Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

They probably got the axe in the early 1970's, as AMT was in trouble then.

Look at the three Sand rail type Dune Buggies that were just detailed chassis with a couple extra parts added in. Desperate attempts to recycle old tooling without spending much (if any) tooling dollars. There was quite abit of that kind of thing going on then. I can see that some Promo Style Closed Hood Kits might have been scrapped just because they were not popular with many modelers then.

Dennis Doty and Jim Keeler know much more about this than I do. I wish they would weigh in.

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Hmmm, that surprises me as apparently these molds weren't destroyed after their initial runs.

I believe that the Flower Power kits were re-released in the early to mid 60s, so I assumed that possibly these molds might still be around and intact.

But I suppose that there are many other factors that determine whether or not a mold has survived.

Steve

AMT did a mass scrapping of tools in the early to mid 1970s. Add to that some shrinkage from several transfers of ownership. As I understand it, even some tools created during the Ertl years are MIA.

25 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

As I understand it, even some tools created during the Ertl years are MIA.

The RC2 years weren't kind to the AMT/MPC brands or the tooling. 

Consider this when wondering why some 90's-era AMT/MPC kits haven't been reissued by Round2 

Edited by pack rat

6 minutes ago, pack rat said:

The RC2 years weren't kind to the AMT/MPC brands or the tooling. 

Terrible era -- bland, uninspired box art; typos galore ( "1967 Pontica" , for an instance ); and oddball plastics. Thank god that Round2 came along and straightened out that Racing Chumps mess.

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Hmmm, that surprises me as apparently these molds weren't destroyed after their initial runs.

I believe that the Flower Power kits were re-released in the early to mid 60s, so I assumed that possibly these molds might still be around and intact.

But I suppose that there are many other factors that determine whether or not a mold has survived.

Steve

Steve....the "Flower Power" series (and several other "series" genres) were all reissued around 1968-69 (going from memory here, did not check definitive sources) and my understanding is that tooling for many of them were scrapped following those production runs.  They were scrapped for both the value of the tooling raw materials as well as the tax write-offs, from what I was told my AMT insiders so many years ago.  I covered a number of these AMT "reruns with fresh box art merchandising" offerings in an article called "AMT After the Trophy Series" (or something similar) in the mid 2000's in the other model magazine.  Represented best available info on these kits at the time the article was written....

Best...TIM 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Steve....the "Flower Power" series (and several other "series" genres) were all reissued around 1968-69 (going from memory here, did not check definitive sources) and my understanding is that tooling for many of them were scrapped following those production runs.  They were scrapped for both the value of the tooling raw materials as well as the tax write-offs, from what I was told my AMT insiders so many years ago.  I covered a number of these AMT "reruns with fresh box art merchandising" offerings in an article called "AMT After the Trophy Series" (or something similar) in the mid 2000's in the other model magazine.  Represented best available info on these kits at the time the article was written....

Best...TIM 

So sad. 
When this sort of definitive information arises, it becomes obvious that models like the ‘60 Mercury are gone forever.

Nobody is ever going to spend the time, effort or money to create an all new tooling of such a car. 😞

Steve

Just now, StevenGuthmiller said:

So sad. 
When this sort of definitive information arises, it becomes obvious that models like the ‘60 Mercury are gone forever.

Nobody is ever going to spend the time, effort or money to create an all new tooling of such a car. 😞

Steve

I'd love to see the '62 Galaxie come back but sounds like it's gone too :( I still need a '62 Galaxie convert!

27 minutes ago, RSchnell said:

I'd love to see the '62 Galaxie come back but sounds like it's gone too :( I still need a '62 Galaxie convert!

I have a good ‘62 convertible body that I might be convinced to let go. 😉

Unfortunately, I only have the body and hood.

Steve

51 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Gotta wonder how some of those tools did survive - why was the '62 Buick saved and not the '62 Ford? Or the '61 Galaxie curbside and not the full detail convertible?

True, and some kits like the 69 Lincolns, 68 Pontiac and Chevy just disappeared. End of the line tools, never to be seen again. Probably many more I don't remember. 

23 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Here is a link to the 68 Superbee show circuit car.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/02/convertible-super-bee-with-yellow.html

That explains why the original Coronet R/T convertible kit indicated that it could be built as a Super Bee.  I didn't go to the '68 Detroit Auto Show and was unaware of the show car until now.  Thanks for posting this.

Although I understand a lot of tooling was scrapped I know suspect there is still some undiscovered stuff.

I have a sample shot of the 66 Thunderbird Craftsman that was run in the early 2000's. The tooling was not labeled correctly.

I cant find any pics of it right now. When I do I create a new post. 

Here’s another one that “could” be around in some form.

Went from the annual, to this re-pop, and then finally to the stocker.

Possibility that there could be enough of this one left to still do something with?

I suppose the first question would be, is there any interest?

9231FBE2-3C00-4DD3-9CAB-1E716D4A056A.jpeg.de90a4e217d2c1a2aef40c7e7a56cbf5.jpeg

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Possibility that there could be enough of this one left to still do something with?

Steve

As I've mentioned in a few posts, if enough of the original tooling survives (chassis, glass, engine), this could get a new body and interior, then converted into a '66 Dynamic or Delta 88.  Another option would be to create a '65 Jetstar 1 or '65 and '66 Starfire with new bodies and interiors and use the '65 GP glass. 

15 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Have to say I have never seen that kit.  Btw there is one on Ebay now.  I think 245.00

Steve

21 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Steve

Problem is, all the tooling that was used to make this version were "touched" to make the stocker. Body, chassis, interior shell, front and rear bumpers. 

So, unlike the Olds conv. there isn't much left of the original tool. Same with the Buick Skylark. However, I think there would be a justifiable selling market for the Buick, not so much for the Delta 88.

At this month's toy show, one of my favorite vendors had an AM radio version of the '65 Olds I'd never seen before. Asking price was $80, which I didn't think was outrageous, and I'm sure he'd have knocked $10 or more off for me. But it had one broken/missing A-pillar, which was pretty much a deal-killer for me. (I'd have had to think about it for $20, though, or even $30.)

I have the Dynamic 88 radio, which was made by Philco, then a Ford subsidiary.  Most don't work well if at all.  AMT made different models of the radio from 1964-1969.  The Thunderbird is the only model that was made into a radio each of these years.

As Patrick stated, there can be a business case for '66 and '67 GS models even if the '66 tooling is no longer viable to use.  If the '65 Dynamic 88 tooling is too far gone to use, there might be a slim business case if Round2 makes the Starfire or Jetstar 1, but most of the younger modelers wouldn't even know what these cars are.   

53 minutes ago, Motor City said:

I have the Dynamic 88 radio, which was made by Philco, then a Ford subsidiary.  Most don't work well if at all.  AMT made different models of the radio from 1964-1969.  The Thunderbird is the only model that was made into a radio each of these years.

As Patrick stated, there can be a business case for '66 and '67 GS models even if the '66 tooling is no longer viable to use.  If the '65 Dynamic 88 tooling is too far gone to use, there might be a slim business case if Round2 makes the Starfire or Jetstar 1, but most of the younger modelers wouldn't even know what these cars are.   

Then again slap a certain soda carrier with the red and white swirl on it and anything becomes marketable. Include a vending machine and I'm in!

• Like 1

I'll throw this one out there as well to see what you all think.

AMT didn't do a '63, and the '65 was a completely different body style, so it was definitely a "dead end" kit.

Do you suppose this one might still be lurking in a dark corner somewhere waiting for another moment in the sun?

image.jpeg.161ddde09fb7f65505c0994760336855.jpeg

image.jpeg.b748b2da0918482d4665bbaee1cb52d4.jpeg

Steve

• Like 4