Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building the 'Icon' - a 57 Chevy in Sierra Gold

beeRS

Posted (edited)

For me, the 1957 Chevy is the iconic American classic. Maybe a '59 Cadillac comes a close second. As a kid growing up in 1970s England, you don't get to see many American cars, but a 57 Chevy still hit my radar. A friend at school swapped me a Matchbox diecast with a flip front and that image of an American Classic was firmly cemented in my head. I don't have that Matchbox toy anymore, but here's a pic I found on the internet.

49609196-92540706-27890199.jpg

I have built the Monogram 1/24 '57 many years ago and I also have the old 1/25 AMT in my stash. However, I feel that the new AMT kit is far better. I believe this kit is the same as AMT's ProShop one? This one comes with a PE set and some BMF.

57-Chevy-AMT-NEW-Tool-1.jpg

First off, I'll share some pics of the kit, for anyone who's not familiar with it.

P6040001.jpg

P6040002.jpg

P6040003.jpg

P6040004.jpg

P6040005.jpg

P6040006.jpg

P6040007.jpg

P6040008.jpg

P6040009.jpg

P6040010.jpg

There'll be no keeping you in suspense about the colour choice. I'll tell you now that it's going to be Sierra Gold with white (cream) roof. I'm not fixated about getting the exact same factory paint. When it comes to modelling, I feel that the change in indoor-vs-outdoor lighting can make the same colour look different anyway. If its a close enough match to my eye, it will do. So to save a few pennies, I'm mixing GT40 Honey Gold and Ford GT Liquid Red from Zero paints in a 60:40 ratio. I think it looks about right.

P7220025.jpg

Thanks for watching and I'll post some progress soon.

Edited by beeRS

Posted (edited)

Nice color choice, and your mix does indeed look close enough! You are correct about that being the same as the ProShop boxing of that kit. Sort of surprised you aren't doing a color copy of that Matchbox car; it would make a cool mild custom! Maybe tone down the hood scoop a bit...

Edited by bisc63
added info
  • Like 1

Your kit is arguably the best '57 Chevrolet kit and the color is one of the most popular for them at that time. I have built a couple and I always pickup another whenever I see them at a swap meet. The parts fit is very good, and it will not fight you on the build. Look forward to watching this build. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

Your kit is arguably the best '57 Chevrolet kit and the color is one of the most popular for them at that time. I have built a couple and I always pickup another whenever I see them at a swap meet. The parts fit is very good, and it will not fight you on the build. Look forward to watching this build. 

I built a 57 chevy in the '70s in this color. Very classic.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:49 AM, bisc63 said:

Nice color choice, and your mix does indeed look close enough! You are correct about that being the same as the ProShop boxing of that kit. Sort of surprised you aren't doing a color copy of that Matchbox car; it would make a cool mild custom! Maybe tone down the hood scoop a bit...

Funny, that idea did cross my mind. Maybe next time. This probably won't be my last 57 Chevy build.

• Like 1