Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

27 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Unless you have the two sheets to compare I can't even begin to explain how much better the European sheet is compared to the N.A. one. Everything about the the German sheet is more vibrant, in-register, and everything else you expect from Cartograf.  Plus it has the extras at the top and bottom of the sheet that the North American one doesn't include.

Another point in favour of my decision to purchase the Euro version. Thanks much.

3 hours ago, stavanzer said:

So, it looks like the consensus is to avoid the American boxing and by the Euro kit, in order to keep from gambling on whether the body is Ruined.

I hope Revell learns a lesson. 

"Weird, we sold more copies to the European market than the American market!" 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Unless you have the two sheets to compare I can't even begin to explain how much better the European sheet is compared to the N.A. one. Everything about the the German sheet is more vibrant, in-register, and everything else you expect from Cartograf.  Plus it has the extras at the top and bottom of the sheet that the North American one doesn't include.

18 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Mine arrived today in pristine condition. It's all about how Revell is cramming it in the North American box. It's clearly not a mole cycle (warping) issue at all.

Screwing with something that becomes almost trivially expensive in volume as decals seems utterly stupid to me, and of absolutely no value whatsoever from a practical or really, even much of a profit standpoint, especially if all you're going to do is upset people who want replacements.

Curious..are the boxes the same?

Charlie Larkin

17 hours ago, stavanzer said:

So, it looks like the consensus is to avoid the American boxing and by the Euro kit, in order to keep from gambling on whether the body is Ruined.

I hope Revell learns a lesson. 

I have to admit I know which boxing of the 71 Mustang I'll be going for, just to avoid these kinds of problems.  It's why I gave up on buying the North American Revell Ferrari kits back in the 2000s, they'd always have warped chassis plates, warped hoods, warped bodies and the AG European boxings didn't suffer from those issues.

Also, I don't understand why we keep getting subpar decal sheets over here.  This really reared its head on those Ford GT Le Mans kits and seems to have carried over in minor ways ever since.  The Euro reboxings of stuff like the '69 Chevelle have tweaked sheets compared to the original offerings here.  When Revell distributed the Jaguar Coupe here it came direct from Germany with the Euro Decals AND the Euro Instructions.  Some bean counter must have saved 2 halves of one cent or something to justify why on earth it's cheaper to not only print two different style boxes, but also two different style instructions and decal sheets.  Now that the company is unified, and based out of Germany, my personal preference would be Revell figure out some sort of top & bottom long wide box (instead of the flimsy side opener) - take a cue from Tamiya and others who've gone to a flimsy top and corrugated cardboard bottoms.  Then just print one set of instructions and decals, put them in that one style of box and ship them out globally - like everyone else on the planet does.

The shoe boxes had their place when kits weren't as parts heavy as they are now - even if it resulted in box-scale kits over the years - but these days aren't 1962, these kits aren't $1.69 anymore.  I'm making a $30 "investment" in your product, start treating it as such.

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

Curious..are the boxes the same?

Charlie Larkin

No the European release uses the same long flat side opener that RevellAG kits have been packed in the past 10-15 years, the box art for it is a page or so back with the guy who got the kit with the paint set included.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I have to admit I know which boxing of the 71 Mustang I'll be going for, just to avoid these kinds of problems.  It's why I gave up on buying the North American Revell Ferrari kits back in the 2000s, they'd always have warped chassis plates, warped hoods, warped bodies and the AG European boxings didn't suffer from those issues.

Also, I don't understand why we keep getting subpar decal sheets over here.  This really reared its head on those Ford GT Le Mans kits and seems to have carried over in minor ways ever since.  The Euro reboxings of stuff like the '69 Chevelle have tweaked sheets compared to the original offerings here.  When Revell distributed the Jaguar Coupe here it came direct from German with the Euro Decals AND the Euro Instructions.  Some bean counter must have saved 2 halves of one cent or something to justify why on earth it's cheaper to not only print two different style boxes, but also two different style instructions and decal sheets.  Now that the company is unified, and based out of Germany, my personal preference would be Revell figure out some sort of top & bottom box (instead of the flimsy side opener) - take a cue from Tamiya and others who've gone to a flimsy top and corrugated cardboard bottoms.  Then just print one set of instructions and decals, put them in that one style of box and ship them out globally - like everyone else on the planet does.

The shoe boxes had their place when kits weren't as parts heavy as they are now - even if it resulted in box-scale kits over the years - but these days aren't 1962, these kits aren't $1.69 anymore.  I'm making a $30 "investment" in your product, start treating it as such.

My thoughts exactly. The only thing I can think of is the stores complaining about the larger box size, I can see no other reason why they are spending more to have different boxings for different regions.

2 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

No the European release uses the same long flat side opener that RevellAG kits have been packed in the past 10-15 years, the box art for it is a page or so back with the guy who got the kit with the paint set included.

So it really is just bad packing and giving short-shrift to what would most likely be this kit's primary market.

The Germans have a word for people engaging in such poor thinking....dumkaupf!

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

My thoughts exactly. The only thing I can think of is the stores complaining about the larger box size, I can see no other reason why they are spending more to have different boxings for different regions.

That's a weak argument to me, as someone who's got over 1k kits on shelves.  I can get 4 kits across any given shelf regardless as to the box width (shoe vs. Asian/Euro), but I can stack those long boxes one higher per shelf section because they're much "flatter".  So, I'm actually getting 4 more "long box" kits on a shelf section than shoe box size.  Anybody who's been hoardi...err collecting for long knows the height (or depth) of the U.S. style boxes have grown over the years from the 1980s until now.  I get that a mix and mash of box sizes takes up more space for sure but given that all but 4 companies in the world use long flat boxes, I doubt you're going to convince the world to adapt to "our ways".  

Edited by niteowl7710
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Also, I don't understand why we keep getting subpar decal sheets over here.  This really reared its head on those Ford GT Le Mans kits and seems to have carried over in minor ways ever since.  The Euro reboxings of stuff like the '69 Chevelle have tweaked sheets compared to the original offerings here.  When Revell distributed the Jaguar Coupe here it came direct from Germany with the Euro Decals AND the Euro Instructions.  Some bean counter must have saved 2 halves of one cent or something to justify why on earth it's cheaper to not only print two different style boxes, but also two different style instructions and decal sheets.  Now that the company is unified, and based out of Germany, my personal preference would be Revell figure out some sort of top & bottom box (instead of the flimsy side opener) - take a cue from Tamiya and others who've gone to a flimsy top and corrugated cardboard bottoms.  Then just print one set of instructions and decals, put them in that one style of box and ship them out globally - like everyone else on the planet does.

All of this. I was just thinking the three Tamiya kits I have (Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Volvo 850 wagon and the new Ford GT), they box their kits well. And, after managing a hobby shop, and talking with a lot of the shops around here, anyway, nobody seems to really mind the bigger boxes from a shelving perspective, especially if it results in stuff not being damaged.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

That's a weak argument to me, as someone who's got over 1k kits on shelves.  I can get 4 kits across any given shelf regardless as to the box width (shoe vs. Asian/Euro), but I can stack those long boxes one higher per shelf section because they're much "flatter".  So, I'm actually getting 4 more "long box" kits on a shelf section than shoe box size.  Anybody who's been hoardi...err collecting for long knows the height (or depth) of the U.S. style boxes have grown over the years from the 1980s until now.  I get that a mix and mash of box sizes takes up more space for sure but given that all but 4 companies in the world use long flat boxes, I doubt you're going to convince the world to adapt to "our ways".  

I was thinking more of the big box stores (like Hobby Lobby) who prefer to stand their kits up on the box side, and if they were the flatter Euro style boxes, then they would need to increase the height between shelves, thus having less shelf space. That's not to say I agree with them, I would prefer the larger/flatter boxes since it means the parts get packaged better.

1 hour ago, Jordan White said:

I was thinking more of the big box stores (like Hobby Lobby) who prefer to stand their kits up on the box side, and if they were the flatter Euro style boxes, then they would need to increase the height between shelves, thus having less shelf space. That's not to say I agree with them, I would prefer the larger/flatter boxes since it means the parts get packaged better.

They already do it for the semi and large scale kits (and many of the military/aviation kits), so they are capable. But I do understand their argument that it would reduce the number of spots overall for automotive if they switched over the the "bigger face" boxes

Count me as a retailer who would MUCH prefer if Revell switched to a flat box. I use free-standing aisle gondolas for stocking kits and import auto, armor, and air all sit nicely on their shelves while I feel like domestic kit builders aren't getting the same on shelf representation for the area as the others do.

• Like 1

The large flat boxes take up more space on store shelves when stood on one side.  Shelf space is a big deal with the big box stores, sometimes diecast cars are an odd scale in order to fit into a certain size box and take less shelf space.

Walmart isn't concerned with "shelf space" when it comes to model kits because they're exclusively ordering in palletized self-sellers from Round 2. That leaves Hobby Lobby as the "big box" concern for Revell. 

I don't think one retailer in one country should serve as an impediment to better serving customers AND cutting their costs by using a single global packaging. Besides, if it works for the biggest name in the business worldwide - Tamiya -then it's good enough to emulate.

Donut boxed RM’s were low point. Amazed more weren’t crushed, but shrink wrap only thing keeping them together. Johan flat boxes were great, just hard to get stuff back in the box again. 
The sci-fi boxes are all over the map, as are aircraft. That doesn’t seem to be issue, and big box stores ignore them mostly

Edited by keyser

Got the U.S release, and it only had the driver side a pillar bent a  little. It was an easy fix though. From what I seen among the parts there's going to be another copy of this car fairly soon! There are large wheel's attached to the tree that has the stock wheel backs, and custom rear axle as well included in this kit. Not to mention the drop top boot cover from the Convertible kit.  So i'm thinking a California wheels 2n'1 copy will be around soon.,,,, Pardon the blue paint on one of the Big wheel's , the piece that is in the center of the front grill is also on this tree so......................

DSC07155.JPG

DSC07153.JPG

DSC07154.JPG

Edited by ranma
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ranma said:

There are large wheel's attached to the tree that has the stock wheel backs, and custom rear axle as well included in this kit. Not to mention the drop top boot cover from the Convertible kit.  So i'm thinking a California wheels 2n'1 copy will be around soon.

Those are likely leftovers from the custom version on the 72 convertible, though that doesn't rule out a future custom release.

• Like 1