Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible L89

mrmike

This is my '68 Vette L89 painted with Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl with a Tamiya TS-29 Semi-Gloss Black interior.  I converted the Convertible L88 to a lesser L89 Convertible using some of the extra unlisted parts in the kit.  I added the AMT Pad Printed White Letter Tires instead of the tires in the box and a hood from the '71 Corvette donated to me by the late Barry Fadden aka streetrod.

68Vette67.JPG

68Vette68.JPG

68Vette69.JPG

68Vette72.JPG

68Vette73.JPG

68Vette74.JPG

• Like 4

Thank you, guys!  I was originally going to paint this 'Vette Mulsanne Blue, but then I start imagining this 'Vette in a dark green.  I was almost out of Dupli-Color Forest Green Pearl and I went out and bought some more.  Good thing I got more since I did run out and had to use the second can for touchups.

Ditto on what everybody else said, Mike, and I believe we all know the frustration you endured to get here. Sometimes you do everything right and it still gives you grief 😔. I only discovered your workbench thread today and I'm curious as to the reason for the cracking phenomenon with that hood. I think you indicated it was not the bodywork below the paint. Did you ever find the reason?

Congrats on a really nice 'vette!

Thank you, Jim and Jim D!  

20 hours ago, customline said:

Ditto on what everybody else said, Mike, and I believe we all know the frustration you endured to get here. Sometimes you do everything right and it still gives you grief 😔. I only discovered your workbench thread today and I'm curious as to the reason for the cracking phenomenon with that hood. I think you indicated it was not the bodywork below the paint. Did you ever find the reason?

Congrats on a really nice 'vette!

I think it might have been the result of adding a wider strip of styrene under the hood and some sort of reaction with the glue I used or contamination on the AMT plastic .  If I had the Revell '69 Corvette hood, this wouldn't have been a problem, but I did have the AMT '71 Corvette hood that was gifted to me and was just a little too short and I choose to add to the length of the hood.  

You may have been able to do a build-up on the edge with thick CA and zap it, layer after layer to slightly over-size and then shape it right away. Gotta be ready with your sanding block. It hardens quickly so it needs to be shaped after zapping. Adding a .005 strip as a backing may help too but use CA to attach it. Anyway, just my thoughts.  I have used this method to build up hood edges using no additional filler, just the usual finishing materials.