Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the 1/25 MPC '68 Coronet/Super Bee RT Convertible...

2 hours ago, GMP440 said:

When the MPC 68 Coronet hardtop kit gets released after the convertible kit would love to do a Dick Landy car [.]

The Landy '68 'Net would be a great addition. IIRC, it's a 440 Mag car; can't recall if he also campaigned a Hemi powered '68 'net -- I believe that the '68 Charger held the Hemi for those purposes.

It'd be great if the fenderwell headers were to be included in the Landy SS Coronet.

36 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The Landy '68 'Net would be a great addition. IIRC, it's a 440 Mag car; can't recall if he also campaigned a Hemi powered '68 'net -- I believe that the '68 Charger held the Hemi for those purposes.

It'd be great if the fenderwell headers were to be included in the Landy SS Coronet.

The net was a Landy test mule car for go fast parts !

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, 1972coronet said:

To the best of my knowledge. The Landy Coronet . Either the 68 or 69 were always wedge head powered cars.

The 68 thru 70 Charger were Hemi power. He had 68 and 69 Darts powered by both

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

I see Model Roundup Online has these kits on Pre-Order Status.

They're getting closer!

I cannot wait to see HPI Guy's review when he gets one.

I would bet that one is already on it's way to HPI Guy as we speak.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

I wonder how long it will take Round2 to make the hard top ?

I would expect a hardtop version to follow probably about 9-12 months after the convertible if past timing by Round 2 of derivative kits using the "cloning" method is any example. 

Later on, I expect you may even see a third version using this tooling set, based on the hardtop body, but that one could follow a year or two after the hardtop (my guess only).  

TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, tim boyd said:

Later on, I expect you may see a third version using this tooling set, based on the hardtop body, but that one could follow a year or two after the hardtop (my guess only).  

I'm not alone in hoping for a version with vintage racecar equipment (headers, rims - Motor Wheels Spyders, please! -, etc., etc.).

7 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Later on, I expect you may even see a third version using this tooling set, based on the hardtop body, but that one could follow a year or two after the hardtop (my guess only).  

TB 

Would your guess start with a "Super" and end with a "Bee"? 😉

On 12/7/2022 at 10:03 PM, Robberbaron said:

Would your guess start with a "Super" and end with a "Bee"? 😉

The cost to do a correct 68 Super Bee really depends how the tooling was designed.

The tail light areas are different between R/T and Super Bee. If the tooling is designed in a way that allows this slide to be easily changed it makes the change easier.

All 68 Super Bees are pillared two door sedans not hard tops. This could be handled by glue in pieces, so the body does not need to be changed.

The grille might need to be different because of the R/T emblem and Super Bee emblem are different.

Not 100% on this but 68 Super Bees might have been bench seat only and they had a quite different upholstery.

Carmak

23 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Can we talk about the trailer in this new kit?

Seems to me, that those of us who want trailers have gotten our wishes fulfilled lately.

Got the one in the '63 Wagon, and now this "Haul-a-way" (U-Haul) trailer.

It's a good time to like trailers.

I love trailers. I found some U-Haul decals on EBay a while back for my haul away trailer.

• Like 1

Love the trailer, Tim.

Looking at the two trailers ('63 Wagon & '68 Coronet) It appears to me, that the two trailers mentioned in a long ago SAE Magazine Article as being U-Haul style trailers, are both going to be on the market.

Given the That the Tilt Bed ('76 Caprice) and the Two Axle (Mod Stock kit) are both out there too, we now have 4 of the 5 most common MPC/AMT trailers in fresh plastic for the first time in 45+ years!

This is great!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I built this trailer from a castoff original issue 1968 Coronet R./T kit trailer.  Basically, just removed the fenders, cut down the side rails and added two motorcycle ramps....TB DSC 0507

DSC 0511

DSC 0473

Tim, I love it when you post some of the great stuff you made.  What did you make the runners that the bikes sit in on the trailers??

9 hours ago, slusher said:

Tim, I love it when you post some of the great stuff you made.  What did you make the runners that the bikes sit in on the trailers??

Carl....thanks for the comments on my old model posts.  I'll try to keep at it. 

The runners, I think, were simply cut from Evergreen or Plastruct U-shaped channel ....super quick and easy.  Of course, to be fully accurate, it would probably benefit from some diamond plate along the horizontal surfaces....

Best....TB 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Carmak said:

The cost to do a correct 68 Super Bee really depends how the tooling was designed.

The tail light areas are different between R/T and Super Bee. If the tooling is designed in a way that allows this slide to be easily changed it makes the change easier.

All 68 Super Bees are pillared two door sedans not hard tops. This could be handled by glue in pieces, so the body does not need to be changed.

The grille might need to be different because of the R/T emblem and Super Bee emblem are different.

Not 100% on this but 68 Super Bees might have been bench seat only and they had a quite different upholstery.

Carmak

I think the above recap is an excellent description of the changes that would be necessary to do a Super Bee kit, and as a result a good explanation of why a 1968 Super Bee kit variant is very unlikely in my point of view.  Some of these changes to accommodate a SuperBee would be impossible to achieve without mods to the newly done body tooling pieces, which in my view is very unlikely from a business case perspective.  

Historically, the 1968 Coronet R/T was the much better seller than the 1968 SuperBee which of course was a hurry-up mid year intro and never got any real market momentum in 1968.  (Of course, it handily overtook the R/T the next model year, and then only added to its desirability as a kit topic with the A13 SixPack addition at mid-year 1969.)   Which means from a kit marketability point of view, a kitmaker would not want to irretrievably change a tool to the less popular version in the 1/1 scale world...

BTW, no insider info here, only my thoughts....

TB

Edited by tim boyd

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

I think the above recap is an excellent description of the changes that would be necessary to do a Super Bee kit, and as a result a good explanation of why a 1968 Super Bee kit variant is very unlikely in my point of view.  Some of these changes to accommodate a SuperBee would be impossible to achieve without mods to the newly done body tooling pieces, which in my view is very unlikely from a business case perspective.  

Historically, the 1968 Coronet R/T was the much better seller than the 1968 SuperBee which of course was a hurry-up mid year intro and never got any real market momentum in 1968.  (Of course, it handily overtook the R/T the next model year, and then only added to its desirability as a kit topic with the A13 SixPack addition at mid-year 1969.)   Which means from a kit marketability point of view, a kitmaker would not want to irretrievably change a tool to the less popular version in the 1/1 scale world...

BTW, no insider info here, only my thoughts....

TB

Unless there is difference in the front fenders I am missing, I would not anticipate it would be too difficult to simply add in the hood, revised grille, tail panel, B-pillar and bench seat on a separate sprue. It would be up to the builder to add in these pieces. The standard 383 in the Super Bee is visually similar to the R/T's 440. Either of them could get a 426 Hemi. The Super Bee came with a Charger dash which I imagine are plenty around even if the kit does not come with one.

14 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Carl....thanks for the comments on my old model posts.  I'll try to keep at it. 

The runners, I think, were simply cut from Evergreen or Plastruct U-shaped channel ....super quick and easy.  Of course, to be fully accurate, it would probably benefit from some diamond plate along the horizontal surfaces....

Best....TB 

Thank you, Tim!