Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Pair of Camaros--Dual 1970 Camaro Build-Z-28 in "Under Glass"

mustang1989

On 5/29/2022 at 6:23 AM, mustang1989 said:

I use sanding sticks starting with the medium ranges and working my way through the finer ranges. I used the sameย  trick on my Monogram 69 Camaro a few years back and they came out alright.

spacer.png

Wait, did you actually make that Camaro look good? Why yes you did!

You've got to show Snake45 what this looks like! He'll never believe this came from a "Backbirth" Camaro kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2022 at 1:08 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Wait, did you actually make that Camaro look good? Why yes you did!

You've got to show Snake45 what this looks like! He'll never believe this came from a "Backbirth" Camaro kit.

I've gotta say.....ALOT of work was involved. Thanks Patrick.

One of the shortcomings of this kit is in the exhaust area. First off, there's LOTS of clean up to do, more so on this kit than most any other of the models I've built in the past.

After that is the issue of the position of the tail pipe when it's all installed onto the vehicle and the fact that I'm not a big fan of square cut exhaust pipes exiting any give car.ย 

OOB exhaust: (Note: the tires will be re-positioned in the wheel opening so I'm still working on that) This crazy right??ย 

xINjTo.jpg

ย 

After tweaking the exhaust mounting points and bending the pipes to where I wanted them to exit the car (and adding my bevel cuts to the tail pipes and hollowing them out). That's MUCH better.

ย 

qilIur.jpg

ย 

I still have some adjustments I'll make later on in regards to the final locations of each pipe but this is the preliminary result:

cmWGxL.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the absence guys. I'll be commenting on others builds in the coming days but haven't had much time for forums as of late.ย 

Completed subframe with modified spindles to drop the front end a little bit along with the mostly completed bare engine:

9WkBk2.jpg

I purchased my first two MAD prewired distributors. I've gotta say that I am definitely impressed, and thanks goes out to those who started the thread on pre-wired distributors here. This cut my time in like 1/10th of the time from drilling the OOB distributors and inserting the ignition wire myself. They come in all kinds of cap and wire colors.

mpEUoA.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the engine mostly done on this rascal. I'm mostly happy with this but that goofy looking fan clutch I'm glad to say will be mostly hidden in the fan shroud.

Here it is installed onto the subframe. I managed to shoot a coat of semi-gloss black on the chassis followed by a light over coat of super thinned out gray which helped to tone things down some and bring out some of the details. I also installed an engine oil dipstick on the driver's side of the engine. Here's everything all fitted up and ready to go now.

mcD9Yv.jpg
ย 

• Like 1

Thanks fellas!!ย 

Next up.....the interior. This dash took me pretty much a whole week to get done and it's not the easiest of dashes to negotiate in terms of modeling. I feel that I've turned out a lot better ones than this, but you'll see what I've got to work with.

Here's what I started with:

vvmYod.jpg

I ended up cleaning things up a bit flash wise and drilling out all the gauge impressions.

PY6LvF.jpg

I had some gaugesย from Goffer Racing that I used for the smaller gauges but used the OOB ones for the speedo and tach to stay as close to OEM look as possible. I then cut them down to squares and glued them in from the back side. The swing pedal levers were then thinned out to a truer to scale thickness and the whole dash was painted up and detailed. The "Camaro" emblem on the glove box was a PE offering from Model Car Garage and the radio face station tuning decal was from the spares box.

ZaKmvO.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you Mike, Doyle and Dan!!ย 

Today saw the completion of the interior. I made a couple of changes and a few upgrades to what was already there OOB. I didn't like the fake looking shifter lever so I made my own from a bobby pin. Model Car Garage PE adorns areas of the dash and a set of keys now hang from the ignition switch. Floor mats are from Plastic Dreams.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, slusher said:

Great dash and interior detail Joe!

Thanks Carl. Glad you're here dude.

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Oh man Joe, you killed that interior, WOW!!

Really appreciate the very kind comments Mike.

15 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

Beautiful interior!! may I ask what different colours of black did you use.

Thanksย 

'Preciate it Ed. I used Testors Semi Gloss Black Lacquer as a covering base to completely cover the orange molded plastic. After that I used MM Semi Gloss Black acrylic because it's a little more toned down in luster in comparison to the lacquer based semi gloss black that I used as a base. I masked around the fabric sections of the seats and used MM Flat Black acrylic to replicate the low luster of the fabric. Dash and door panels received the Testors SG Black and then MM SG Black.

14 hours ago, Danno said:

Very good!

Thanks Danno!ย 

5 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Joe your interior looks awesome very clean and great detail.ย 

Thank you Dan. Dang it ....I missed the dang HAMMS show this year. No worries....I'll be at the NATS for sure.

• mustang1989 changed the title to A Pair of Camaros--Dual 1970 Camaro Build-Z-28 in "Under Glass"