Model Cars Magazine Forum

Logging Truck Project

kit.jpg.51427cb6eb7aa62d9c7f50861aaca6b6.jpg

After some searching, I settled on this kit as a basis for a logging truck.  

lt1.jpg.0359cb7f55fcf24bed0adb5cefd8d874.jpg

In my part of Maine, a straight truck with a stretched frame, tag axle and a grapple loader is a common sight.  The picture is a pretty standard example and the basis for my model.

sframe.jpg.815c94fa1854977b917e3548ad713a00.jpg

So far I've stretched the frame a total of 6 inches - 4 in front of the rear axles, 2 after the rear axles.  I designed and 3D printed the frame inserts and added fish plates with bolt castings at the joints.  I also designed and 3D printed two extra frame crossmembers and a tag axle assembly.  (It's flopped over in the wrong direction in the picture.)  I do wish I'd added the fish plates with the frame oriented differently so I got them all square with the frame, but it's a little late now...:wacko:

bunk.jpg.ec47eeb4378b0140a5e6b3a69d6ac064.jpg

I 3D printed the log bunks rather than build them up from components.  3 hours per print times 6 bunks!  Nice thing is, I hit "print" and then go do something else.

claw.jpg.828996181a9d4ae25502811f0241fc53.jpg

3D printer to the rescue again as I assemble the grapple head for the log loader.

Comments/Suggestions/Constructive Criticism invited, as long as you bear in mind that (A) I have limited resources so resin castings are probably not going to happen, (B) Even tho I'm 70-mumble I'm just getting started building semi-custom stuff rather than "shake-the-box" and (C) with Summer coming on, this is going to be a VERY slow build.

Edited by PHPaul

9 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Paul your off to a great start on your logging truck. What colors are you going with?

Thanks!

Haven't decided yet, beyond the fact that it will be lightly-to-moderately weathered.  The idea is that it's used hard but well cared for.

I'm going to try the "salt" method on the frame with a base coat of rust and a finish coat of black.  Haven't decided whether flat or gloss, I'll have to experiment with that and see what I like.

Loader will be orange base and outriggers with a black boom.

No idea yet on the cab and fenders.  I have a couple of colors on hand and a couple of other models waiting on warmer/dryer weather to paint so perhaps that'll give me some choices.  Nothing too wild, definitely a single color.

You might be interested in my Mack B815 Logger build: 

You might find a few things that will help you with yours.  You are off to a great start.  I wish I could 3D print parts, would make things much easier but I either find them from others or make them from scratch.  I did my grapple from scratch, but I do like the way it came out.

grapple.jpg.25f78579c748324a39c2d44bdd5a2b93.jpg

Grapple head assembled.  A little fine tuning needed on the pins once the glue has cured.  The loader I'm modeling has a rotator on the grapple head in addition to the jaw hydraulics.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

703631190_loadercomponents.jpg.feea73661d6091242b2a8d5b915fcbbf.jpg

Several cold and rainy days this month so getting an little bonus bench time in.  Working on the log loader.  Mast, rear boom mount, hydraulic tank and seat 3D printed, the rest being scratch built from plastic shapes.  Finished loader will articulate and swivel.

11 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Nice work, Paul!  When we had our home near Oxford we saw some of those logging rigs.  Probably not as many as up north of there but they were around.  What kind of CAD program are you using in your 3D work?

I use TinkerCAD.  Freeware, does pretty much everything I need at my level.  

I tried Fusion360 but it was WAY too much for what I do and I couldn't be bothered to climb the learning curve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Really nice work on the grapple head and parts 

See your planning the salt technique! I tried it on my oilfield truck and was very pleased w the flaky crusty look 

Thanks!

I did a test run of the technique on some scrap using baking soda hoping for a little less drastic effect.  Results were what I was looking for scale-wise but I used spray enamel and let it dry so it was quite a job to get down to the "rust".  I'll do another test with acrylic paint, I suspect that will work better.

boom.jpg.f38e4605e4f2303092dc4b5e941076b6.jpg

A little more progress.  Working on the loader boom and figuring out the geometry.

pedestal2.jpg.06169cc5ebc546be28212c32b4b1d8c2.jpg

Also working on the operator's position atop the boom tower.  The pins for hydraulic levers looked good originally, but in the pic they look a little out of scale.  I'll probably sand the ball ends down a little if I can, or replace them if not.

ldrdone1.jpg.8f762b2091a3b11f81a5f3493953fba1.jpg

ldrdone2.jpg.4e99f1824ca282f1987844e8cdc055a8.jpg

Here's what I have so far.  I'll be adding hydraulic hard lines and hoses.  And stabilizer legs of course.

Looking at it (compared to Gary's most excellent example) I think the grapple is quite a bit out of scale.  Thinking I'll re-do that.

I spent the day redoing the grapple head at 75% of the original.  Looks MUCH better.  

Also redoing the main hydraulic cylinders with larger barrels.  Don't have that back together yet, but thinking that's an improvement as well.

Also got the stabilizer legs roughed out.   

As soon as I get everything mocked up with the modifications, I'll post a couple of pictures.

Awesome project and fabrication work!

I used to work in the pole yard at our electric utility unloading poles from trucks before the company decided to to to self loaders/unloaders and you hit the mark on the detail exactly.

barko1.jpg.f8dd89cbcdaa623497111d44b0cb8fce.jpg

Hydraulic hoses installed and a little paint.  Have some artwork for decals for the loader, just need to print them out.  I'll wait on that until I have all the decals ready, hate to waste a chunk of decal paper for one little decal.

• Like 1