Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 hour ago, TooOld said:

Thanks Steve !  I don't think I've done a full detail build since my '71 Roadrunner so it's definitely time for one . . . but it won't be this one . Maybe the next one .

Okay.

I was just going to suggest removing the front screw posts, but I’m sure that would have been on your radar were you doing a detailed engine compartment.

Steve

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Okay.

I was just going to suggest removing the front screw posts, but I’m sure that would have been on your radar were you doing a detailed engine compartment.

Steve

Absolutely . But I would take it a step further and remove the entire radiator support and replace it with a fabbed piece and use a separate radiator .

Thanks for the input Steve !

I was looking through some photos to see if I missed anything and realized that the seals around the door glass really stand out against the light yellow paint , so I added them using some .040" half round strip . After paint and foil I can brush paint them with some Tamiya Rubber Black .

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:49 AM, TooOld said:

Absolutely . But I would take it a step further and remove the entire radiator support and replace it with a fabbed piece and use a separate radiator .

Thanks for the input Steve !

Agreed.

Removing the screw posts would have been a minimum requirement for me, but I likely would have replaced the entire bulkhead as well.

Great work as usual Bob!

Steve

On 7/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, espo said:

Amazing attention to fine details being done here. 

On 7/15/2022 at 7:41 AM, David G. said:

Nice catch on the seals. And even better, an easy add.

David G.

22 hours ago, cobraman said:

Coming along very nicely.

Thanks much guys !  I finished pepping the body and got some white primer on it a few days ago then sprayed the color yesterday .  Hoping to get it cleared this weekend and post some pics !

Just found this thread. Very interesting modifications and details. I sympathize with you on how changing things on the chassis plate affects the interior to body interface. I have a number of hours sorting out things like that on two builds in progress. (1970 El Camino Pro Street and a 1974 Hurst olds with chassis parts from a 66 GTO and a 67 Chevelle)

On 7/16/2022 at 7:56 AM, slusher said:

Looking forward too seeing some color on your excellent build!

Thanks Carl !

8 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Just found this thread. Very interesting modifications and details. I sympathize with you on how changing things on the chassis plate affects the interior to body interface. I have a number of hours sorting out things like that on two builds in progress. (1970 El Camino Pro Street and a 1974 Hurst olds with chassis parts from a 66 GTO and a 67 Chevelle)

I've done several builds like this so it's not a real surprise anymore and it's easier now to make adjustments .

After wet sanding and a good cleaning I sprayed two coats of primer .

After drying for 24 hours I sprayed two coats of Meadowlark Yellow .

After another 24 hours it got two coats of clear . The scoop is just sitting in place for now .

I'll spray a couple more coats of clear after the stripe decals are applied .

While things were drying I had time to work on the wheels and tires . 

To be continued . . . 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 4:41 PM, espo said:

Starting to look like the real thing. Great job on this. 

Thanks David !

Decals and emblems are on !   The Ranchero quarter panel is longer than the Torino and the kit stripe was too short so I printed my own stripes . I'll tackle the foil this weekend .

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 7:20 PM, kelson said:

Looking great so far!!

6 hours ago, slusher said:

Man, that looks fantastic!!

Thanks much Curtis and Carl !   Working on the BMF this morning and it's going much quicker than I thought it would , of course I can't see like I used to so who knows what it will look like .

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Wow, that's just gorgeous!

The paint, striping and other details just come together so well.

David G.

Thanks David !

Finished the BMF this morning .  Still needs a couple little details painted before moving on to the grille , taillights and bumpers .

• Like 2