Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/25 Corvair as Yenko Stinger

Matt Bacon

Been looking or one of these for a while, following an article by Jay Leno in a recent Octane and then watching the episode of his Garage featuring the beastie.

kit-o-parts.jpg

This boxing of the kit includes many, if not all, of the optional parts from the various versions offered over the years. There's no mention of Yenko or the Stinger in the instructions, but the essential parts for a Monza or Stinger seem to be present and correct.

mockup-with-sails-1.jpg

mockup-with-sails-rear.jpg

mockup-with-sails-left-profile.jpg

The sail panels that extend the C-pillars and engine cover with spoiler and vents are two key features of the original, and there are "tuned" engine parts and extras for the cabin. Some elements are used in the build option that's described as "Rally" in the instructions, but you really just need to work from references and enjoy discovering how many of the bits you need are already in the box...

nose-ready-for-filler.jpg

One key difference between the '69 body in the box and the earlier 66 body used as the basis of the Stingers is that the later model has a lot more chrome trim. Here I've carved off the front end adornment, preparing for the much simpler, flatter nose of the earlier car.

nose-first-milliput.jpg

Milliput two part epoxy putty to fill the gap, because it's strong and sands really well.

nose-second-milliput.jpg

After first sanding and a bit of additional putty.

corvair-in-rotisserie.jpg

Time to begin work on the chassis as well.

best,

m.

Thanks, guys. Moving along....

Body primed with TS-101 Base White. Quite a few rounds of filling, priming,  and sanding to get to this point!

body-ts101.jpg

nose-done-1.jpg

body-engine-in-1.jpg

Happy with how the front end has come out...

engine-trial-2.jpg

engine-trial-1.jpg

Engine is under way, and is pretty well detailed. I think I need to figure out how to mount it higher in the engine bay -- not too much, but right now it looks like it's all hanging under the car. All the pictures I have of the real thing show the exhausts coming out through the rear valance either side of the moulded in grille, but as things are the headers will emerge from under the body...

best,

M.

• Like 2

A fair bit of masking to paint a few bits black! The engine is started, using Citadel Contrast Paint "Black Templar" over Tamiya Grey Primer. It's a bit hard to see here, but it does shadowing, washing and dry-brushing all in one. Lots more detail painting on the engine to be done, but it's a solid starting point.

black-bits-done.jpg

best,

M.

Matt...great minds must think alike.  I am currently doing two of those Corvairs at once.  One of them is the Yenko Stinger Stage II.  I am a little further along than you. Both  bodies done, decalled and foiled. Working on the engines now.  I had four of these kits and have a toe of extras if you need them. 

It's been a busy week, but managed to make some progress at least:

stripe-on-1.jpg

stripe-on-2.jpg

stripe-on-3.jpg

Stripe's probably a bit wide (though it varies depending on which car you're basing your build on) but the benefit of using tape sizes you have on hand for masking outweighs the value of strict scale accuracy, IMHO... and this is MY Stinger, not Jay's...

best,

M.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys, and thanks for the reminder, @gearhedjon. So I have added the lower body blue:

lower-body-blue-1.jpg

lower-body-blue-2.jpg

lower-body-blue-3.jpg

Some progress with painting and detailing the engine:

engine-painted-1.jpg

engine-painted-3.jpg

The aluminium ferrules will become convincing "velocity stacks" I hope...

dash-base.jpg

Not a great picture, but it should be clear that I filled the central dial and replaced it with the four smaller gauges of the Yenko dash, and I've used liquid cement to texture the crackle-black areas around the gauges and glovebox.

Next steps with both the body and interior require breaking out the chrome...

best,

M.

Got the engine wiring squared away, and a few more details:

engine-wired-1.jpg

engine-wired-2.jpg

There's some more to do, but thank goodness I remembered that you're supposed to finish the engine AFTER the main assembly is in place!

chrome-on-1.jpg

chrome-on-2.jpg

Mostly chrome, though if you look carefully you can see that the headlights now have disc lenses punched from pill packaging for the dished effect...

tub.jpg

Tub detailing under way. Need to sort the pedals and shift lever!

engine-in-1.jpg

engine-in-2.jpg

Engine in. It will go in this built up, but requires some careful twisting and fettling to get all the bits together. I think opening a slot to the mounting point at the front of the bay would make things much easier! Time for a coil and some battery cables...

And here we are this evening:

progress-2-Jun-2.jpg

progress-2-Jun.jpg

...not sure how much will get done the next few days, despite the long weekend...we have family visitors on the way!

best,

M.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 2:05 PM, Matt Bacon said:

Thanks, guys, and thanks for the reminder, @gearhedjon. So I have added the lower body blue:

lower-body-blue-1.jpg

lower-body-blue-2.jpg

lower-body-blue-3.jpg

Some progress with painting and detailing the engine:

engine-painted-1.jpg

engine-painted-3.jpg

The aluminium ferrules will become convincing "velocity stacks" I hope...

dash-base.jpg

Not a great picture, but it should be clear that I filled the central dial and replaced it with the four smaller gauges of the Yenko dash, and I've used liquid cement to texture the crackle-black areas around the gauges and glovebox.

Next steps with both the body and interior require breaking out the chrome...

best,

M.

I forgot which is which. The last AMT version (1967+) of the dash is the NON-Corsa with no tach and extra gages. Did Yenko use a 1965 type dash?

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress, detail by detail, but finally got to the point when it's worth mocking up again...

mocked-up-18-jun-1.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-2.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-3.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-4.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-5.jpg

mocked-up-18-jun-6.jpg

Definitely need to fix the front track before the wheels go on firmly, and the rears are pretty wobbly as well. Some yenko decals for the body as well before final clear and polish...

best,

M.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, guys. Boy, it's been a long time..... Work, COVID, holidays and the garden  have conspired against progress. But I'm nearly there now...

interior-done-from-front.jpg

interior-done-from-rear.jpg

interior-done-from-above.jpg

That's the interior finished.

engine-done.jpg

And the completed engine.

body-with-windows.jpg

Body with glass (which does not fit to save your life....). Note the coil pack on the rear bulkhead, apparently to stop it overheating on race cars.

mocked-up-rear-right.jpg

mocked-up-front-right-XL.jpg

mocked-up-front-left.jpg

Pretty much there now, I reckon. Next pictures will be in Under Glass.

best,

M.