Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone know what this kit is?

Looks like the MPC (1/20 scale) Hard Hat Hauler.  There was a 1:1 version that toured the show circuit as a feature car.  Both the kit and 1:1 car had THREE superchargers, stacked vertically.  (Of course three wouldn't work as well as just one, but the car probably didn't run anyway.)  The kit had a big chrome hard hat (similar concept to the Red Baron, with its German helmet).  It also had a "forklift" setup at the front.

MPC issued another, football themed kit (Gridiron Grabber) which used the same basic car but with a football helmet and shoulder pads over the rear tires.  That one had two superchargers on one of those "pyramid" intake manifolds.

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Looks like the MPC (1/20 scale) Hard Hat Hauler.  There was a 1:1 version that toured the show circuit as a feature car.  Both the kit and 1:1 car had THREE superchargers, stacked vertically.  (Of course three wouldn't work as well as just one, but the car probably didn't run anyway.)  The kit had a big chrome hard hat (similar concept to the Red Baron, with its German helmet).  It also had a "forklift" setup at the front.

MPC issued another, football themed kit (Gridiron Grabber) which used the same basic car but with a football helmet and shoulder pads over the rear tires.  That one had two superchargers on one of those "pyramid" intake manifolds.

Ya just beat me to it. LOL. 

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark said:

The wheel discs had portraits of politicians...Democrats on the left side, Republicans on the right side.  I remember it being promoted as the "Archie Bunker car" for a short time.

I remember the 1:1, I figured it was MPC? just couldn't find it. based on pricing, I wish I had the rest of it haha

I'd imagine a sealed or mint original might have some value, the reissue might turn up cheap on occasion.  I've had an eye open for one, but I'd want it for cheap as I only want the engine for a 1/20 scale funny car.

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

I'd imagine a sealed or mint original might have some value, the reissue might turn up cheap on occasion.  I've had an eye open for one, but I'd want it for cheap as I only want the engine for a 1/20 scale funny car.

There's a couple on e-bay right now but the asking prices are ridiculous.  

Asking prices on eBay are pretty much ridiculous for everything...the free listings keep rolling over, some items are out there for a year or more.  Finding the parts I'd like to have aren't a top priority, I'll trip over a built one at a show or in a collection someone I deal with picks up...