Model Cars Magazine Forum

Extra Parts, Boxes, Instructions, Etc.

So I've been back in the hobby for about a year now and I've accumulated lots of extra parts, empty kit boxes and instructions. And I have a little stash of kits waiting to be built.  Now I'm running out of space. I know it's good to keep extra parts, so I've been clipping stuff off trees and storing them in a kit box or plastic container. What do you do with the empty kit boxes and instructions, keep them, throw them away, burn them? I've got a couple of models that didn't turn out like I planned so I just put them back in the box to either fix later or for parts. 

34 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

...Now I'm running out of space...

I periodically just have to make more space. Build shelves, a shed, dedicate half another room for storage, etc.

Easy enough if you don't share your living quarters with someone who collects beanie babies, shoes, or pool boys. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

I had a good chuckle that after a year in the hobby you are running out of space for the kit leftovers.  Some of us have been in the hobby for over half a century, and we find ways to squirrel away most of the leftovers, and the hundreds or (sometimes thousands of un-built kits).   If you stay in the hobby for another few years, you will have to find a new, larger place to live.  :D  I'm curious of how many kits have you built in that year?

But seriously, it is good to keep leftover parts and failed builds.  Plastic storage containers are available in lots of handy sizes. You could store them in those.  Instructions and boxes?  Those could be folded flat, not to take up to much space. Or dispose of them. Those are recyclable (paper and cardboard). Or if you don't recycle, trash them or burn them.

You could also scan the instructions (and even box art), and keep the scans on your computer while disposing of the paper.  If you feel charitable, assuming they don't already have them, you could send the scans to the instructions hosting site mentioned in this thread:

Edited by peteski

It's not that I've built a whole lot of kits in a year, I just don't have a lot of space. I've been in the hobby off and on since I was 12, I'm 70 now. The last time I got out of the hobby was about 20 years ago. When I retired 11 years ago we moved from the city to the country and I sold or gave away all my stash and built kits when we made the move. I got back in the hobby a year ago and since I'm retired I've had more time to build kits.  Most of my stuff is in my shed, I've built shelves for my builds, but the shed is small and it's also my music room, woodworking shed, and my ammo reloading center, so it's stuffed. I also keep some of builds in the house, and need to build some more shelves in it.  Probably be buying another small shed in the future. I don't really care about the empty boxes, so I will probably just trash them. May keep instructions to share, and will certainly keep spare parts. 

The kit boxes are something to consider keeping. I use one for the old instruction sheets. While I have a couple of plastic storage, mini storage drawer type units for extra parts, I also have a few boxes that I store larger extra parts and bodies. This last year we moved as it was time for use to downsize our home. I used a lot of paper towels and other types of padding to protect my finished models while using the now empty kit boxes. 

Decals and extra parts are saved but when looking thru them for something in particular I can't find what I need. Doesn't stop me from continuing to do it.

I used to save boxes and instructions but now toss them in the recycling. Been at this too long and realize there's no reason to keep everything.

I typically will keep kit boxes or at least the tops if the art appeals to me, usually vintage kits. I've framed some of the box tops and sides for my basement walls and now that I finally bought a mat cutter can make them a little classier. I also have vintage 60's magazine ads that will be framed, they include model kits and accessories, slot cars and other cool toys and diecast subjects. 

As far as parts, I have a lifetime accumulation and simply try to keep them organized and give away/trade anything i don't think I'll use. Between my friends and my local model club someone always seems to be in need of something. I'd rather help a guy out if possible instead of just throwing away unneeded parts. I've also made parts bags over the years and sold them at local shows as well.

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. All good suggestions. I think I will keep instructions, maybe send to Casey or keep for future reference as was mentioned. There are a few box tops/art that I will keep for the wall. The rest of the boxes will be recycled or trashed/burned. I will surely keep all leftover parts for future use and to help someone out if they need a part that I can help with. 

• Like 1

Hopefully this is s related on topic question. Some of you store models in a shed, how well do they do in the heat? What is too hot?

I too am running out of space and have plenty of room in a shed. However summer can get very warm here and I don't want all my kits getting warped and ruined. 

I've been thinking about stuffing them under the house, it's a lot cooler down there(no basement)

23 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

I typically will keep kit boxes or at least the tops if the art appeals to me, usually vintage kits. I've framed some of the box tops and sides for my basement walls and now that I finally bought a mat cutter can make them a little classier. I also have vintage 60's magazine ads that will be framed, they include model kits and accessories, slot cars and other cool toys and diecast subjects. 

As far as parts, I have a lifetime accumulation and simply try to keep them organized and give away/trade anything i don't think I'll use. Between my friends and my local model club someone always seems to be in need of something. I'd rather help a guy out if possible instead of just throwing away unneeded parts. I've also made parts bags over the years and sold them at local shows as well.

I build mostly old kits from the 50's and 60's ,so I save all the boxes. Some are worth a good bit of money.

I also save all my extra parts.  I  usually build factory stock models and am happy to give parts I won't use to  other modelers. That's one reason I finally joined this forum. 

When my wife and I got new bedroom furniture, I repurposed our old handmedown dresser. The drawer depth and width is perfect for holding 6 open kit boxes in each drawer. The instructions all fit in one box as I have only built maybe 40 kits. I have one box for engine bits, 5 boxes for tires 2 boxes for wheels, one or two for body parts, one for decals, etc. It makes it easy to pull the box out of the drawer and paw through it for what i am looking for. To save me some searching time, I presort them in various sizes of zip-loc baggies. The box tops that fold, I save flat for now. The ones that do not, hit the recycle bin.

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

• Like 1

The only boxes I have is nice box art and I put instructions in them. I save all my instructions. Boxes get tossed.  I have plastic organizers with parts. I save all my decals not used. Sometimes it’s hard finding parts you saved when you need them for a build..

Spare parts and decals I keep. They all end up in a box for future use. Or to help people out here.

As for instructions, I have no idea why I keep them, but I do. 

I also cut the end off of the box and keep that with the instructions. Then the rest goes into the recycle bin.

I can't imagine any scenario where I might need the complete box. 

Same for the instructions for that matter. But I keep them anyway.

21 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Hopefully this is s related on topic question. Some of you store models in a shed, how well do they do in the heat? What is too hot?

I too am running out of space and have plenty of room in a shed. However summer can get very warm here and I don't want all my kits getting warped and ruined. 

I've been thinking about stuffing them under the house, it's a lot cooler down there(no basement)

I live in South Georgia and it can get really hot here. Right now the heat index is 98. My shed has no AC and it's where most all my kits are, as well as some built models. I have not seen any problem so far, but I plan on getting a small window AC unit for the Summer as this is where my work area is and trying to build in that hot environment is not fun.