Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy Phantom RPU

Jantrix

Like most of my work recently, this next build is inspired by someone's real vehicle. While perusing Pinterest a few years ago I came across a custom Chevy RPU and I stuck the photo in my files and forgot about it. Recently I found it again, and set out to find the owner/builder. Through the fine gearheads on the H.A.M.B., I tracked him down and eventually made contact with him. Klaus Gardan lives in Denmark and he built this himself, in his garage. He's the real deal. A true hot rodder. Lots of outstanding metal work. The car is called the Lady Luck 1953 Chevrolet, and you can find it on FB if your interested. Like most home-build rods it's been through lots of "versions". The red one is it's current look. Klaus has been very accommodating and has answered all my questions. It's conventionally lowered, 350 powered and if you're trying to place the rear fenders, they are hand built from a Volvo roof and VW fenders. It started as a '53 Chevy Tradesman. What I love about this phantom is that it blurs the lines between customs, hot rods and even rat rods. 

FB_IMG_1652021493878.jpg.12990c89f4c3e56e5b48ffb2b10a3d57.jpg\

FB_IMG_1652022078253.jpg.4c845bdfe57572d8a8e7cf491597d582.jpg

So my plan for my model will be "inspired" by Klaus' '53, will be an AMT '51 Chevy, using a '50 Chevy bed with '57 Chevy fenders. I'm going to start from this pile of various AMT '51 stuff. It's gonna be fun. No firm plans, I'm making this up as I go. And yes, I'm starting with the Fleetline body. Once I cut it in half, the roof will keep the body more rigid, so it'll be easier to close the back of the cab. More soon, I hope.

20220508_091518.thumb.jpg.0bb9b01043d1718aca75208309462645.jpg

• Like 2

A quick mockup. Stretched the chassis 3mm just to keep the proportions right. Next up is to get the suspension looooww. And make the wheels work with the suspension. I think some F1 tear fenders might work better. I'll have to see what I've got. 20220511_101113.thumb.jpg.29fa971757feb1bd4fad34d1422765cf.jpg

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

I think your idea of the other fenders would look better as they are more rounded. Just an opinion. 😀

11 minutes ago, chris chabre said:

Rob, I have a pair of f100 fenders Id trade for your chevy ones. Klaus drives that "pick up" hard!

Thanks guys, I was able to find a set of '50 Ford rear fenders in the parts boxes. I'm going to fill the indent on them and gettem' smooth. 

6 hours ago, slusher said:

I was just guessing that you might use Part of a Cadillac bumper..

If the Revell '57 Caddy was a super common kit with parts easily obtainable, I might have gone that way. But I'm also a proponent of using what I have on hand. As this build is only "inspired" by Klaus' Chevy, I'm free to get creative as I want to. Thanks for your interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

If the Revell '57 Caddy was a super common kit with parts easily obtainable, I might have gone that way. But I'm also a proponent of using what I have on hand. As this build is only "inspired" by Klaus' Chevy, I'm free to get creative as I want to. Thanks for your interest.

I have too use what I have also.  I was guessing  about the front bumper.

Still working a little at a time. 

F1 rear fenders,  smoothed firewall, replaced the driveshaft hump with something that will allow for a V8 and related transmission. Also the grill mod from the custom grill that comes with the kit. 

20220523_081925.jpg

20220523_081858.jpg

20220523_081904.jpg

20220523_081839~2.jpg

On 5/25/2022 at 5:50 AM, David G. said:

That bed works. I think the fenders really helped tie it all together.

David G.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:20 AM, slusher said:

Looking really good Rob, it’s coming together..

Thanks guys. The tough part of this one will be the interior. It's all separate parts, so getting everything test fitted over and over is a real pain. I need to get the a ride height set, next.

Edited by Jantrix

Working a bit at a time. Getting the ride height set. Choose a Buick 430 from the parts bin. Don't you always feel a bit of accomplishment when you finally use something that's been languishing in parts bin limbo for decades? Wheels and tires are from the Revell custom '48 Ford.

I've decided, in the spirit of the original 1:1 vehicle,  that I'm going with red oxide primer and a desert tan stripe. With a bit of gloss clear for a semi gloss look. 

I have a very cool idea for the bed of the truck that I will keep under wraps for now. More soon.

20220601_080727.jpg

20220601_080738.jpg