Model Cars Magazine Forum

63-72 Chevy/GMC pickup frames and 67-72 interiors.

I recently drew up the 60-66 Chevy truck bed in an 8 foot length. Someone asked me if I could make the frame. So, that is what I am working on. 

What I have found is that the 63-66 are so close to the 67-72 that in 1/25 scale the differences are imperceptible. I found the drawings, factory GM service manual drawings, and even laid on top of each other they are the same. 

So, I have the frame drawn up with no front cross member as I want to to a 4x4. I may add it in and design it to use the front suspension out of the Revell 64-66 kits. 

There are still 2 cross members missing, I need to see if they will work on both 2wd and 4x4. 

I also wanted an interior that has no bucket seats. So, I made a base model interior with removable fuel tank. This fits the AMT 72 Chevy kits (I hope). 

1970 C_K10 Frame v3.jpg

1970 Chevy Interior v3.1.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

I have the first print of the frame for the 60-72 Chevy trucks.

Ascan be seen in the pictures below, it is a great fit for the Revell 65-66 trucks. The frame fits great with te interior on the 72 Chevy trucks.

If you are doing a long bed 4x4 1960 AMT, it will work but it is not "Correct" as they had an X style frame due to the torsion bar design. The 1960 is also wider at the rear. I am not sure if this is an early frame thing or an AMT thing. I modeled the frame straight off factory service manual drawings. 

20220507_173319.jpg

20220507_173049.jpg

20220507_172945.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The frame looks great!  Yes, 1963 was the first modern Chevy-GMC pickup frame, design basically the same thru '72. Late 60's brought out a leaf spring or coil spring option on Chevys, GMC's used leafsprings starting in '63 and had a coil spring option in the late 60's.  Vinyl bench seats are, IMO, much more typical in '67-'72's, however, seat upholstery styling kept changing depending on trim level and year. Interior Door panels are pretty much the same '67-'71, however 72's used a new plastic design panel.

Well, I have an update on the frames. I have been able to print 3. They are a good fit for the AMT 72 Chevy, but need work on the Revell. 

However the biggest issue is one that I am fighting on several projects. They warp. BADLY. When you print an engine, they are solid and have lots of structure to minimize warpage. However the longer and flatter a part is, the more it wants to warp. I currently have one frame sitting under 2 123 blocks to bend it back the other direction. At least this one bend front to back, the last one was printed the other way and it bent side to side. The truck would crab. 

The interior is much less of an issue and I have one that is almost perfect. It is a box shape and so it has not warped. 

If I ever figure out how to stop the resin from warping on large projects, I will be able to make these. 

• Like 1

Where were you when I built The Green Barge😳  I converted to a bench seat, and detailed the door panels.  I could suggest a bunch of parts that need to be done for the '67-'72 series.  If you need detail pictures of the real thing, I have a '68.  Look forward to watching this topic. 😎

On 5/28/2022 at 12:03 AM, 89AKurt said:

Where were you when I built The Green Barge😳  I converted to a bench seat, and detailed the door panels.  I could suggest a bunch of parts that need to be done for the '67-'72 series.  If you need detail pictures of the real thing, I have a '68.  Look forward to watching this topic. 😎

I am always open to suggestions. What are you thinking?

9 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I am always open to suggestions. What are you thinking?

Door handles, especially the outside, but also inside window and latch lever.  The engine bay fenders are totally wrong, but that would be ambitious to fix.  Maybe door mirrors, there were several options, the RV style might be worth doing 3D.

On 5/30/2022 at 3:38 PM, chadrob30 said:

I wonder if it would be viable to do the chassis in 2 or 3 pieces with pins and holes to mount them together? Would that mitigate some of the warping?

The way it is drawn, I can do that. It may be the best way. I can try that and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, CanadianKronik said:

where can i get this chassis? nice work, i have a couple 72 chevys i want to change the frame out on them.

At the moment, I may have one, but otherwise I can send the file or put it on Cults and you get it printed. 

I may try this weekend to print another set but in multiple parts. 

19 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

At the moment, I may have one, but otherwise I can send the file or put it on Cults and you get it printed. 

a file would be awesome. i have a 3d resin printer ive been doing some engines and small parts with.

On 6/7/2022 at 12:23 PM, Oldmopars said:

I'd like to get that file. Friend can print it for me.

3 hours ago, Rodent said:

Scott, have you tried printing any of the interiors?

Well, I had a really bad computer weekend. I let the smoke out of the computer I was using. 

I am now using my backup till that one gets replaced, so I will try again this weekend. Sorry. 

On 5/30/2022 at 10:38 PM, chadrob30 said:

I wonder if it would be viable to do the chassis in 2 or 3 pieces with pins and holes to mount them together? Would that mitigate some of the warping?

Just a thought here- if the back half of the frame is printed separately, you could do a SWB and a LWB back half for those that wanted to build either style.

Not sure if it's possible, but worth looking into.

At what stage is the warp occurring?

• When still on the print platform and supports before wash and post-cure
  • When still on the print platform and supports after wash but before post-cure
  • When still on the print platform and supports after wash and post-cure
  • After removal from the print platform and supports

Also just curious, what CAD are you using for your design work?

Carmak

On 6/17/2022 at 9:34 AM, Carmak said:

Carmak

The warpage is happening after it is cured and removed from supports. They are all good, then I leave them on the bench for a week and I come home to them being warped. 

It may be possible that they are getting UV light from a window and I just need to put them in a box after first cure.  

On 6/17/2022 at 9:34 AM, Carmak said:

Carmak

Using Fusion 360.