Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Foose Cadillac.

Dragonhawk1066

I'm probably one of the last modelers to build the Foose Cadillac, but here goes. I did the usual parts prep work, including removing mold lines and copyright stamps, trimmed the flash, and then scribed the panel lines over the weekend and gave everything a Dawn dishwater bath. After drying overnight I went ahead and sprayed on the Stynylrez primer. I was scraping the bottom of the bottles, so I mixed the white I had left with the remaining gray, and through the airbrush at about 32 psi it went.

DSCN0730.JPG

DSCN0732.JPG

DSCN0733.JPG

DSCN0736.JPG

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

Things went kind of crazy these last couple of days as we had to take one of our Basset Hounds to the vet for surgery for pyometra, two years after her sister had to do the same thing. Anyways, I was able to get all of the parts painted to keep my mind off of missing our girl until we could bring her home. I have to resort to making color lists and separating the parts into labeled baggies so as not to forget anything. Even then I missed the rear seats in the interior tub part, so I had to go back and get those painted before taping off for the second interior color. I used Mission Models Aluminum, Green Stuff World Chrome, and a custom mix of Glossy Black and the Galvanized Tin body color for the colors so far.

DSCN0739.JPG

DSCN0741.JPG

DSCN0742.JPG

DSCN0744.JPG

DSCN0745.JPG

Thankfully we were able to bring our girl home this morning, and she seems to be doing very well considering. Feeling more relaxed, I was able to get the body wet-sanded this afternoon with some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I'm hoping I can get the body color on tomorrow. I also have to mix a non-glossy "Dark Tin" for the interior carpet area and convertible top, since I wasn't thinking and used the gloss black instead of flat black, LOL. On top of everything else, my brother drove our mom down to Ann Arbor Hospital this afternoon to prep for a heart procedure on Monday that she's been waiting 6 months for. Hopefully this great hobby can help keep my mind off of things like it thankfully has so far.

DSCN0747.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bennyg said:

I’ve got one on the stash. I look forward to seeing how yours goes.

Ben

14 hours ago, ozmodeler said:

Coming along nicely , I'm looking forward to seeing the body in color.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Interior colors are really nice. Are you air-brushing or hair-brushing those craft paints? The finish is very attractive.

I mostly airbrush them, but for some smaller parts I do hand paint them.

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Looking great Craig.  I've looked at that kit and thought it was cool since it came out but never bought it.  Might be inspiring me to get one.

I'll be watching!!

Thanks Mike, It is a nice kit and I don't think I've seen one built badly yet. It was a Father's Day gift a couple of years ago and I'm glad I finally got the inspiration for a color to get it built.

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Neat system you have for colors and parts. Real nice work so far and i hope your mom does well…

Thanks for the well wishes. Funny thing is I still forgot to paint a major piece, LOL

I got the body painted in the Anita's Metallic Galvanized Tin craft paint today. I mixed in some Duraclear Gloss Varnish and a few drops of Createx Retarder for flow improvement. I sprayed it through my cheap dual-action airbrush at 22 psi, three coats total. I also mixed a Dark Gray for the top using Delta Ceramcoat Black and Apple Barrel Elephant Gray with some Duraclear Matte Varnish added for durability at the same psi. I hand painted the carpet area with a less-thinned cap-full of that same dark gray mixture. I also taped off and sprayed the top of the console with the Galvanized Tin. Since I changed my mind and painted the engine a darker color, I painted over the Dark Tin valve covers and air cleaner with the Galvanized Tin body color for contrast. Included are a pic of the un-assembled engine and undercarriage for an idea of my color contrast scheme. I'll get some clear on the body in a couple of days, and will be painting, detailing, and assembling the other parts until then.

DSCN0753.JPG

DSCN0755.JPG

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0751.JPG

DSCN0752.JPG

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Wow Craig, that is coming out great, cool color. 

Agreed! Besides looking good, the finishes and clean build give an extremely realistic finish to the various surfaces.

great work so far! Love the chosen colours for they add a certain kind of elegance!

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I’ve got one of these in this stash ready to be backdated to the original Boyd version, before Foose redid it…I’m excited to see this one come together!

Some years ago I had a lot of fun with that project:

1045363061_01RevellEldorod.jpg.c5aa955189a9bb2607eae570315f283c.jpg

Unfortunately my paint turned out a little bit too red 🙄 I wish you all the best for yor take on it. If you need some tips, here is my WIP:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/138128-revell´s-´48-custom-cadillac-the-eldorod-of-´98-finished/

• Thanks 1

I was able to spray the Krylon Short Cuts Clear on yesterday, and I'll probably wet-sand and polish it on Friday. I worked on the engine and chassis today, and managed to pretty much finish those. I'm debating whether to leave the wheels chrome, or spray some Tamiya Smoke on them. I'll finish the interior tomorrow and probably spray some primer on my next project, the Foose FD-100 Pickup after that.

DSCN1011.JPG

DSCN1013.JPG

DSCN1007.JPG

DSCN1009.JPG

DSCN1010.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys! I managed to get the interior done today. I also put the valve cover and air cleaner decals on, they're very subtle, but I like the look. Seeing the top of the steering wheel in these pics makes me want to try to repair it or find a different one, it was difficult removing it from the sprue without some kind of flaw. The attachment point was not very well located and was a little thick and the flaw is much more noticeable in the pic than in person.

DSCN1016.JPG

DSCN1017.JPG

DSCN1018.JPG

DSCN1015.JPG

• Like 1