Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '63 Meteor

Maindrian Pace

Last Saturday I picked this up from an estate sale. A bit disheveled looking, It had Lincoln wheel covers and the tires were melted half off the wheel backs, so I gave it a Level 2 tidy (shameless Cold War Motors reference) with a correct set of wheel covers in my stash (3 anyway, the fourth is slightly different but close enough for this) and a general fussing. I originally thought that someone painted it that bluish gray, but later observed that the whole kit is molded in that color, with only the chassis and interior wearing paint. I didn't know that AMT did colored plastic that early, My other '63 Meteor is the usual ivory white styrene.

IMG_0638.thumb.jpeg.79bfb320406d98b5ce5e687da0c49121.jpeg

IMG_0637.thumb.jpeg.2dd7fcdac3f8051219fc588f787cdaf0.jpeg

IMG_0641.thumb.jpeg.99bc1dd325003575ba4f4112bc7da147.jpeg

IMG_0642.thumb.jpeg.7f07c916386edd10d10f7d7456725b89.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice save Mike! I have a '61 Comet that could benefit from the same treatment. AMT did colored plastic as far back as '61. Did your Meteor have an engine? I have a '62 Fairlane molded in green that has an engine. Pretty sure it's a promo. But, I've always thought promos came without an engine.

Roger, Ironically I just did a level 3 on a '61 Comet, a glue/paint bomb that turned out pretty well as a bare plastic shelf model. As well as a '60 Comet, and most recently a '63 convertible which is missing only the seat unit. The Meteor kits have engines, as this one does. The '62 and '63 Meteor promos did not have an engine, but they had a separate hood and the engine bay as in the kit, but with the promo style chassis. The '62 Fairlane promo did have an engine, as Ford wanted to show off their all-new 145 HP 221 Fairlane V8. I have the same green Fairlane promo, but it's pretty rough and missing the hood.