Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 71 442

W-31

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know of a resin caster or printer doing the louvered hood for the '71 442? The ram air hood in the kit is very well done but I'm thinking of something a little bit different. Also, these decals seemed to be unique to the non-W-30 version of the car.

30630028-1971-oldsmobile-442-std.jpg

oldsmobile

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/10/2023 at 6:34 PM, mikos said:

Nice build!  However, that flat saggy upper window line and the elongated front wheel well shape really bothers me.  

It's astounding how often Revell does stuff like this. I have to wonder if there are any functional eyeballs present in the room when reviewing CAD files and test shots, etc. I hadn't noticed the elongated front wheel opening because my eyes cannot unsee those sad/saggy drip rails. That's not that hard to fix, but c'mon, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Zoom Zoom said:

It's astounding how often Revell does stuff like this. I have to wonder if there are any functional eyeballs present in the room when reviewing CAD files and test shots, etc. I hadn't noticed the elongated front wheel opening because my eyes cannot unsee those sad/saggy drip rails. That's not that hard to fix, but c'mon, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. 

It throws off the front fender shape as well.  It’s like the front half of the model is slightly stretched out.

14 minutes ago, Mark said:

Wouldn't be a stretch to swap parts between '71 coupe and '72 convertible kits, to end up with a '71 convertible and '72 coupe.  

The differences between a '71 442 and '72 442 are pretty trivial...the tailights and maybe the seat upholstery pattern? 

59 minutes ago, Motor City said:

James,

I meant a '71 442 convertible kit.

The 71 Coupe was something done afterwards in terms of the tooling, there was never a roofed car baked into the original tooling. So doing a '71 Convertible would require making an additional insert with the 71 Upholstery Pattern on the Convertible specific door panels. Which granted wouldn't be the world's largest investment, but I'm not sure they'd necessarily sell well enough considering the pace of the 1972s. The only one of those that really moved quickly was the one with the Linda Vaughn figurine that also happened to have the correct grilles to do a Cutlass Supreme.

46 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The differences between a '71 442 and '72 442 are pretty trivial...the tailights and maybe the seat upholstery pattern? 

Taillights are different, I believe the rear bumpers in the kits may be different (they aren't on the actual cars, but might be in the kits for some reason).  Jo-Han did the promos back in the day, '71 and '72 interiors were the same in those so I'm guessing changes were minimal.  The 1:1 '72 midsized GM cars were holdovers; what appeared for '73 were originally set to be the '72s but a strike at GM pushed them back.

For '71 and '72, the hardtops and convertibles used different seat patterns.  The interior door panels also differ in that the 442 and Cutlass Supreme convertibles (and Cutlass Supreme hardtop) used door pull straps in the center of the simulated wood grain panel.  As stated, the rear bumper could come off of the '71.  If the door panels in the '72 H/O or Pace Car are correct, then swapping parts isn't a big deal. 

By the way, the '72 Jo-Han kit's rear bumper was modified for the 3-over-3 taillight pattern. 

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The 71 Coupe was something done afterwards in terms of the tooling, there was never a roofed car baked into the original tooling. So doing a '71 Convertible would require making an additional insert with the 71 Upholstery Pattern on the Convertible specific door panels. Which granted wouldn't be the world's largest investment, but I'm not sure they'd necessarily sell well enough considering the pace of the 1972s. The only one of those that really moved quickly was the one with the Linda Vaughn figurine that also happened to have the correct grilles to do a Cutlass Supreme.

It looks like they just added a different insert to make the hardtop out of the convertible tooling.  The front wheel well shape has the same inaccurate stretched out flattened shape as the convertible.  That is, unless they copied/cloned the convertible tooling and made a hardtop version out of it.  

On 10/11/2023 at 7:52 PM, Zoom Zoom said:

For about the last 15 years, it seems like it's a 50/50 proposition whether Revell will manage to get the body correct on any new release.  For every '68 and '69 Chevelle kit (which most people seemed to agree looked nuts on correct), you also get a '69 Nova or '67 Camaro kit with at least one major proportional or contour error (maybe only one problem if you're lucky).

This one is especially infuriating because Johan already did the 70-72 442's with their typical great proportional accuracy.  All Revell needed to do was get a hold of a USA Oldies '70 442 and give it to their team to clone the body.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 2