Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I could see the ‘69 R/T, but I have the suspicion that the availability of the old Monogram ‘69 Super Bee might have a bit of a cooling affect on that one.

But hey, I’ve been wrong before. 😊

The ‘69 would absolutely need a new grille though.

Steve

The 69 R/T; if Round 2 decides to procede after the 68's, I think it will be better seller than the Monogram 69 Superbee.  The body proportions are off a little bit.  Not that noticeable , but are there.  Also, is the Monogram Bee still coming with a Plymouth interior?  My 80's version of that kit had that interior.  A few innacuracies there as well.  I think more people prefer 1/25 scale over the larger 1/24 scale.  Would love to read other's thoughts on this.

42 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

The 69 R/T; if Round 2 decides to procede after the 68's, I think it will be better seller than the Monogram 69 Superbee.  The body proportions are off a little bit.  Not that noticeable , but are there.  Also, is the Monogram Bee still coming with a Plymouth interior?  My 80's version of that kit had that interior.  A few innacuracies there as well.  I think more people prefer 1/25 scale over the larger 1/24 scale.  Would love to read other's thoughts on this.

Still has the Plymouth interior. While it was a great kit for its time, it's long in the tooth (long standing inaccuracies not-with-standing). The inaccuracies which bothered me (since 1985 at least, though I'd built numerous copies prior to that) are the power disc brakes [not available on the 1:1] and the Road Wheels (colloq., 'Magnum 500'), which the 1:1 had gloss black 15"x6" 'HD' wheels with chromed retainers.
Then there's the lumps called carburetors...

Round2 could (should?) consider an accurate 1969 1/2 Super Bee 440 Six Pack, wheels and all. I'll have to refer to Hamtramck Historical for upholstery -- not sure if the base line 'Bee shared patterns with the higher grade 500 & R/T.

46 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

If this is the level of detail on this kit, then the nay-sayers have no leg! This thing is "off da hook", there is no comparison to the original issue. 

It's 100× better!!

I agree.  The level of detail is very good.  In addition, I'm fine with the front wheel pins too.

Keyser, and Mark B. Thanks for teaching some new things about my favorite Buick Kit! At least now I know how the Mod Stock kit wound up with Promo Wheels. I've been saving that Intake for a Nailhead Hotrod in a Model A or Deuce kit.

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Still has the Plymouth interior. While it was a great kit for its time, it's long in the tooth (long standing inaccuracies not-with-standing). The inaccuracies which bothered me (since 1985 at least, though I'd built numerous copies prior to that) are the power disc brakes [not available on the 1:1] and the Road Wheels (colloq., 'Magnum 500'), which the 1:1 had gloss black 15"x6" 'HD' wheels with chromed retainers.
Then there's the lumps called carburetors...

Round2 could (should?) consider an accurate 1969 1/2 Super Bee 440 Six Pack, wheels and all. I'll have to refer to Hamtramck Historical for upholstery -- not sure if the base line 'Bee shared patterns with the higher grade 500 & R/T.

The Superbee utilized the 440 model interior patterns.

1 hour ago, GMP440 said:

I agree.

I have no interest in ever building another Monogram '69, but I would love to have another crack at the MPC '69 R/T.......especially with an upgraded grille and interior!

Steve

• Like 1

Okay, now here come the complaints on the '68!  :D

Being as they were re-engineering the body, it would have been great if they would have eliminated the incorrect upper body crease on the doors.

But, I suppose that they're not that difficult to remove.

I'm sure most will just leave them as is.

Second, I really wish that they would have eliminated the molded in seat belts!

Took me a considerable amount of time to get rid of them on my project.

I would prefer not to have to do that again! <_<

But again, an item that most will probably be fine with.

For the record, if I were to build one of these, it's still gettin' a chassis swap. :D

PS.

Who's 3-D printing, or resin casting the up-top for this one? :lol:

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

28 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Being as they were re-engineering the body, it would have been great if they would have eliminated the incorrect upper body crease on the doors.

For the record, if I were to build one of these, it's still gettin' a chassis swap. :D

PS.

Steve

Can you point out the upper body crease in the doors?  Was trying to look for that.  

There are a couple of people on here who are pretty much negative about anything Round2 does. I'm just going to ignore them because they are whiners and don't get the costs involved in doing these niche kits. Yeah, wake up and smell the coffee, people who are interested in a 54-year-old model kit, let alone that old of a car, are dwindling. Our numbers are going down every day. Round2 decided that there was enough interest in it for the few people left to give us one that will not cost us $400 from evilbay. 

I am definitely interested in getting both the coupe and convertible of this kit. I don't mind the simplified frame (anyone here put together the 40 parts needed for the AMT 50th anniversary Camaro rear suspension?).  Detail is nice but up to a point. A 350-part kit takes three times as long to put together, and hey, we "aint gettin' any younger!"

For all of you who are going to get multiples of this kit anyway, I just looked on Harts Parts and he has the MPC bumpers, grille shell, grille, and hood (if needed) to help in converting the 68 into a 69.  You will have to modify/make a valance panel to go under the new grille and figure out something for the rear taillight and side scoop treatments, but with a little work you could have a 69 Coronet R/T as well. (Harts Parts has the Monogram taillight and side scoop assembly, but they are 1/24 so some downsizing would be required. Although Round2 could do that easy enough by creating a tree with these parts on it.

So, Round2, I love what you are doing! I have 4 of the 63 Nova kits (2 with engines, 2 without), 2 each of the 64 Cutlass convertible & 442 hardtops, and I am waiting for your 66 Mustang fastback to appear. I know of a certain 67 Mustang kit that I can get a better frame and engine from if I want.

So, keep up the cloning/improvements on the old kits.  Let me put in my wants since everyone else has: 66 Buick skylark; 61 Pontiac Bonneville Hardtop; 65 Chevelle, yes, I'll take the craftsman version if is all you got for me; 65 Falcon; 65 Fairlane; 65 Imperial; 65 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88; oh, and dig around, I really want a 65 Wildcat convertible! I know, it's only a promo but you could mold the parts and throw it in a box for us.

Thanks for your time, keep up the good work.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

PS.

Steve

Well, since you slapped the gorilla, I'll go ahead and take a poke at it, too. I can handle everything in this upcoming kit, but my one pet peeve is the incorrect boot cover.

No kit. Gorgeous promos of them, silver-blue ftw. Also did 65 Olds 88 convert promos. I forget if you have a 66 Bonny cvt but I think they did a 65. Mark will know if y’all don’t. I’ve got 66 Bonny cvt kit no promo though. 

I have both the 65 Bonneville Promo and the 65 Oldsmobile Promo. The one I don't have is the 65 Wildcat convertible.

spacer.png

I've repainted it and used new kit supplied bumpers on it. Just need to finish the chrome trim. I subbed a kit interior in it as well so I could detail paint the dash.

spacer.png

I haven't touched the Olds kit. I may just leave it or do some detail painting on the taillight area.

spacer.png

I DO NOT have the one shown below. It showed up on the bay for sale at a really high price that I couldn't justify paying, but I did get pictures though 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, keyser said:

No kit. Gorgeous promos of them, silver-blue ftw. Also did 65 Olds 88 convert promos. I forget if you have a 66 Bonny cvt but I think they did a 65. Mark will know if y’all don’t. I’ve got 66 Bonny cvt kit no promo though. 

AMT lost the contract for the 66 Bonneville, so no convertible from them. MPC did a 66 convert and hardtop.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RDean58 said:

spacer.png

Ouch! Don't remind me.

I had the body and chassis for this annual and I eventually threw it away because it had thick paint all over it. That was right before I learned how to strip paint from plastic. 

Aarrgh! Sob. 😭

Still have this box though. 

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks for those photos, @Hondamatic. I love the added details in the boiler room -- look at the radiator cap alone! 

The chassis looks great to me (others, I'm sure, as well). Very nice combination of original (headers, etc.) and new/modified (torsion bars, separate exhaust, detailed 8 3/4 assembly, etc.).

A winner and sales success is on the horizon!

I agree, the original issue never looked that good!

I'm satisfied with the appearance of the chassis. Sure there is more detailed chassis' available for those who want to go the extra mile, but what's included is workable as it is. It even includes something OTHER than a Hemi!

Does anyone remember how bad the General Lee chassis is? And that's got the same history as this one. This would be an improvement in that Charger too!

I do hope they include radiator hoses as I don't see any.

I see their future plans including the 68 hardtop, 69 conv., HT and A12 440+6. And if we're lucky a 4 door cop car and a wagon. Brady Bunch anyone? (I know, it was a Plymouth Satellite, but we can kitbash, right?)

But I'll take the 2 doors and make the others if I have to. I can see lots of ideas with this car.

tumblr_my0bmw3J0Q1qh5zuoo1_1280.jpg.d8c8f33d6de7b7d28fe4b43204707d32.jpg

tumblr_p1ydntSUo41s3pgtho1_1280.jpg.2d0e3e889539868d19709808641edf94.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I didn't know that there was never a '65 Wildcat convertible in kit form.

Ya learn something new every day. ^_^

Steve

The '65 Bonneville, Dynamic 88 and Wildcat convertibles were only made as promotional models.

Starting in '65, AMT began thinning the herd as far as convertibles went.  The full size droptop kits were probably lagging sales-wise, so they only kept the Chevy and Ford big cars through '67.

Funny thing is, they probably could have done both GTOs (hardtop and convertible) instead of combining them into one kit.  And the Mustang was so hot back then, that they could have offered all three body styles as individual kits.