Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Mustang 'Sportwagon'

Joe Lange

Purchased this resin 'Transkit' from Morgan Automotive Detailing about 2 months ago and decided to start it.  Kris did a really nice job on this casting.  I'm assuming he used an 'AMT '66 Mustang Hardtop' kit as his base because that's the kit he recommends using for additional parts.  Don't try using the Revell kit!  (Trust me, it DOESN'T work.)

His website shows the bare bones kit.  I have already added the front and rear valances and firewall.  Cleaned up the body an gave it a coat of Dupilcolor primer.  Still deciding on a color. 

Leaning toward Ford 'Silver/Blue' and a darker blue for the interior.  Going to keep it stock with the 289ci. motor.     

DSC00553.JPG

DSC00556.JPG

DSC00558.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly progressing.  Decided to go with Ford 'Silver/Blue' and a medium blue for the interior.  Put a base coat on the body and went to work on the interior.  Test fitted the motor and started adding wiring and some plumbing.

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00560.JPG

DSC00570.JPG

DSC00562.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the complements, guys. 

Bob, this kit could very easily be turned into a really nice custom ride.  However, I tend to lean more to stock and factory concept, (would've, could've, should've,) cars.

When I first purchased this transkit I had a Monogram 1966 Mustang Shelby 350GT-H kit.  It was an 'already started' ebay kit and I thought a Hertz GT350 Wagon would be a great concept vehicle.  Of course, Kris Morgan meant exactly what he stated,...."For use with the AMT 1966 Mustang Hardtop Kit".  There was no way the panel fit would work with the Monogram kit, so I went the stock route.      

• 3 weeks later...

Finally completed last night.  Used 'The Model Car Garage' photo etched details in several places inside and out, and 'Keith Marks Decals' on the body.  Keith's decals are really well detailed!

Hope you enjoy the photos! 

DSC00593.JPG

DSC00594.JPG

DSC00595.JPG

DSC00596.JPG

DSC00598.JPG

DSC00599.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks for the good words guys.  

Kurt, I don't know about the 'working fast', but since retiring, I find myself busier than ever during the day, but I also have more time in the evening to sit at my bench and just keep building.  Never thought I would be able to do that!