Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

1 hour ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'm wondering if the outside of the boxes were not damaged if the boxes were placed body side down and  the weight of the trees could cause that damage. Would explain why so many from a case would be damaged.

Possibly! And add that to the fact that the cases got thrown around during shipping and gravity will take it's toll.

52 minutes ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Has anyone got one of these kits in the Revell Germany packaging to see if they also have the A Pillar issue?

I have one coming, it's somewhere in the FedEx system between here and Spain, but the kits are packed entirely differently, and actually might be the first RevellAG kit that body isn't floating around the box outside of the plastic. 

1458309330_Screenshot_20221104-110905_SamsungInternet.jpg.bc7fd07c6eb85a62390dd82792a2fcd7.jpg

In the North American boxing the sprues to the left are stacked on top of each other with the body wedged down the side.

5 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'll pay a 'premium' for the Euro/Asian market version just to avoid any potential damage. 

Are the decals -- is the decal sheet vaster in the ROG version? That seems to be the case.

The only premium would be the shipping costs, the actual kits themselves have the same MSRP of $37...which most places have discounted down around $30ish on both sides of the oceans.

• Thanks 1

I just received mine, overall the kit is well done. Revell did something very smart in that they molded the taillights in clear so that you may leave the back up light portion unpainted...bravo Revell. My only negatives are that the panel lines are faint and need to be scribed and in my opinion, the tires seem to be on the small side and would hope Revell will  mold more appropriate tires on future kits. As with the 72 Cutlass kits, you have a choice between manual and automatic transmissions and the the required consoles, shifters and pedals. I can see a couple more of these kits in my stash.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Revell did something very smart in that they molded the taillights in clear so that you may leave the back up light portion unpainted...bravo Revell.
That's always a bonus... provides dimension vs. painted with white (though a pearl white is a little better). But, nothing beats the realistic dimension of clear lenses over a plated housing.

My only negatives are that the panel lines are faint and need to be scribed and in my opinion, the tires seem to be on the small side and would hope Revell will  mold more appropriate tires on future kits. As with the 72 Cutlass kits
I'm not sure as to why the panel lines are so shallow on new tooling. I first noticed the shallow lines on the 1970 Hemi 'Cuda Hardtop from a few years ago; the Nova as well. It's always a good idea to scribe panel lines anyhow, if for no other reason than to clean-out any "burrs" or uneven surfaces, that way the panel accent of one's choice (I use Tamiya) will flow seemlessly.
Revell's tyres leave much to be desired insofar as their size (mostly sidewall height). At least their newly tooled kits are 1/25 scale, so swapping a set of AMT's pad printed tyres for the too small kit tyres is a simpler deal vs. 1/24 scale stuff of yore (i.e., Monogram et al.)

I'm thinking the shallow panel lines on newer kits are designed in, to prolong the life of tooling made from steel that isn't as hard as that used for older kits.

On the surface of the tooling, the panel line is raised as opposed to the recessed line in the molded part.  The older tooling was probably made from harder/tougher steel in order to produce many times more units: promotionals, toy store friction cars, kit bodies, and sometimes slot car bodies.  Newer kits aren't produced in anywhere near those numbers, so the manufacturers are probably using "softer" steel that can be cut more easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BobbyG said:

I just received mine, overall the kit is well done. Revell did something very smart in that they molded the taillights in clear so that you may leave the back up light portion unpainted...bravo Revell.

That would be commendable if the backup lamps were integral within the taillight lenses, but they're separate lenses on either side of the license plate:

6790599-1971-oldsmobile-442-std.jpg

So not smart, just cutting corners.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

That would be commendable if the backup lamps were integral within the taillight lenses, but they're separate lenses on either side of the license plate:

begs the question: did they still include clear lenses for the separate backup lamps, or are they moulded with the bumper?

14 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

6790599-1971-oldsmobile-442-std.jpg

So not smart, just cutting corners.

Yeah, I got a little ahead of myself, just an oversight. I was happy to see clear taillight lens which I wish would be a common practice especially when their are multiple colors within.

Thanks! My friend William Scott provided the pics for the Revell of Germany Version. I don't have one. His came with some paint and the directions are very different but cool. As for the decals I noticed a few more under hood decals, shifter knob decal, side marker lights and the seat belts. Those are not on the usa version. I like the USA version having 1 piece side stripes myself but don't think that will matter to many. I don't really know till I'm applying them. 

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG

IMG_3523.JPG

5 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

I have a Revell of Germany version on the way, shipped from a US seller, so I will report on the condition of the A-Pillars when it comes in.

Mine arrived today in pristine condition. It's all about how Revell is cramming it in the North American box. It's clearly not a mole cycle (warping) issue at all.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 7:47 AM, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much, Raoul! Other than the two-dimensional seat belts, the sheets look identical (other than their layout).

I'm going to watch the last episode of your Johan 1971, later today.

Unless you have the two sheets to compare I can't even begin to explain how much better the European sheet is compared to the N.A. one. Everything about the the German sheet is more vibrant, in-register, and everything else you expect from Cartograf.  Plus it has the extras at the top and bottom of the sheet that the North American one doesn't include.

• Thanks 1