Model Cars Magazine Forum

1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe Completed

mrmike

This is the remains of my Grandson's '63 Vette Coupe.  The '63s have been a C2 favorite of mine for a while and I felt I needed to rebuild this in my favor since this model car has long since been abandoned by him.  My rebuild will include Pegasus Chrome Ts and tires, new rear bumpers and a new dark green paint job.  This Snap Kit will get many chassis mods to adapt the new wheels and tires.

More Split-Window to come...

63Vette01.JPG

63Vette02.JPG

63Vette03.JPG

63VEtte04.JPG

63Vette05.JPG

63Vette06.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

Thanks Greg and David!  The body is molded in a metallic red plastic and with some polishing, would look great.  I want to paint this Corvette a dark green, but had to do some mockups first before I wash, prime and paint it.

Edited by mrmike

• mrmike changed the title to 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe

I noticed a missing piece in the right side vent window and I made a piece to fill in the gap.  The Corvette body has been washed and will dry for a coating of Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer.  I have a couple of metallic greens in mind for this Corvette, but I need to find the right one.

More Corvette to come...

63Vette10.JPG

63Vette11.JPG

63Vette12.JPG

I painted the 'Vette this morning with Dupli-Color Emerald Green Metallic and it looks great!  Now to let this dry and give it a coating of Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear.  I've been thinking about adding a set of sidepipes to the car.  This should look great with the Pegasus Chrome T's.

More Corvette to come...

63Vette13.JPG

63Vette14.JPG

63Vette15.JPG

• Like 1

Back in the '60s, there was a boat gas pumping station in Centre Harbor, NH. The owner had a red '63 Corvette split window with "ULM" New Hampshire license plates. That car will be an upcoming project for me. Mike your project has inspired me to go forward on the project.

You are probaby wondering, "What the heck did he do?"  I started to find flaw after flaw in the paint and instead of repairing each and every single flaw individually, I sanded the whole thing and will give it another paint job!  Gotta wash the body first!

More Corvette to come...

63Vette16.JPG

63Vette17.JPG

63Vette18.JPG

I washed the Corvette body and now it is drying in my paintbooth.  I made a set of rear wheel tubs for the Vette.  Since I never made anything like these before, this took me a while before I came up with a plan to make them.  Now, to paint them with Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss Black.

More Split Window to come...

63Vette19.JPG

63Vette20.JPG

63Vette21.JPG

I primered and painted the '63 Vette this afternoon and it looks so much better.  No trash in the paint, which is a good sign!  I used the same paint-Dupli-Color Emerald Green Metallic.

63Vette22.JPG

63Vette23.JPG

63Vette24.JPG

I have started the foiling process.  Since my foil is several years old, I have resorted to using Micro Metal Foil Adhesive before I cut my foil.  Just another step in my process.  The hood vents got some Aluminium BMF.   

63Vette28.JPG

63Vette29.JPG

63Vette30.JPG

• Like 1

• mrmike changed the title to 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe Completed