Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

13 hours ago, Hondamatic said:

Screenshot_20220525-131133_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-131131_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-131127_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-131124_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-131120_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-131118_Instagram.jpg

Where I'm wrong, I'm wrong. That looks significantly better than I was expecting. I'm not thrilled with the lack of depiction of the front lower control arms but everything that is there is nicely defined and certainly holds up. Consider my prior concerns retracted as for about 90% of builders that ought to be more than adequate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’s the golden age for scale model car kit now, don’t forget how it was for many years. For my part, my basic level of satisfaction is that I have some unbuilt pickups and AMT Ford 49, anything beyond that is just a bonus. Simply put, I am grateful that there are kits, reissued kits and new kits to buy and build.

Edited by UNO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Starting in '65, AMT began thinning the herd as far as convertibles went.  The full size droptop kits were probably lagging sales-wise, so they only kept the Chevy and Ford big cars through '67.

Funny thing is, they probably could have done both GTOs (hardtop and convertible) instead of combining them into one kit.  And the Mustang was so hot back then, that they could have offered all three body styles as individual kits.

From what I've learned from those who were in the business back then, convertible kits never sold as well as hardtops.  Reasons for that are somewhat unclear.  Probably would have been even worse except those convertible annual kits often the market before the hardtop versions, meaning those "who had to have" the very latest 1/1 scale replicas bought the convertibles even when they would have preferred the hardtops had they both been available at the same time.   By the mid 1960's, as Mark notes, the trend was so pronounced the kitmakers started paring down the kit choices accordingly.    TB

4 minutes ago, keyser said:

Original 68/69’s had those.

Original 68/69’s had those. 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

The RT wheel covers that will be included are similar but different, most notable is the lug detail that the RT covers have. 

Steve

• Like 1

This is a picture of my still not completed 68 Coronet 500 convertible with the original green top in "crush" material. The green top was a one year only deal. 

The windshield of 68-70 B-body convertibles is taller the hardtops and sedans. When the B-body was facelifted from 67 to 68 the hardtops/sedans got a new lower roof and shorter windshield. Since the convertible and station wagon were low volume sellers they were left unchanged with the taller windshield.

Craig

68 Coronet.JPG

• Like 3

I just wish I had a local shop owner who cares as much as Justin. The owner of my local Hobby Town is into trains and his son is into RC. If they had their way, train and RC is all the shop would stock. Their Evergreen display is stashed behind a shelf positioned to look like an opening to the back office. My guess is they only have models and kid's toys because HT requires it for their franchise, and the models were last restocked before Thanksgiving. Their answer if you ask for something is "No, but you can order it and we'll have it in a couple of weeks" I ordered two of the then-new Revell AAR Cudas, and the son lost my contact card that he personally had me filled out. Four weeks later I had my models that I had pre-paid for.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Who will be the first one to test fit the all new Coronet grill into a '69 Charger ;)

You will need to use the front fenders from the Coronet as well as they were used on that Charger 500.

49 minutes ago, Vince Nemanic said:

I just wish I had a local shop owner who cares as much as Justin. The owner of my local Hobby Town is into trains and his son is into RC. If they had their way, train and RC is all the shop would stock. Their Evergreen display is stashed behind a shelf positioned to look like an opening to the back office. My guess is they only have models and kid's toys because HT requires it for their franchise, and the models were last restocked before Thanksgiving. Their answer if you ask for something is "No, but you can order it and we'll have it in a couple of weeks" I ordered two of the then-new Revell AAR Cudas, and the son lost my contact card that he personally had me filled out. Four weeks later I had my models that I had pre-paid for.   

Thank you and I'm with @keyser on the Revell AAR 'Cuda. That's a standard stock item. I feel badly for you that you had to pull teeth just to get a pair of those. Now, I'll grant that sometimes Revell gets a bit "in between" when it comes to when containers arrive at the distributors which is why I tend to restock Revell in a single big go but that's not really an excuse. Besides, if they're a train shop then one Atlas HO scale 40' Reefer costs more wholesale than a single Revell domestic 1/25th-1/24th kit. It's not as if cost should be giving them shivers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kelson said:

I would love to see Revell offer this as a kit,they could combine the 69'Daytona and the 69'charger and tool a new grill,would be far superior to the Round2 kit.

Or maybe Round2 can look if there's ROI on adding a version to their snap kit.

55 minutes ago, RDean58 said:

You will need to use the front fenders from the Coronet as well as they were used on that Charger 500.

I am wrong. The Daytona charger used (according to something I read) modified 70 Charger front fenders while the Superbird used modified 70 Coronet front fenders.

1 hour ago, RDean58 said:

Actually, no. The Charger 500 used standard fenders, the Cornnut grill was just pushed forward for aerodynamics. 

The Plymouth Superbird used Dodge Super Bee fenders to match up with the nosecone. That's also why there is a filler panel between the hood and nose. It was needed to blend everything together. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Yeah, that rear quarter sculpting really likes a fat tire, doesn't it?

Hard to tell in this picture but the wagon has even more room for rear tires. 

I sold this one about 10 years ago and wish I had it back.

68 coronet wagon front.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Beautiful Car, George!

What kit has those Hub Caps?

No kit has those.  Fireball Modelworks sells those hubcaps.  I beleive they are 3d printed.

Edited by GMP440

48 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Absolutely no kit?

spacer.png

I seem to recall the covers in this being reasonably close...

Those hubcaps on this kit are not the same.  If you put them next to each other, they are different.

1968 and 69 Dodge hubcaps - Copy.jpg

1968 and 69 Simulated road wheel hubcaps - Copy.jpg

Edited by GMP440