Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya extra thin cement

When I use liquid glues I have a dedicated paint brush that's about the size of the brush in a nail polish bottle. It holds a bit more than the Tamiya bottle brush but not so much that you can control the amount and get a lot of runs. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to use anything bigger than the brush that comes with the cement. That stuff is potent. It's become my go-to over the last few years. I decided to give it a shot when my LHS ran out of Bondene and I never went back!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I have started using Tamiya extra thin cement.   The brush  with the glue is way to small.

Do you guys use the brush it came with or something else ??

This glue and its brush are not meant to glue regular or greater sized parts.  They're meant specifically for small/tiny parts hence the size of the brush.

Stinks to the high heaven though.  Use in a WELL ventilated area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slusher said:

I have started using Tamiya extra thin cement.   The brush  with the glue is way to small.

Do you guys use the brush it came with or something else ??

Sounds like your using it wrong.

Place the 2 parts together leaving a small gap (just enough to put a piece of paper in the gap) use brush to apply glue, observe glue wicking of the brush. The glue relies on capillary action to pull itself into the gap. Then press the parts together, closing the gap and gluing them together. 

• Like 2

I didn't think I'd like this stuff but as soon as I opened the top I knew what it was... plain old acetone like my Mom used to remove fingernail polish, can't miss *that* smell!

I used it all the time now, with the supplied brush, but I put it on both pieces first then hold them together. If I need to I'll run some in the seam... Werx the Treat!

• Like 1

It has a reservoir in the stem like the panel line accent does. I make sure the parts fit nice with no huge gaps then apply the cement with the supplied brush and let it wick into the seam. For smaller joints I often touch the brush to the inside of the bottle neck so that I don’t get a huge drop of cement. I used to use it exclusively but lately have been using more and more CA.

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 2

I own the regular tamiya cement and both extra thin and quick setting version of tamiya.  The glue isn't meant to replace CA glue for everything.  It's suppose to be used on parts like engine halves for example that allow capillary action or any regular part that can easily allow capillary action It's not a one & 4 all type glue.  If you're putting it on two separate parts and than putting both parts together? It'll work, but not to it's fullest. By the time you put the brush back into the bottle most of it will have evaporated off the parts lol.  It has it's place for certain situations just like thin, medium, thick CA glue, epoxy, etc.  I wouldn't use extra thin cement to glue down seats into a chassis, but i would use medium CA glue like zap-a-gap or starbound for example to do that.  Everybody should have multiple types of glue on there workbench, because they all have there place and time.  Tamiya extra thin quick setting cement is especially useful to use on broken small parts instead of CA glue.  I've had kits come in with tiny broken parts and after holding the tiny part with a good set of tweezers and while holding it where it broke and than just a touch of quick setting cement it'll look like it was never broken.  Capillary action is the key and even regular thin CA glue will work the same way and using a glue looper for a cleaner job.

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, showrods said:

This glue and its brush are not meant to glue regular or greater sized parts.  They're meant specifically for small/tiny parts hence the size of the brush.

Stinks to the high heaven though.  Use in a WELL ventilated area.

It's not just for tiny parts. I've done several top chops, entire roof swaps and multi pieces bodies with it. As others have stated, put the pieces together and wick the glue into the joint. I guess I've become "nose blind" to it as I barely can smell it. 

• Like 2

The regular Tamiya thin has a lot stronger smell than the Quick Setting stuff. Also, once the bottle is about half empty, the brush will not pick up near as much since the reservoir stem is not submerged. I have poured two half bottles together to get a full one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plowboy said:

It's not just for tiny parts. I've done several top chops, entire roof swaps and multi pieces bodies with it. As others have stated, put the pieces together and wick the glue into the joint. I guess I've become "nose blind" to it as I barely can smell it. 

It didn't work well for me with larger parts but then again that could have been operator error.  It worked well for the smaller parts though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

The regular Tamiya thin has a lot stronger smell than the Quick Setting stuff. Also, once the bottle is about half empty, the brush will not pick up near as much since the reservoir stem is not submerged. I have poured two half bottles together to get a full one.

I just started using it and found out the stem is adjustable. You can pull it out a little further to let it reach further into the bottle. I like it, and I also started using their regular cement for larger parts, works well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluestringer said:

I just started using it and found out the stem is adjustable. You can pull it out a little further to let it reach further into the bottle. I like it, and I also started using their regular cement for larger parts, works well. 

Well how about that…you learn something new every day!🙂 As said this stuff will make a very strong joint on any size of parts since it “welds” the pieces together…but they have to fit with little to no gap.

7222B356-2850-42BC-8C6A-C93442883B87.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Well how about that…you learn something new every day!🙂 As said this stuff will make a very strong joint on any size of parts since it “welds” the pieces together…but they have to fit with little to no gap.

7222B356-2850-42BC-8C6A-C93442883B87.jpeg

Yeah i was gonna tell you that it could be adjusted but he beat me to it lol.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Huh, I did not know that either! And just for the record... I lay it on both parts, put them together and then if needed, add more using the 'capillary' method. Make it easier to adjust as needed.

Edited by Raoul Ross
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:45 AM, bluestringer said:

I noticed that the brush seemed short. My bottle was starting to get to the point where I almost couldn't reach the glue. You just saved me from throwing away a half bottle of glue. Not that's it's expensive, just the principal of it. 😬

• Like 2