Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Chevy Phantom RPU

Jantrix

• 3 weeks later...

I tested positive for Covid yesterday so I'm on 10 day quarantine. My symptoms are like an allergy attack. Not too bad.

On the bright side, bench time! I've got the Chevy on all fours and the ride height is set. More soon. 

20220618_171609.jpg

20220618_171619.jpg

20220618_171634.jpg

• Like 1

So this is my plans for the bed. A few years ago I came across a pickup at a  Billetproof event who used parts of a Eat at Joes type billboard for his bed. I thought I'd spice it up a bit.

IMG_20220622_171440_853.jpg

IMG_20220622_171440_871.jpg

Edited by Jantrix
  • Like 1

I'm pretty well recovered from the Covid. My sense of taste and smell seem to be on permanent hiatus, sadly. 

Got the fender wells, firewall and cab floor fitting pretty well with the engine. Very happy. Time to pick some seats. 

20220628_160752.jpg

20220628_160801.jpg

8 hours ago, Andrew McD said:

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Me too! I know how it will appear in it's final form, but finish? I've no idea how I'm going to paint this. I've got about 6 ideas and can't decide on anything. Suggestions welcome.

Oh and btw, I've decided that unlike the real hot rod, I'm going to include the vent windows on the doors. For two reasons. One, I think the cab just looks more correct that way, more vintage perhaps. And two, I don't have to try to cut off the vent window portions of the clear piece. Which is always dicey. I'll also be leaving the side spears which I've always liked on these Chevys.

Edited by Jantrix

Really cool build. Especially how the rear fenders blend in. The air filters setup on your engine really caught my attention. Where did they come from? I would love to pop some copies of those. 

In the first primer. I've cut the windshield frame to the desired size so that it looks right with the vent windows.

I've decided to go with a gloss paint job. Testors One Coat Graphite Dust gray. The front stripe is uncertain. Also kicking around the flames from the Revell 49 Merc. More soon. 

EDIT - it's amazing what you don't notice until you post photos. See the little molded line on the front of the door? No idea what it's supposed to be but it's on both sides. Weird.

20220702_070313.jpg

20220702_070322.jpg

20220702_071048.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Been enjoying watching your build and this concept. You mentioned you weren't sure about the molding on the front fender area. A quick Google search for pictures of full-sized Chevrolets of this era may give you a better idea of what the original looked like in this area.  One thing I noticed has to do with the hood. My personal experience has to do with owning a '51 Chevy O so long ago. The kits hood should wraparound under the cowl and above the fender. The small gap between the chrome molding that runs across the body under the windshield should be covered by the hood. A check online will give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain. Keep up the great work here, looks like a fun build.