Model Cars Magazine Forum

Update! Moebius 65 Dodges

@Dave Metzner
The 1963-69 series plate began alphabetically, with three letters beginning with AAA and ending in 1969 with approximately ZZW. Consequently, you can reasonably estimate the approximate year the plate was issued by the beginning three letters. Generally plates BEGINNING with the following letters correspond to the year of issue: ABCD= 1963, EFGHI=1964, JKLMN=1965, OPQRS=1966, TUVW=1967, WXYZ=1968-69.

The 1963 series black, steel, plates, has "63" stamped in the upper right hand corner of these plates. This area of the plate was covered by a year sticker in 1964. 1963 series was the last of the California steel license plates. Some of the last, very late, 1969 issues of the 1963 series steel plates were made of aluminum.

I did find this chart but looking for more details. 1:1 resto reason too

9490E365-F7A7-41BA-B091-B4C66FC55699.jpeg
More:

63 - AAA-RDA
64 - RDB-SDP
65 - SDQ-TEC
66 - TED-UGD
67 - UGE-WEC
68 - WED-YCE
69 - YCF-ZZZ

Edited by keyser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loving the grills.  As a 65 1:1 Coronet owner and right now in the process of building an original 65 Coronet it is nice to see an accurate grill, headlight combo.  The AMT original kit's grill  is better than the Polar Lights but still pretty week.  Thanks for the update Dave.  Love both kits.   

1972 Coronet and Keyser, thanks for the tutorial on California Black plates. I hope to be able to use that info when planning license plate decals for the super stock version of these kits!

Car on box art MIGHT be bright red and sitting in front of a rickety old garage!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Dave Metzner said:

[T]hanks for the tutorial on California Black plates. I hope to be able to use that info when planning license plate decals for the super stock version of these kits!

Thanks for your consideration of providing accurate licence plates for your 1965 Coronets; additional thanks to @SfanGoch for providing a link to the history of the California plates. 
Since you'd mentioned specifically the Super Stock ("WO51") version of the Coronet; I wish to propose that you offer a c.1967-c.1969 series plate. Since the S/S versions weren't registered for on-highway use, they wouldn't have been issued a 1965-series plate. Now, the street version of the Coronet would have 1965-alpha-numeric-series plates (with two 'YEAR' stickers; no 'MONTH' sticker).

As a side note; for a state --I'm a lifelong resident-- whose recognition is the Hot Rod birthplace, the plates here are surely bland and uninspired. I don't mind the 1979 & earlier, 6-character plates; nor am I opposed to the 1982-1987 Golden State series -- it's those fugly 1994-present plates with that barfy, styllised , cursive 'California' which is printed-on the top. Add the boring DMV website reference to the bottom of the plates, and it's snoozeville. 
The 'retro series' black & gold are fine, but aren't the best. Why those plates are issued to non-1963-1969 (1971 trucks) vehicles is a logic which escapes me.

Now, the 1976-1979 Michigan plates are my all time favourites.

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Now, the street version of the Coronet would have 1965-alpha-numeric-series plates (with two 'YEAR' stickers; no 'MONTH' sticker).

Also remember that the renewal stickers are only on the rear plate. One of my pet peeves is when model companies make California plate decals that are identical.

• Like 1

Year sticker changes color and side too. Back when people were capable. 
65-6-7 plates awesome. Pasadena pretty nice place then and now, so new plate fine for song purposes. 
Just because it’s not to be registered as street car doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 😃 Manufacturer or dealer plates go a long way not that I’d know such things. 

• Like 1

no release dates yet, we have a long way to go before any finished product is on a boat. Tooling hasn't even started yet -the good news is that most of the content for both cars is already tooled - mechanicals are same as Plymouth kits...

I wouldn't expect first kits to arrive before 4th quarter of this year maybe later if container shortages persist ... and, above all, I make no promises or guarantees!  Over 25 plus years of doing this, I have seen how often production schedules end up in the dumper!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

no release dates yet, we have a long way to go before any finished product is on a boat. Tooling hasn't even started yet -the good news is that most of the content for both cars is already tooled - mechanicals are same as Plymouth kits...

I wouldn't expect first kits to arrive before 4th quarter of this year maybe later if container shortages persist ... and, above all, I make no promises or guarantees!  Over 25 plus years of doing this, I have seen how often production schedules end up in the dumper!

Lol!

On 5/16/2022 at 12:20 PM, keyser said:

Doesn’t have to be bright red. Ruby red metallic works fine. 
Google Bungalow Heaven neighborhood in Pasadena for box art home/garages. Lol. 
Great excuse to visit. Fun town, OG style. 

F641D6FC-29E6-43F2-BC71-4554D4737609.jpeg

That car belongs to my friend Darin. It's a '65 Coronet 440 with a Hemi and I have been wanting to do a build of that car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1967RMP said:

How likely would this version be?

img1849_172773.jpg.973564db3d8f1e3ce2ab752c8b733674.jpg

I don't know if Moebius will ever give us a Police Pursuit specific version, but it should be easy enough to make with some kit bashing with earlier Plymouth kits.  Here's one I did of a 65 Plymouth State Patrol car.

spacer.png

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119408-65-belvedere-kansas-highway-patrol/

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 5

On 5/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, Mark said:

Those AWB cars were converted by an ambulance builder, they didn't necessarily brace everything up as much as was really needed.  Front fenders were fiberglass, short production run things, so all of that leads to the body lines getting a bit wonky on some of those cars.  The wheelstands didn't help at the back end either!

49118502_1223205914494052_3542783432864038912_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, SteveG said:

I don't know if Moebius will ever give us a Police Pursuit specific version, but it should be easy enough to make with some kit bashing with earlier Plymouth kits.  Here's one I did of a 65 Plymouth State Patrol car.

spacer.png

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119408-65-belvedere-kansas-highway-patrol/

-Steve

You even got the gasket on the gumball machine! Nice touch.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:28 AM, bytownshaker said:

49118502_1223205914494052_3542783432864038912_n.jpg

One of the "factory guys" had to give his car back over the wheelstand thing.  I don't remember who it was, but I believe the car involved became the Mr. Norm (Kraus) car after that.