Model Cars Magazine Forum

Land Rover Series IIA Cannonball Run

I am dne with my Cannonball run entry for this year. It seems that there is always more that can be done, but my ADD has moved on. 

I started with the very nice Revell Land Rover SIII and converted into a Series IIA to look like a 1970. This requiress a major rework of the grill and building a whole new dash. 

I figured why stop there, I swapped out the stock puny engine for a Cummins 4BT that I modified and then 3D printed. I had to add the turbo, all plumbing, injector tubes and all the front drive accessories. The body needed a little chopping to make it fit, but no major cutting. I did find pictures on line o this very swap in real life, so I know it can and will fit. 

I added a few inches of lift to fit larger tires from Scenes Unlimited(I think). Wheels are kit wheels to keep with the theme. 

The interior has sleeping bags, an Amazon box fr parts, Igloo cooler, MAC laptop, and GPS all scratch built except for the computer and GPS that were 3D printed. There is also a new stereo head unit (Jenson) that I 3D printed. 

I also made a sleeping platform for the drivers to swap out and rest. 

The front bumper was modified to accept a winch and diamond plate added to th tops of the fenders(Wings).

Almost all the paint is craft paint airbrushed, or hand brushed. 

As for the theme, well, last year was race cars in disguise, the theme carried over a little for me this year as I decided to mask the truck in US Marshel trim. 

I figure that the local and state cops just woulld not stop a U.S. Marshal with a big DOJ emblem on the door, even if is doing 100+MPH. I may add ne of those red magnetic stick on lights, but with the aluminum body this has, I'm not sure how to attach it. 

The engine is missing the air cleaner, I will post the picture of it when it cmes off the printer. Sorry for the indoorpictures, its rainingright now. 

20220506_154839.jpg

20220506_154858.jpg

20220506_154911.jpg

20220506_154930.jpg

20220506_154934.jpg

20220506_154947.jpg

20220506_155006.jpg

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful. Where did you get the diamond plate?

Its just sheet plastic I found at Hobby Lobby. I have also seen it at Hobby Shops in Evergreen or Plastruct. Its better to find it in person, you can order it, but they offer several sizes and it is difficult for me to gauge what scale the pattern is. 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:16 PM, Oldmopars said:

I am dne with my Cannonball run entry for this year

Wow! This really turned out well. I'm inspired! You would never know that wasn't the engine that came in the kit. Agian, Steller work! I need to get my butt in gear. 😆 

• 2 months later...