Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vallejo Model Air

I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a car using Vallejo Primer, followed by Vallejo Model Air, followed by either Vallejo Gloss or Vallejo Clear and if so what the result were.

Edited by showrods

5 minutes ago, showrods said:

I'm curious as to whether anyone has done a car using Vallejo Primer, followed by Vallejo Model Air, followed by either Vallejo Gloss or Vallejo Clear and if so what the result were.

I've used vallejo air on small parts and stuff but never a body. I would not use there primer either you can't really sand it at all.  

On 5/18/2022 at 3:24 AM, showrods said:

I have and I agree with @Dpate; the primer does not sand. However, the primer does stick! I do use both Vallejo primer and the Vallejo model air sometimes on a body. I use the primer when I know the body is all smooth and does not have to be altered anymore. 

The Vallejo Model air works good for solid colors, not such fan of the metallics. It is quite resistent to many different clear coats. I do have the Vallejo clears, but I use them only for smaller parts. I use PU 2K as a clearcoat and Model Air handles that without problems. 

10 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I have and I agree with @Dpate; the primer does not sand. However, the primer does stick! I do use both Vallejo primer and the Vallejo model air sometimes on a body. I use the primer when I know the body is all smooth and does not have to be altered anymore. 

The Vallejo Model air works good for solid colors, not such fan of the metallics. It is quite resistent to many different clear coats. I do have the Vallejo clears, but I use them only for smaller parts. I use PU 2K as a clearcoat and Model Air handles that without problems. 

Yeah there black is fantastic. 

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Sure would like to see some finished work.

I don't put much stock in advice without visual evidence backing it up.

I guessed I earned a bit of credit when it comes to paint and finish, but sure, here is 'proof'....

The yacht is painted with Model Air black 057, Model Air Gun Metallic and Model Air Orange, clearcoated with Zero 2K

The same goes for the matching Challenger, although it had some more Model Air colors on the front (red, yellow, white and orange)

The BMW M1 has a combination of Zero colours and Model Air colors, everything apart from the numbers is airbrushed, clearcoated with Ultimate Paints 2K

The artwork is done with Model Air colors, the finish is Zero 2K

The Pfalz is done with Model Air grey something and Model air red, clearcoated in Zero 2k and zero 2K matte.

The Trabant is painted with Zero white and a mixed purple Model air color, clearcoated in Zero 2k.

yacht071.jpg

Challenger034.jpg

bmwm1lm049.jpg

wizard139.jpg

pfalz087.jpg

trabant20.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I guessed I earned a bit of credit when it comes to paint and finish, but sure, here is 'proof'....

Much appreciated being able to see examples of what you've achieved with the materials referenced in the thread.

And that's the point of my asking for visuals.

Not everyone here is familiar with your work, or knows how or desires to take the time to search it out.

Real results or photographic examples posted in a "question" thread vastly improve the thread's usefulness as a source of valid information.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4