!

I would never have tought about such a valve. I'll certainly steal your idea someday! Thanks!

CT