Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

Posted on Facebook Model Car Group this morning... I felt this one deserved its own thread!  I believe this was shown at the Round2 booth this morning at the HCMA Show in Indianapolis; possibly being released in late-2022(?).  There was also mention of the Hardtop-version of this same kit coming in 2023... I'm sure more detailed info will be forthcoming.

RT.jpg

3DRT.jpg

Edited by '70 Grande
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

That's gonna make a lot of people very happy. 👍

Very happy with this news.  I'm one of those that have been requesting this for years.  Also,  some of those Coronet threads I have been starting.    Let's all support Round 2.  I bet we'll see more coming out.

And some of you all thought Round 2 wasn't listening....but in reality they were, and had been doing so for several years.  Success with the "cloning" process used with the '63 Chevy II wagon and the '64 Olds Cutlass also helped make this one a reality. 

I'm happy they went with the convert first, and also cool they included the "Haul It" trailer that was in the original annual kit. 

Sure hope the kit sales live up to the amount of prior model car builder feedback on this topic....

TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

And some of you all thought Round 2 wasn't listening....but in reality they were, and had been doing so for several years.  Success with the "cloning" process used with the '63 Chevy II wagon and the '64 Olds Cutlass also helped make this one a reality. 

I'm happy they went with the convert first, and also cool they included the "Haul It" trailer that was in the original annual kit. 

Sure hope the kit sales live up to the amount of prior model car builder feedback on this topic....

TB 

Time for me to eat crow. I have been critical of Round 2 for their old reissues and overlooking new tools such as the 68 R/T. I have to buy these new tools to put my money where my mouth is. It's nice to see plans for some current vehicles as well! Sometimes it pays to be a squeaky wheel. Hats off to Round 2.

Call me one of the chorus. The new Coronets will inspire me to fire up my debit card. I’m also in on the new Charger kit! 

In looking at the sample in the pictures, it looks mostly like the original. It does look like they have made some subtle corrections though- for one, there is the gap between the top edge of the front fenders and the cowl panel- which none of the MPC Coronets ever had! Also, the grille looks perhaps a bit more accurate than the original to my eyes. Maybe the new hood won’t have such severe cut lines for the custom version as the originals, so they won’t show up as ghosts under light paint. 

Now, I look toward modifying one of these to Super Bee configuration (I have a few extra ‘70 bodies that can give up roof sections) and perhaps building one as the Dick Landy drag car. I have been increasingly picky about my purchases lately, but I’m definitely gonna need several of these. 

Awesome. I have a few of the original annuals that I have restored and a few more to restore. This is great. I also wonder if they will do the same as they did with the 64 Cutlass. Offer the stock almost as issued convertible. Then when the hardtop comes out, issue it as the never offered 64 442 (hoping 68 Super Bee)!!

68 Super Bee a.JPG

68 Super Bee b.JPG

68 Coronet RT a.JPG

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

Awesome. I have a few of the original annuals that I have restored and a few more to restore. This is great. I also wonder if they will do the same as they did with the 64 Cutlass. Offer the stock almost as issued convertible. Then when the hardtop comes out, issue it as the never offered 64 442 (hoping 68 Super Bee)!!

68 Super Bee a.JPG

68 Super Bee b.JPG

68 Coronet RT a.JPG

Raoul....your Coronet R/T convert build ipictured above s superb!  Big congrats....TIM 

10 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Maybe the new hood won’t have such severe cut lines for the custom version as the originals, so they won’t show up as ghosts under light paint. 

Wash the plastic first, rough up the cut lines with sandpaper (if they are really thin, then rout them out with a small Dremel bit or scrape with a gouge blade).  Apply a good epoxy putty (pack it in leaving no air pockets), let cure, sand smooth, then block sand the top surface.  Ghost lines gone.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark said:

Wash the plastic first, rough up the cut lines with sandpaper (if they are really thin, then rout them out with a small Dremel bit or scrape with a gouge blade).  Apply a good epoxy putty (pack it in leaving no air pockets), let cure, sand smooth, then block sand the top surface.  Ghost lines gone.

Thanks, Mark. I’ll keep notes on this process. I definitely want to get to some of these soon! 

9 hours ago, Sport Suburban said:

68 Super Bee a.JPG

68 Super Bee b.JPG

68 Coronet RT a.JPG

Love these- especially the Super Bee!!!

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Great tip Mark, I'll have to give that a try next time I have to deal with those cut lines.

As for the upcoming MPC '68 Dodge Coronet kits, that won't be an issue as the stock hood won't have any cut lines to fill in.   Instead, you'll also get a Custom hood that is already been opened with a choice of optional hood scoops.   Just one of many improvements made to the original MPC design. 

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Great tip Mark, I'll have to give that a try next time I have deal those cut lines.

As for the upcoming MPC '68 Dodge Coronet kits, that won't be an issue as the stock hood won't have any cut lines to fill in.   Instead, you'll also get a Custom hood that is already been opened with a choice of optional hood scoops.   Just one of many improvements made to the original MPC design. 

-Steve

Steve, any idea if the Cragar G/T wheels will be included as in the original annuals? 

Cragar G/T Plus | hobbyDB

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Steve, any idea if the Cragar G/T wheels will be included as in the original annuals? 

Cragar G/T Plus | hobbyDB

Yes, the Cragar G/T wheels are in there with just about everything else that was in the original '68 annual version plus even a few tidbits from the '69 kit were tossed in too if I'm not mistaken.   

-Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Yes, the Cragar G/T wheels are in there with just about everything else that was in the original '68 annual version plus even a few tidbits from the '69 kit were tossed in too if I'm not mistaken.   

-Steve

What 69 parts are in included?

Edited by GMP440

37 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

What 69 parts are in included?

George, sorry it's best that some specifics aren't spelled out here yet until will get a little farther down the road with this.   The final layout out the two currently planned versions aren't finalized yet.  I'll just say that we provided some additional parts from the '69 Dodge Coronet annuals for cloning purposes.  Feel free to compare the originals to see how they differ in content. 

-Steve 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Thanks, Mark. I’ll keep notes on this process. I definitely want to get to some of these soon! 

The "fill in the back side" treatment can also be used in removing molded-in exhaust detail (the Coronet kit will not need that with its separate exhaust parts).  Most builders will just swap out the entire chassis instead of doing this, as often a newer kit can be found with better detail.  But I remember the old CAR MODEL magazine articles where this was done, and I can now do this in cases where I couldn't back then, so...

• Like 1