Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

41 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Since it's meaningless without photos...

20221101_112929.jpg.6a5c49fac82a7d77d85a28f6f3b0e9d8.jpg

20221101_113000.jpg.d4759c308aba56de9b0be6bf4f4616df.jpg

20221101_113011.thumb.jpg.fa553b661a86a9f004499cf2a06938fd.jpg

The photos and heads-up regarding this kit certainly give me pause. At the price of the kits today a modeler should not have to chase down a good copy to build. Opening up sealed kit boxes and hoping to find a plastic body that is not warped isn’t my idea of modeling fun; probably won’t be reaching for the wallet on this kit. 
Joe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Nunes said:

The photos and heads-up regarding this kit certainly give me pause. At the price of the kits today a modeler should not have to chase down a good copy to build. Opening up sealed kit boxes and hoping to find a plastic body that is not warped isn’t my idea of modeling fun; probably won’t be reaching for the wallet on this kit. 
Joe

This happens regardless of who made the kit, sometime things get crushed or damaged, and it has happened to me a few times. It is really no big reason to skip out on a kit. 

If this becomes a big issue with the manufacturer, I am sure they will take steps to correct the situation. 

But, to each their own. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Went to the LHS and we broke every box he had, and EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. was damaged at least as bad as the original one. So I got my money back and Revell has a serious problem on their hands with the U.S. boxing of this kit.

Again.....

This should not keep happening. QC should have caught this. 

"There is never time to do it right--But--There is always time to do it over" New Revell Motto. (See the Dodge Ramcharger 4x4,'59 Caddy, ect. ect.)

• Like 4

In this day and age of high price point kits manufactured overseas we need to vote with our wallets when it comes to kits issued with poor quality control issues. Fixing a warped roof with warped/bent pillars is not fun no matter how much I would like to have the subject kit. I hope the issue is addressed and fixed properly…then I will take another look at purchasing it. 
Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

UPDATE 

Went to the LHS and we broke every box he had, and EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. was damaged at least as bad as the original one. So I got my money back and Revell has a serious problem on their hands with the U.S. boxing of this kit.

That's terrible. Makes me wonder how many unopened kits I have in the stash that potentially have warped/damaged parts.

The old Jo-Han flat boxes had their own issues with no give room if a box happened to get slightly crushed.  The AMT Prestige kit boxes were oversized, so there was plenty of room to pack everything in there and not get all squished together.  Maybe retailers complained about the flat and oversized boxes since it alters the shelf efficiency in the stores.  Shipping multiple sizes of cases from the manufacturers is less efficient, too.

1 minute ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like a simple cube of cardboard, wedged under the roof, would have saved a lot of heartaches.

AMT was known to use that method and it protected from a lot of damage. 

Or putting in some plastic "dunnage" in the form of some support struts to keep the roof from collapsing. Oooor packing the box in a way to get the body off the the side of the box with the roof contacting the box side.

Making kits for 70+ years, but still can't figure out how to pack them...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Making kits for 70+ years, but still can't figure out how to pack them...

Not "Still Can't Figure Out".

Try "Not Willing To Change, Or Spend 'time/money/effort' to do any better".

The more I think about this, the Sadder and Angrier I get.  These are professionals. This is their business. Their Job. There are literally 'No Excuses' why this should be happening........

First Moebius and their Ramp Truck, and now this from Revell. Moebius, you can almost understand. First Kit this size, new process & parts, Yada, Yada. Should not have happened, but did. Maybe just trying too hard, too fast. And they have stepped up to make things right.

But Revell?

What is the excuse?

As the old joke goes: "They want to succeed in the worst possible way. And they are!"

Ultimately, Revell is in the Consumer Products Business. Corner-Cutting, & Carelessness have taken over almost all industrial Consumer Products companies. Why should Revell be any different? Apparently nobody cared enough to prevent a repeat of past problems,, and if anybody did care (or even remember that this is a common problem for Revell), they did not have any authority to change the process and prevent the problem. It is all just Sad. Sad and I'll say this "Stupid". It should not have happened. It did anyway. Now, more time and effort and money wasted, fixing a problem that should never have happened.

At least it is just toys! Not Lives.........

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Again.....

This should not keep happening. QC should have caught this. 

"There is never time to do it right--But--There is always time to do it over" New Revell Motto. (See the Dodge Ramcharger 4x4,'59 Caddy, ect. ect.)

Curious how QC is supposed to catch this when it appears to happen after it leaves the factory?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, espo said:

While a lot of blame is pointed at Revell on the crushed boxes, this may have more to do with how they were handled once they were in the "pipeline" or shipping. 

Granted, but it was still someone's brain child to pack them roof to the outside of the box, lying on it's side exposing it to the most potential for supply chain damages. If a case of them is abused in any way the bodies have no where to go but inwards since there's pretty much zero empty space in a case of 12 kits in a box.

But channeling my inner Dad, I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. I have a EU boxed version coming from SpotModel where the price of the kit is a whole 62 cents more than my LHS was charging for the North American version. Looks like the decals in the European kit are better as well. Granted there's shipping involved now, but I picked up several sets of decals to make the entire process more palatable. I feel bad for people who don't have a LHS to return their purchase to and investigate the back stock to keep the problem from spreading. I suspect much like the Moebius situation, there's going to be a several month lag between now and when the tooling can be re-racked to produce a slew of bodies.

Edited by niteowl7710

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Granted, but it was still someone's brain child to pack them roof to the outside of the box, lying on it's side exposing it to the most potential for supply chain damages. If a case of them is abused in any way the bodies have no where to go but inwards since there's pretty much zero empty space in a case of 12 kits in a box.

But channeling my inner Dad, I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. I have a EU boxed version coming from SpotModel where the price of the kit is a whole 62 cents more than my LHS was charging for the North American version. Looks like the decals in the European kit are better as well. Granted there's shipping involved now, but I picked up several sets of decals to make the entire process more palatable. I feel bad for people who don't have a LHS to return their purchase to and investigate the back stock to keep the problem from spreading. I suspect much like the Moebius situation, there's going to be a several month lag between now and when the tooling can be re-racked to produce a slew of bodies.

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

I’ve always thought that the method of sticking the interior tub and chassis plate into the body before sticking in the box is the best way to pack it.

While valid points, I wonder just how much control Revell as a company has over the manufacturer and boxing of the kit. How much say they may or may not of had over which way the body is put into the box.  I have to agree the reinforcing of any type for the roof of the model would have to be a good idea. How the product is placed in the box has a lot to do with the condition when it arrives at the retailer. Some have mentioned that a number of the models are sitting on the sales shelf with crush type damage which would seem like maybe the placing of the finished product into the shipping boxes. There seems to be any number of possible issues between the manufacturing and we as builders getting our hands on them. 

One more example of the absolute obsolescence of the "classic" domestic model kit box size. 

In the coming years that's certainly one of four things I would love the domestic kit manufacturers to finally agree should go the way of chromed headlights and non-replica custom options. Their Asian and European competitors certainly established ages ago that there's a better way to package model car kits. 

• Like 2

Just to add to this, I picked up a 442 this weekend from the same place that James / niteowl7710 did. We were both at the same model contest. I bought mine very early, first thing actually, in the morning whereas James bought his later. My kit was fine. The only explanation that I could come up with is that my kit came from a different case. This vendor definitely had two cases of these kits and was selling these things like hotcakes. Maybe my case sold out and James got his from the other case? But that does not explain why the ones at the store were also bad. Maybe I was just lucky?

Edited by Nacho Z
Typo

2 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

Just to add to this, I picked up a 442 this weekend from the same place that James / niteowl7710 did. We were both at the same model contest. I bought mine very early, first thing actually, in the morning whereas James bought his later. My kit was fine. The only explanation that I could come up with is that my kit came from a different case. This vendor definitely had two cases of these kits and was selling these things like hotcakes. Maybe my case sold out and James got his from the other case? But that does not explain why the ones at the store were also bad. Maybe I was just lucky?

Yeah I would have thought maybe that was it, but now we're seeing people well outside of the area who are also getting damaged kits. Makes me wonder if something didn't impact the container itself somewhere along the line and some of us are just the lucky ones who happened to get kits out of those specific cases.

23 hours ago, espo said:

While a lot of blame is pointed at Revell on the crushed boxes, this may have more to do with how they were handled once they were in the "pipeline" or shipping. 

15 hours ago, CARBON 302 said:

Two ordered and two damaged. The boxes do not show any major signs of being crushed.

I'm wondering if the outside of the boxes were not damaged if the boxes were placed body side down and  the weight of the trees could cause that damage. Would explain why so many from a case would be damaged.