Model Cars Magazine Forum

Packard coach/tour bus

Anyone know the year?  '39 - 41?

This looks like left hand drive.  Was the photo taken in the UK or USA/Canada?

Were vehicles like this; busses; and ambulances built in house or were they subcontracted?

Edited by showrods

With that cavernous trunk space, if this one was cleaned up it would be great for wine tours (a rather new industry here in NC). Of course, you would probably want to have rubber floor covering; wine 'spew' can be messy on a carpet.

I'd say Al nailed it...I counted the snaps along the side of the roof for the canvas top; 22 in each photo.  The only difference I can see is the mirror on the survivor car, and the missing trim rings and hubcaps.  Everything else is the same. The hood-side emblem is obscured in the survivor shots (it's behind the fender marker light). The fender-top indicator lights seem like they're missing in the vintage photo, but they're actually there, just drowned in glare from the sun. Someone painted the headlight rings black at some point.

What a cool rig! I can also imagine it on a stretched modern frame with a diesel and a lift, something kind of like the Red Bull Sugga:

HCFx_zkCyzniMPfp81QYkhkKyhjEN_dpWGPOflFJ

10 hours ago, Spex84 said:

I'd say Al nailed it...I counted the snaps along the side of the roof for the canvas top; 22 in each photo.  The only difference I can see is the mirror on the survivor car, and the missing trim rings and hubcaps.  Everything else is the same. The hood-side emblem is obscured in the survivor shots (it's behind the fender marker light). The fender-top indicator lights seem like they're missing in the vintage photo, but they're actually there, just drowned in glare from the sun. Someone painted the headlight rings black at some point.

What a cool rig! I can also imagine it on a stretched modern frame with a diesel and a lift, something kind of like the Red Bull Sugga:

HCFx_zkCyzniMPfp81QYkhkKyhjEN_dpWGPOflFJ

The 4 horizontal chrome strips on the front and back passenger's side fenders are missing on the survivor as is the front door decal.

In Earl's link, there is a decal on the driver's side door but I can't make it out.  As well, there may or may not be those 4 horizontal chrome strips on the driver's side fenders.  I just can't see them well enough.

2 hours ago, showrods said:

The 4 horizontal chrome strips on the front and back passenger's side fenders are missing on the survivor as is the front door decal.

Agreed, they're missing, but check out how damaged the fenders are...I bet someone removed the strips because they were toast. And if the headlight rings are painted black, that suggests to me that the whole lower half of the car was repainted at some point, possibly covering the door emblem. I still think it's the exact car! Of course, if I'm wrong, that means there were at least 2 examples of this magnificent beast and that would be awesome!

• Like 1

World's longest rat rod...Tractor Supply flat black, red rims, whitewalls painted on with roof paint, and more saw blades and rebar than you've ever seen on one vehicle before...

• Like 1

Long vehicles with chopped roofs seldom look right.

Putting an automobile on a modern truck chassis might also cause havoc with proportion.  Modern wheel track will probably be wider than the Packard, messing with the wheel openings, and the relationship of the radiator to the Packard's front end might differ a bit.

Given the vehicle's uniqueness. I'd go with a stock restoration.

• Like 1