Model Cars Magazine Forum

Achieving paint scaling

A cheap (or likely free, if you have a wife or girlfriend) alternative to that chipping medium is regular hairspray.

Shoot the 'base' color first (in this case, the metal tone.  Then, once it's good and dry, shoot hairspray and let THAT dry.  Then, paint your top color (that dark gray / black in this case).  Then, using a toothpick, a brush, or whatever else you have to hand and some water, gentlypick at the paint.  The water will dissolve the hairspray (which has to be water soluble, or you'd never be able to wash it out of your hair), loosening up the paint on top in a controllable way so you can add chips, scratches, or achieve that 'scaling' look.

Simple! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

A cheap (or likely free, if you have a wife or girlfriend) alternative to that chipping medium is regular hairspray.

Shoot the 'base' color first (in this case, the metal tone.  Then, once it's good and dry, shoot hairspray and let THAT dry.  Then, paint your top color (that dark gray / black in this case).  Then, using a toothpick, a brush, or whatever else you have to hand and some water, gentlypick at the paint.  The water will dissolve the hairspray (which has to be water soluble, or you'd never be able to wash it out of your hair), loosening up the paint on top in a controllable way so you can add chips, scratches, or achieve that 'scaling' look.

Simple! 

Does this method work with enamels or does it have to be acrylics to allow the water to soften it to reach the hairspray? 

Thank you!

41 minutes ago, redneckrigger said:

Does this method work with enamels or does it have to be acrylics to allow the water to soften it to reach the hairspray? 

Thank you!

Acrylics, I THINK - never tried with enamels or lacquers, in honestly…

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, redneckrigger said:

Thank you!

No, acrylics only. Enamel paints will not allow water to penetrate to allow it to soften the hairspray.

• Thanks 1

Pat, many ways to do this. Here's mine.

I brush a coat of mixed Tamiya silver and flat gray to achieve the dull metallic underside

I coat it with the desired color, usually with Vallejo acrylics.

Light sanding with 400 grit dry,  carefully as the paint goes off easily.

Add brown/mud color washes.

Optional, but not done on this pic, you can add little spots of rust using the Vallejo...Rust.

Chipped paint.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Acrylics, I THINK - never tried with enamels or lacquers, in honestly…

Salt and a toothpick works with lacquer paints

fsRLnDm.jpg

lq0pAI2.jpg

8Bwvdhn.jpg

Chip away the salt with a toothpick, soak the body in warm water to dissolve an remaining exposed salt. I added some bright rust afterwards. 

• Like 1