Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Competition Coupe

Reegs

Can't post a picture.

Checked the contents carefully this time.

Decals say 392 Hemi.

Instructions say 354 Cadillac. My error.

And those sure ain't Hemi valve covers. 

Looks a lot like below. I'd say it's the Caddy, Rats.

Parts Pack E Cadillac.jpg

Edited by Reegs

The Cad engine is a good one, but using it backdates the car a bit compared to the Hemi.  No big deal, the AMT Fiat includes a 392, and I've got a couple of the Revell parts pack Hemis anyway.

If anything, I was hoping Atlantis would dust off the parts pack Buick mill and include it.  I figured the 392 wasn't going to make it into this kit.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, Phirewriter said:

The 392 is in the Miss Deal kit along with a number of other partial Parts Pack items.

Based on what i have been told, It sounds like Atlantis does not want to break out old Parts Pack engine parts that later migrated to a full kit offering.  Accordingly, I was a little surprised to hear the Early Hemi was going to be in this kit.  I don't have one myself yet, but the Caddy engine sounds like a more likely outcome.  BTW, that Caddy engine is really nicely done on its own, but for the ultimate, use the Monogram '59 Caddy engine block and basics with the chrome and hot rod parts from the Parts Pack.   

BTW that Hemi, currently in the Miss Deal tool, is unique among kit offerings in that it is the earlier 1950's version of the Hemi, with a smaller displacement and extended block behind the main engine block casting.  

Best...TB 

Edited by tim boyd

AMT/Round2 had a number of parts packs engines available not too long ago, one had a nice Hemi paired with a turbo Corvair motor. Out of production but shouldn't be too hard to find. I'd think it could be finessed into the Fiat with minimal fuss.

Edited by Phirewriter

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

BTW that Hemi, currently in the Miss Deal tool, is unique among kit offerings in that it is the earlier 1950's version of the Hemi, with a smaller displacement and extended block behind the main engine block casting.

Leads me to think it's a 331 because of the de facto cast-in bellhousing. I could be wrong; not sure if the engines designated for mating to the A-466 Powerflite (2-speed, predecessor to the A-488 Torqueflite of 1955/1956) were unique castings [?]
If the ignition distributor's on the back of the block, it's unquestionably an early Dual Rocker Arm engine (276 DeSoto, 315 Dodge, 331 Chrysler, 354 Chrysler).

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Leads me to think it's a 331 because of the de facto cast-in bellhousing. I could be wrong; not sure if the engines designated for mating to the A-466 Powerflite (2-speed, predecessor to the A-488 Torqueflite of 1955/1956) were unique castings [?]
If the ignition distributor's on the back of the block, it's unquestionably an early Dual Rocker Arm engine (276 DeSoto, 315 Dodge, 331 Chrysler, 354 Chrysler).

John...thanks for the reminder....I couldn't recall the displacement for sure.  It's a 331 to the best of my understanding....TIM .

• Thanks 1