Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mickey Gilley dies at 86

Posted (edited)

Mickey Gilley, Country Music’s Urban Cowboy, Dead at 86

The piano-playing crooner had hits with “Stand By Me,” “Don’t the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time,” and an appearance in John Travolta’s 1980 box-office smash about a mechanical bull

By 

CBS Photo Archive/Gettyimage.jpeg.3b8dd5da70b24c488b41a2d18a4b0091.jpegd

Mickey Gilley, the smooth-voiced, piano-playing country crooner who helped popularize the “Urban Cowboy” movement of the Eighties, died Saturday in Branson, Missouri. He was 86. Gilley’s publicist confirmed the singer’s death.

While Gilley had a run of success in the Seventies singing barroom-piano country ballads and rave-ups like “Room Full of Roses” and “Don’t the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time,” it was his second act in the Eighties — tied to 1980’s box-office hit Urban Cowboy — that turned the Mississippi native into a crossover star.

R

Edited by slusher

Ah that sucks.I Really liked Urban Cowboy.I knew a friends older brother who went to his night club one time.He said it was huge,and an absolutely insane place to party.He even compared it to Club 54.lol.RIP cowboy.

14 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ah that sucks.I Really liked Urban Cowboy.I knew a friends older brother who went to his night club one time.He said it was huge,and an absolutely insane place to party.He even compared it to Club 54.lol.RIP cowboy.

your right Ron, my brother said you could get lost in there. The best thing is the live music like the move. We are losing all our music legens..did