Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell SnapTite 57 Chevy 'Pinky'

Oliver77

My wife pointed out a pink 57 Chevy she thought looked cool, I said I'll get her one!

She supplied the fingernail polish.

I used several coats of primer to seal the black body and red (ugh) interior plastic.

Rattle can white, then used my Paasche H5 airbrush for acetone thinned color coat. Took it slow to avoid dissolving the plastic.

This is the first time I tried a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen. Man there is a lot of chrome on these old cars! Good thing I still have some usable Bare-Metal foil.

I guess I'll use the decal for the rear fender areas, not so thrilled about that. Better ideas are welcome!

Regards,

Jeff Oliver

1957_Chevy_1.JPG

• Like 1

I like the different color and the interior looks good. You asked about ideas for the side Bel Air treatment. I think this kit has the ribbed style molding on the body. Since this isn't a chrome finish on the 1:1 car you might paint that area with an Aluminum type finish paint or even a Stainless-Steel type of finish.  On the 1:1 cars this would have a polished finish on the tops of the ribs running the length of the insert. You could try and touch the ribs with a chrome pen or a sharpy maybe. Depending on your patience level you could also use masking tape to cover the painted area of the insert and spray paint one of the spray chrome paints. The raised ridges were not chrome on the original car but sort of a polished aluminum. Just an idea. 

This should be the final WIP for this one, it is coming together OK.

I took David's advice and sprayed the insert Tamiya TS-17 gloss aluminum. (Have some handy for the B-52 with X-15 from Atlantis, man they are popping out some fun stuff.)

A lot of Bare Metal foil, and my old sheets are kinda fragile so that is fun. The Molotow chrome looks about as shiny as BMF, but the pen is clogged so I have to just blob the ink out on a palette and apply with a stylus. (fancy name for toothpick).

I see stuff in the photos I'm not really thrilled with, for a quick build with some new techniques I'm satisfied.

Regards,

Jeff Oliver

1957_Chevy_4.JPG