Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

Guys, just a caution that I've noticed over the last few years that "ScaleMates" kit info is sometimes partly or completely wrong.  Always a good idea to authenticate any important info seen there with a post on this or other authoritative Model Car forums/boards....TB    

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

This kit is based on the existing Revell convertible kit, it will feature an all new hardtop body, and other parts which differ from the '72 ragtop.

Image result for revell 442

Image result for revell CUTLASS

Image result for revell 442

Thanks, another kit to add to the list of kits to get. I wonder how easy it is to find though...

5 hours ago, dbostream said:

Thanks, another kit to add to the list of kits to get. I wonder how easy it is to find though...

I you don't want to bother with import from the US and the woes and cost that go with it, I suggest checking the following European websites

www.toyman.nl a Dutch vendor who deals in new and obsolete kits

U.S.Car Models - Ihr Fachhandel für Automodellbau und Luftschiff-Souvenirs (uscarmodels.eu) a German vendor who deals in new and obsolete kits.

Cheers

Luc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw niteowl7710’s post and pictures of the Revell 71 442 (the picture of the built kit is his picture).

At first I thought either the front wheel opening looks kinda long or the rear wheel opening looks kinda short but after finding a 1:1 pic taken at about the same angle I am not so sure.

Carmak

71 442 SIDE VIEW.jpg

71 442 SIDE VIEW 1to1.jpg

The built kit looks to be sitting very low. Nothing that can't be corrected.

The top of the side window opening/roof rail still looks a little low and straight to me, doesn't seem to have been improved from the test shot photos.

• Like 2

Exactly right, Jens.  I think you and Craig are in the hunt.  This coupe shares with the convertibles the characteristic of a slightly flattened, "pancaked" look all around.

We've long been cautioned against comparing one kit with another as a reference standard, but when one of those kits is plainly more correct, it will illuminate exactly where the other goes astray.  In other words, don't have a JoHan '70 anywhere around when you first grok this one.

But this is a modification of tooling 13 years old, with a necessarily backward glance.  Revell's '71 Mustang looks like a more encouraging harbinger of what's ahead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JS23U said:

The top of the side window opening/roof rail still looks a little low and straight to me, doesn't seem to have been improved from the test shot photos.

I see that -- the DLO should slightly swoop-down with the character lines of the quarter-panels-to-door transition (at least from the comparison between the 1:1 and the 'finalised' prototype). 

The convertible 'origins' are there for sure, as @Chuck Kourouklis mentions. 

Hopefully it'll be an easy fix (i.e., the quarter windows will still work post-op). Hopefully some judicious filing and sanding will present satisfactory results -- without having to heavily modify the interior section of the same region.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:18 PM, tim boyd said:

Here's an image of the prior generation ('78/'79} Holiday Coupe exterior and interior.  Very seldom one of those would be built without a vinyl roof.  This image taken at the 2018 Oldsmobile Reunion in Lansing, Michigan.  Extensive Olds Reunion event pictures at this link for any Olds fan who might be interested....TB ...

DSC 0688

DSC 0689

I’d love to have that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dodgefever said:

That facet on the leading edge of the hood/fenders looks way overdone, but I guess it can be reprofiled.   It almost looks like they copied the '70 hood without taking account of the taller '71 grille.

Looks right to me Stu.

I think it's just the way the model was painted. missing the body colour around the headlight bezels that makes it look off.

71 Oldsmobile 442 Flash Sales, 62% OFF | www.angloamericancentre.it

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

That facet on the leading edge of the hood/fenders looks way overdone, but I guess it can be reprofiled.   It almost looks like they copied the '70 hood without taking account of the taller '71 grille.

Interesting observation, but incorrectly backwards. The original version of this kit is the 72 Convertible, and this is a 1971. None of it would copied from a 1970. That was a JoHan kit back in the day. 

17 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Got mine yesterday, odd that it's released in Europe first, also haven't seen the US boxing advertised.

Well Luc, Revell is owned by a German company since 2018 so it's maybe not that odd.