Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

One might think the '64 GP might still exist, as many of the Seventies reissue "Grand Slam" '65 kits had '64 clear parts in the box (which didn't fit of course).  I took one kit back to the store, and opened two more there...all had '64 glass.  If I wanted to open another one, I had to take one of them...so I opted for my money back.  Another one I got in a collection some years later also had '64 glass.  Later production kits may have had the correct piece, but I never ran across one.

Then again, the '65 kit has much of the engine from the '64.  The same is true of the Bonneville kits...some engine parts (different tooling from the GP) are in '61 through '65 annual kits, and all reissues of the '65.

It wouldn't be much of a stretch to do '62 -'64 Grand Prix models out of the '62 Catalina SD kit.  These were some of the sharpest cars in GM's lineup at that time along with the Riviera and Corvette.

Another mystery is what happened to the '64 Wildcat?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Motor City said:

It wouldn't be much of a stretch to do '62 -'64 Grand Prix models out of the '62 Catalina SD kit.  These were some of the sharpest cars in GM's lineup at that time along with the Riviera and Corvette.

The AMT '64 Wildcat was recently featured in the "Classic Car Kits" column in the you-know-what all-modeling magazine ....TB

12 hours ago, Motor City said:

Sean Carpenter did a resin conversion of the 62 Grand Prix  a few years ago.  It was excellent.   

21 hours ago, drodg said:

Sean Carpenter did a resin conversion of the 62 Grand Prix  a few years ago.  It was excellent.   

And so did Missling LInk.  Both it and the Sean Carpenter version were, as David said, excellent.   TB  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Sean H said:

The test shot and box art for this kit are shown at the 20 second mark on The Scale Model Experiment you tube channel . See the video titled “fourth annual plastic in the park model car contest and gathering” posted on Oct 9/22.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Even more amazing, a new tool of a subject many said would never happen!

"It's too old, it'll never sell."

Gosh , I remember that.  I was one of the ones that every now and then would start a thread on the MPC 68 Coronet and hoping it would some day be released.   Had a few naysayers on those threads stating that Round 2 would never do it because it was not cost effective or the tooling was gone because it was modified for the 69 Coronet.  Even a couple stated that they hope it's not released just to keep the values up on the originals.  For the most part, they were wrong.  Very happy that this is finally happening.  Definetly a long time  coming.

Edited by GMP440
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Gosh , I remember that.  I was one of the ones that every now and then would start a thread on the MPC 68 Coronet and hoping it would some day be released.   Had a few naysayers on those threads stating that Round 2 would never do it because it was not cost effective or the tooling was gone because it was modified for the 69 Coronet.  Even a couple stated that they hope it's not released just to keep the values up on the originals.  For the most part, they were wrong.  Very happy that this is finally happening.  Definetly a long time  coming.

The '68 Coronet R/T was on the consideration list at Round 2 during virtually the entire time these comments were appearing on this board, if I am remembering correctly.  They were aware of the interest, but there was no way to affordably and realistically change the existing 1970 tooling set back to 1968 form and get a quality outcome.  Plus, the 1970 kit has proven to be a reliably good seller during multiple rounds of reissues, so they would not have wanted to remove the possibility of more releases in the 1970 form. 

It was only when the "cloning" approach was worked out and "productionalized", if you will, did it become realistic to pursue a 1968 Coronet as a future kit release.   Once that happened the work on this R/T quickly began.  As I stated on the NNL Motor City Round 2 thread, Steve and the team have been working diligently on this project for over a year now, and what we are getting will be notably better in several areas than just a complete retread of the original annual kit.   TB 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IIRC, the whole 1968 Coronet fanfare started from a c.2004 (my word, almost 20 years ago!) teaser photo of an all-new-tooling 1968 R/T hardtop, either at the beginning of the RC-2 ownership, or at the end of the ERTL et al. ownership. 

Even as recently as 5 or 6 years ago, nobody imagined that the MPC 1968 annual would -or, could- be reissued, let alone in an improved-upon-the-original reissue!