Model Cars Magazine Forum

Next to last C-Body....Jo-Han 1963 Chrysler 300 with a little extra..

tim boyd

Guys...given the interest some of you have expressed in my prior Chrysler 1960's C-Body models, I am going to go ahead and post the last two in my built model collection  

The first is this Jo-Han 1963 Chrysler 300 restoration.  I started this in the very early 1980's from a store-bought buildup that, if I am remembering correctly, was originally painted fluorescent pink.  

I took photos of the restoration process, and it eventually became an article published in (IIRC) SAE in the early 1990's.  .  

It was built box stock except for the AMT mags from an "I don't recall" 1AMT annual kit (perhaps their original 1970 Monte Carlo annual kit?).   They were paired with the Revell tC3 Corvette and Shelby Cobra road racer kits Goodyear bigs'n'biggers (eventually found in many of Revell's street rod kits).  They were mounted in the chassis' "lowered" axle holes for a nice/moderate ground hugging stance. .  

At the time it was near-impossible to get era-correct specific paint colors, so I painted in with a 1980 Chrysler Cordoba off-white paired with a flat burgundy/maroon interior.  Bare-Meal Foil was employed as well.  

Ever since I was a kid I've always liked the 1963 Chrysler design.  It was, admittedly, a bit of an odd duck at the time.  However, this one should be credited to Exner, not Engel, as the latter was not on the job long enough to have designed this one from scratch given all his other higher priority work (like fixing the '63 Plymouth and Dodge B-bodies to the extent possible given the late date.)  More recent auto historians, or at least some of them, have also taken this view.  

Anyway, here's the model....

DSC 0384

DSC 0379

DSC 0380

DSC 0381

DSC 0382

DSC 0383

DSC 0385

DSC 0386

DSC 0388

DSC 0389

DSC 0387