Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is the first model I've finished in almost two years, and I started this one almost a year and a half ago. Hopefully I'll be back on the horse soon, there's a bunch of cars I want to build.

This is the old Monogram 1/72 scale kit. As you can see, it is too big for my "tarmac". To give you an idea of the size, the Valiant is 1/25 scale. I've got two more of these, one with the X-15, and I would like to do a SAC version. I also have a 1/48 B-36, and a 1/48 B-29. I don't have any idea where I'll put them all.☺️

DSCN1976.JPG

DSCN1978.JPG

DSCN1980.JPG

Edited by Kit Basher

6 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I really like that . I used to build planes because there are so many great planes and so many great kits but room became a huge issue.

Thanks, Ray. I like to build a plane and a car at the same time. That way I have something to work on while paint or glue is drying, and I don't get confused about which parts go to which model. Finding a place for the fighters is usually not so bad, they're the size of maybe two cars. But these bombers are another story.

Really great looking BUFF, Hugh. The SEA camo is excellent. This is still one of, if not the, best BUFF models available, even after 54 years.

2 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

I also have a 1/48 B-36, and a 1/48 B-29. I don't have any idea where I'll put them all.☺️

Is your B-36 the 1/48 one from HpH Models? I have their 1/48 B-52H and the Sanger vacuform B-52 which will be built as a "C" model. Tigger Models from the U.K. also has a vac 1/48 BUFF available.

8 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

I love it!!  I was born and raised in North Dakota not far from Minot / Minot AFB.  I would see these all of the time.  What an awesome plane and what a great looking model!!  Bravo!

Thanks, John! I imagine hearing one of these take off would be an experience!

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Really great looking BUFF, Hugh. The SEA camo is excellent. This is still one of, if not the, best BUFF models available, even after 54 years.

Is your B-36 the 1/48 one from HpH Models? I have their 1/48 B-52H and the Sanger vacuform B-52 which will be built as a "C" model. Tigger Models from the U.K. also has a vac 1/48 BUFF available.

Thanks, Joe! The B-36 I have is the old Monogram one. I thought this 1/72 B-52 was big, I can't imagine one in 1/48!

Thanks, Mark!

Thanks, Larry!

Excellent build of the D model Buff. Brings back many memories from my time at Carswell AFB, TX (now closed). The ones I worked were all mostly painted solid black.  They may be called "BUFF", but to me they are beautiful birds.  Most enjoyable watching those wing tips lift during takeoff, they lift an average 18 feet from taxi to full flight.

59 minutes ago, Kit Basher said:

I imagine hearing one of these take off would be an experience!

While in Texas I lived five miles away from the base, however my house was under the flight path of these monsters.  When they took-off, I could not hear my TV.  What was really awesome was when we were in practice alert and launched flights of four at a time.  I am now receiving 20% disability for hearing loss.

9 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Excellent build of the D model Buff. Brings back many memories from my time at Carswell AFB, TX (now closed). The ones I worked were all mostly painted solid black.  They may be called "BUFF", but to me they are beautiful birds.  Most enjoyable watching those wing tips lift during takeoff, they lift an average 18 feet from taxi to full flight.

While in Texas I lived five miles away from the base, however my house was under the flight path of these monsters.  When they took-off, I could not hear my TV.  What was really awesome was when we were in practice alert and launched flights of four at a time.  I am now receiving 20% disability for hearing loss.

Thanks, Ricky!  I also think they are beautiful. Hearing loss is too high a price to pay, but it must have been spectacular.

59 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Really nice job on the B-52.  It really is an iconic bomber.  I like building planes, too, but big bombers & airliners take up so much room!

Thanks, Jim! I managed to find space for my finished 1/72  Space Shuttle,  B-1,  XB-70, and this BUFF. But I was just looking at my stash, and in addition to the ones I mentioned in my first post, I have a 1/72 B-47, a 1/100 Concorde, and a 1/48 B-58. Also a couple of 1/72 C-130s. I'm going to have to put an addition on my house!

Edited by Kit Basher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Very nice work. I like that scheme. I have the kit....for 20+ years.....someday

Thanks, Dave! I know what you mean, "someday" is when I built mine.

25 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

Very cleanly built, and looks the part! Nice job.

Thanks, Rusty.

2 minutes ago, bismarck said:

Oh yeah!!! The Buff. Great looking plane Hugh. Ive had many opportunities to see these up close. They are the real “ Aluminum Overcast”. Still a great looking plane after all these years.👍🏻

Thanks, Kevin!

Nice replica of a Linebacker big belly buff.  Saw more of these than I wanted to!  This model had water burning engines that made a heck of a noise and a ton of smoke on takeoff.  Scariest thing you could do short of combat was a minimal interval take off(MITO).  4 to 6 of these along with the same number of KC-135s rolling down the runway at 15 to 30 second intervals.  On calm days you couldn't see 50 yards down the runway! 

Edited by Pete J.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

Thanks, Jim! I managed to find space for my finished 1/72  Space Shuttle,  B-1,  XB-70, and this BUFF. But I was just looking at my stash, and in addition to the ones I mentioned in my first post, I have a 1/72 B-47, a 1/100 Concorde, and a 1/48 B-58. Also a couple of 1/72 C-130s. I'm going to have to put an addition on my house!

I hear you there!  I have a 1/144 Lockheed L-1011 & a 1/144 Boeing 737.  No idea where I'm going to put the 737.  1/144 fighters don't take up all that much room, though.

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Nice replica of a Linebacker big belly buff.  Saw more of these than I wanted to!  This model had water burning engines that made a heck of a noise and a ton of smoke on takeoff.  Scariest thing you could do short of combat was a minimal interval take off(MITO).  4 to 6 of these along with the same number of KC-135s rolling down the runway at 15 to 30 second intervals.  On calm days you couldn't see 50 yards down the runway! 

Thanks, Pete! Cool video. Did you fly BUFFs or KC-135s? The closest I have ever come is riding as a passenger on a 707.

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

I hear you there!  I have a 1/144 Lockheed L-1011 & a 1/144 Boeing 737.  No idea where I'm going to put the 737.  1/144 fighters don't take up all that much room, though.

Yeah, even the 1/48 fighters aren't too bad.

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Thank goodness I have a basement full of floor joists and hooks to hang my aircrafts. A row of 1/24-25, row of 1/48ths, row of 1/72nds, and a row of Choppers.

greg

You're a lucky guy!  So, all I have to do is jack hammer up my concrete floor, and dig a basement. No problem!😁

Your model looks really good!  I built that kit years ago, in my mid-teens.  Model is long gone.  I seem to recall that I painted my gray (I'm not a military buff :) - I  don't remember any more details).  All I remember that it was a *LARGE* model. I also think the BUFFs are good looking aircraft.

3 minutes ago, peteski said:

Your model looks really good!  I built that kit years ago, in my mid-teens.  Model is long gone.  I seem to recall that I painted my gray (I'm not a military buff :) - I  don't remember any more details).  All I remember that it was a *LARGE* model. I also think the BUFFs are good looking aircraft.

Thanks, Peter! I also built one of these as a teenager. It is also long gone. I brush painted the camo in the same scheme as this one. It had the cool "jet engine sound" which I played with maybe twice. I didn't include that on this one, so if anybody wants the parts for the noisemaker, just let me know.